Status: This is somewhat of a "Beauty and the Beast" fan-fiction with different ideas, action, and characters.

Thorns of the Beast

Chapter 3

As I reached the top step I turned to take one last look at what I assumed would be Christopher’s ash body. To my complete surprise, there was no ash, nor body. Only pools of dust and sunlight. For a second I thought he may be playing a trick on me. My guard shot through the roof as I slowly backed away from the stairs. Suddenly my foot caught on something and I fell backwards through the air and landed on my back; forcing the oxygen from my lungs. Pain shot through my arms and back as I lay writhing in pain.
After a few coughs to regain my breath, I propped myself up on my elbows to see what had caused my fall. Under my left foot lay the candle I had used to like the ball room. Small amounts of smoke drifted up from the wick and caught in my nostrils. I coughed slightly before persuading my aching body to stand and grab the candle. Blood rushed all over and for a moment everything was dark and I became dizzy. I stumbled backwards, but was caught.
I jumped at the touch of another human and whipped around, prepared to use the candle as a weapon if I had to.