Status: Completed

For the Love Of...

Eighteen

Lila is very pale and tired looking. I creep in and she turns her head towards me and smiles, making her face light up. Thats the Lila I knew. She tries to sit up, but fails almost immediately. The nurse that lead me in rushes past me and helps Lila by propping an extra pillow behind her head. The nurse looks at the IV in her arm and pats her upper arm. She turns and smiles at me, leaving the room.

"I've been having some trouble during labor." Lila says weakly. She seems like she's struggling just to keep her eyes open. I put Ainsley on the seat next to Lila and smile over at Lila. I walk to her white bed and take her hand and squeeze it. Lila blinks her frosted blue eyes at me.

"What's going on? What are the doctors saying?" I ask Lila and she shakes her head shamefully. A small tear escapes her right eye. I squint at her and bend down to look at her face. Something bad is going to happen..And Lila knows it.

"They..They said, since I was still partying and drinking during my early pregnancy, there could be something seriously wrong with the baby. I'm only 7 and a half moths along. They did an ultrasound a little while ago and didn't tell me anything. They said both me and the baby may not survive. Theres only like a 38% chance or something..Panda, what am I gonna do?!" Lila is hysterical now.

Unknowingly, I begin to cry. What if I lose my best friend? What if she loses her baby. I put my free hand over my mouth and realize that all this hatred I had for Lila was totally gone. This was bigger than me being mad about Zane and Lila having sex. Even me being mad that the baby could be Zane's. I had to be here for Lila.

Lila still cries and I bow my head and brush my tears away. I let go of her hand and go to the other side of her bed, get and and wrap my arms around her body. I lay my head on Lila's shoulder and let her cry. And cry..And cry. I rub her back trying to calm her down and relieve some of the pain I know she's having.

Lila finally falls asleep, just as Ainsley begins crying. I get up slowly in order not to awake Lila, and tiptoe over to Ainsley. I pick her up out of her carseat and sway with her so that she stops crying. I remove the carseat from the chair and sit there instead. I lay Ainsley on my legs and unbutton her clothes in order to change her. I quickly change Ainsley in what seems like a minute. I feel like a pro now! I have a 10 day old baby and already I'm pretty good at changing her diaper in a very short time. I laugh at myself then look over at Lila. My stare is broken when my phone starts buzzing from the diaper bag. I pick up Ainsley and cradle her in my arm and retrieve my phone in my back pocket.

"Hello?" I ask not looking at the caller ID

"Hey..Panda. Sorry I had to run off like that. I had to do something for my parents..Are you still home? I wanna bring you out to lunch." Zane says quickly.

"Uhm..Actually I'm at the hospital." I say with a low voice, mindful of Lila.

"WHAT?! THE HOS-! Whats going on!? Is Ainsley okay?! Are you alright?!" Zane screams in my ear and I roll my eyes.

"I'm here with Lila. She's going into labor." I tell him looking over at Lila.

"Oh..Oh. Do you want me to come? I mean..Does she want me to come?" He says nervously.

"She's sleeping right now. I don't know if she wants you here. But you should come and look after Ainsley so I can be with Ly."

"Which hospital?" Zane breathes out heavily

"Near Lila's house." I say sighing. Zane hangs up the phone without a goodbye or anything. Rude.

I throw my phone into Ainsley's carseat then pull Ainsley up to my shoulder. I pat her back for a few seconds and she lets out a small burp. I grin and continue to pat her back. My focus turns to the large, wooden door when a small tap pounds on it. The door opens without a sound and I smile at the same nurse who let me in before. She returns at smile at me, then walks to Lila's bed. She lifts a sheet off of her, making Lila shiver and pop her eyes open.

"Hey, honey. The doctor is following behind me, she'll be here in a little while. She's gonna see if you're dilation is any different. If not, she'll decide if you'll need a c-section, okay?" The woman speaks sweetly and shortly. I see Lila nod behind the nurse. I then see her allow a single tear roll down her pale face, followed by an entire stream. The nurse rubs Lila's arm and whispers something in her ear somewhat audible.

"Ma'am, I'm gonna need to ask you to leave. Theres the doctor now." The woman looks at me with big eyes. I stand up automatically and zoom pass the doctor leaving the room with Ainsley securely in my arms. I look around for a vending machine because my stomach feels like its about to explode. I'm starving. I decide to go to the elevator and explore the hospital to find some food. I press the button with my free hand and wait patiently. The elevator finally comes up and the doors open, and when they do, I see a familiar face. Zane. I get in and he stays in just smiling at me.

"Fancy meeting you here." Zane says wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I lift Ainsley up and make Zane hold her. He kisses her forehead and rocks her. I press the button to the ground floor and the doors close very slowly.

"How'd you get here so fast?" I ask very curiously. Zane's eyes open wide and they return to their normal beauty.

"I was in the area." He says very plainly while nodding his head. The elevator comes to a stop and the doors open quickly this time. I step out of the elevator tripping and falling onto the floor face first. How embarrassing, especially in front of my fiancé. Zane laughs loudly and obnoxiously. He walks out of the elevator and looks down at me. I stand myself up and roll my eyes at him annoyed by his immaturity.

I storm pass him and walk to the vending machines a few feet in front of me. I reach the machine with a variety of snacks and bow my head still embarrassed about my sudden fall. I giggle at myself then look over at Zane who is looking up at the ceiling. He looks for fucking sexy today. I mean he does everyday, but as I'm looking at him, I really understand how gorgeous he is. I blush and look at the snack machine again and see a 4 pack of Oreos for $1.00. Yum. I reach in my pocket looking for any loose change. Finally digging a wrinkled dollar bill out of my pocket, I shove it into the machine and press the correct code for my Oreos. I bend down to get the Oreos then walk pass Zane trying to not look at his sexiness.

I lead Zane to the elevator and press the button and the elevator opens instantly. I walk in and so does Zane holding Ainsley against his chest. I press the button back to Lila's floor and we go up quickly. The doors open again and I get out speed walking to Lila's room. The door is wide open so I go inside and Lila is sitting up with her head down. I walk in and take her hand. She smiles at me with tears falling down her face.

"They're pretty sure the baby is sick. I'm gonna have to get a c-setion in an hour. Pandora..I..I'm so sorry for what I said to you. How I treated you.." Lila says with her eyes closed.

"Ly. Stop. Don't think about that! You need to stop stressing its not good for the baby." I say calmly. I look back at Zane standing in the doorway with Ainsley still laying against his chest. I return my attention to Lila. The first thing that comes to mind is them having sex. Maybe this time Zane will be there for his child's birth..His second child's birth.

I snap myself out of my own thoughts and let go of Lila's hand looking down at my package of Oreos. I split it open and take one and shove it in my mouth nervously. I hand the package to Lila but she just shakes her head rejecting my favorite snack. I chomp the cookies down so fast I almost choke but I just cough it off. I see the dark nurse return into the room and rush over to Lila.

"Lila, the doctor has time to do your section now. You're going in like now. Again, ma'am I'm going to need to ask you to leave." The beautiful nurse says as sweetly as possible. I take the diaper bag and carseat, withholding my phone inside of it to meet up with Zane. I take my phone out of the carseat and put it in my back pocket. Zane motions to a near by waiting area where he begins to lead me to, but I ignore him. I run back into Lila's room and realize that the nurse is already pushing her out.

"Wait!" I stand in front of Lila's portable bed blocking the nurse's way. I take Lila's hand and kiss her cheek. I smile at her and the nurse moves the bed not even coming close to hitting me. Skills. I let go of Ly's hand and says loudly, "I'll see you and the baby as soon as possible! Good luck! I love you!" I say and Lila simply raise her left arm and gives me a high thumb up. I laugh and let a small cry out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ya know, this entire story has only been within a week. A lot can happen in a week..Obviously. I'm thinking about writing an entirely new story. I have a few ideas so far..We'll see. I'll start it soon!