Status: updates are kind of slow. sorry.

Hard Water

vi

...
Am I insane?
...

The thought fleeted through my head as I lay in bed next to Callum, staring up at the ceiling for what seemed like hours on end until the silence began to feel heavy, like it was weighing me down and pushing me into the bed like he had done the night before. He still slept soundly beside me, never stirring, oblivious to my inner turmoil. I briefly fantasised with the thought of him never waking up. I decided that reasoning with myself about my current state of mind was no use and a waste of time: I had gotten myself into this situation. Still, I wondered how I had ever considered Callum a good boyfriend and a loving partner. My dependence and loneliness obviously knew no bounds.

I glanced over at the small bedside table, searching for a clock to check the time; there wasn't one. I heaved a sigh. My phone was still in my handbag, which I realised with dismay was sat on the floor on the other side of the large bed. I would have to risk waking Callum up in order to retrieve it, something that I really didn't want to do. Was it worth it? I didn't know if I could even get signal in such a desolate place. It seemed like my attempts to escape would be worthless.

Still, I couldn't lie next to him any longer and slid out of bed as quietly as possible, then crept over to my bag and withdrew my phone, flicking on the screen. Just as I suspected, the signal was nonexistant. The time read 8AM. Was it really that early? My sleep had been restless, and I would be exhausted for the rest of the day.

Tossing my phone back into my handbag, I grabbed my belongings and left the room, leaving the key inside: I wasn't planning on coming back. I would find a way off the island somehow, no matter if I had to persuade some old man to lend me a ride on his fishing boat. My thoughts briefly drifted back to the two men we had encountered when we had first arrived, and I shuddered.

They were right, though. This island was no place for me.

Holly wasn't downstairs when I managed to creep down without making too much noise, but I spotted Luke outside in the front garden, digging up something or other. He glanced up when I closed the door behind me and called out a greeting. I mentally cursed when the full force of the early morning breeze hit me: the sun was still hidden behind the clouds, and I had forgotten my coat.

"Where're you going without a coat?" Luke asked, concern in his voice.

"Just for a walk," I replied vaguely, "nice morning, right?"

"Aye," he agreed, but continued to look at me doubtfully, eyeing the bag clutched in my hand. "What's the bag about?"

I had to think fast. "Camera," I said quickly. He nodded, much to my relief.

"Here," he said, "take my coat. I don't want you to be cold." I was about to protest, but he was already wrapping the warm piece of clothing around my shoulders. I could feel his breath on my neck. "Thanks," I smiled up at him, looking straight into his brown eyes, his face too close to mine which made the movement awkward.

"You're welcome," he breathed, and for a dazed moment I could have sworn he was about to lean in and kiss me, but he gracefully moved away and resumed his digging. I stood there dumbly, watching him, for a few seconds before I hurried away.

It was a shame he wouldn't be getting his coat back.