‹ Prequel: Settle Down
Status: In progress. Updating 1-2 times a week.

I'll Be Your Safety

Distractions

It has been four weeks since Liv has started staying at our house. Even though Sarah only stayed over a handful of times over the past month, Liv continued to sleep in my room every night. I could tell Niall was slightly weary of this, since he knew what I had done to her before; but I made it a point to keep my promise to myself and help her as much as I could.

“Harry?” I heard Liv call, just as I was buttoning up my shirt.

“Yeah?” I replied hastily, digging around my closet for my shoes.

“Did you see what I did with that suitcase of clothes?” She strode in, with Ethan on her hip. She was clad in one of my fluffy white robes, and had her hair and makeup already done.

“Isn’t it in Ethan’s closet?” I stood up, the shoes I had been looking for in my hand.

“Ok, thanks.” She set Ethan down, and then dashed out of the room in search of some clothes. To Niall’s insistence Liv had taken a month off her jobs, to relax and recover. But, being her hardworking self, she got bored of staying around the house all day, and convinced him to let her go back to her job at the radio station.

“You ready?” I called down the hall. I fumbled slightly when I realized I did my shirt buttons up wrong, and settled on just taking the shirt off all together. I bend down and picked a random one off the floor and slipped it on. One check in the mirror told me I needed to change again. I just so happened to put on the shirt that little Ethan had spit up all over the other day; great.

I sighed as I carefully pulled that shirt off and found yet another one off the floor. I sniffed it once, then shrugged and pulled it over my head.

“Ma, ma, ma, ma.” Ethan chanted, running down the hall. I watched as he turned the corner, and then a small cry emanate from his room.

I laughed lightly, and jogged down the stairs into the kitchen where Niall was. He was leaning against the counter, polishing off a bowl of cereal.

“Hey mate, you going down to the studios again today?” Niall asked, barely managing to speak around his mouthful of food.

“Yep.” I said, popping the ‘p’ “I’m excited, were doing a few test runs today, then tomorrow’s when the real shit happens.” I grinned giddily.

“Daddy?” I heard Ethan’s small voice echoed through the house. Niall shook his head and laughed. “I’ve gotta go get that.” He smiled, placing his bowl down before dashing up the steps. I watched Niall retreat up the stairs, then tended to my growling stomach, settling on some toast.

I was just finishing up my food when Liv and Niall descended down the stairs. I stood up and placed my plate in the sink, then spun around to watch the duo handle a sobbing Ethan.

“Shh, baby its ok.” Liv cooed, slowly making her way to the corner of the room. While still bouncing Ethan up and down she managed to sling his diaper bag over her shoulder, then walk back over to the kitchen. By now Ethan had ceased his cries, and now gurgled happily as Liv passed him off to his father.

“Ni, can you drop him off at the sitter for me? If I do I’ll be late for work.” Olivia smiled shyly. Niall nodded. “Sure, no problem.” He took the bag from off her shoulder and slung it over his own.

“You ready?” I asked, picking my keys up off the counter.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” She sent me a small smile. I watched nonchalantly as Liv’s gaze flicked to Niall, and softened slightly. Something about the way she was looking at him caused a small twinge of jealousy to poke at my stomach.

Olivia’s POV

There was a certain loneliness that followed me around everywhere I went. No matter how much time I spent around Harry, Niall and… Sarah, I just felt empty. I needed someone to be there for me, to hold me close at night and kiss me when I was feeling down, someone to confide all your deepest secrets and memories in.

“C’mon Liv, its now or never.” I heard Harry call into the house.

“Coming!” I yelled back. “Okay love, I’ll se you later.” I kissed Ethan’s head, waved goodbye to Niall, and dashed out of the door. Hastily I grabbed my bag off the floor, and ran barefoot to Harry’s car. I then slipped into the passenger side door, closing it gently behind me. Harry started the engine as I slipped on my shoes, and did up my seatbelt. Shyly I shot him a small smile as we pulled away from the house and towards the station, which was coincidentally near Harry’s studio.

“Thanks again for driving me.” I said quietly.

“No problem.” Harry replied coolly, turning a corner. Within minutes Harry had pulled up in front of the station, and I was gathering my bag to leave.

“Thanks again, Harry.” I smiled, and then jumped out of the car. As I closed the door I waved at Harry while I started my way towards the door.

The moment I opened the door I was met again with the sudden overwhelming energy. A few people I had never seen before were racing back and forth between the hallways, all clutching things to their chests. I managed to weave around the bustling group of people, and steal away behind my desk. I sighed happily at the untouched corner, the small section of the building that had been kept faithfully mine, even though I had been absent so long. I turned on the desktop monitor, which had been long untouched, and started reorganizing everything.

“Olivia, long time no see.” Max trilled. I was just picking up my things to head out for lunch break, until he stopped me. Max was the music/program director for the station, which meant he oversaw most of the songs, promotions, and advertisements on the station.

“Max, hey.” I smiled shyly, and clutched my sweater closer to my chest. Max was a really nice guy and all; he could just be a little… pushy.

“What’s a pretty girl like you doing going out for lunch alone? I’ll join you.” He placed his hand on the small of my back; an action which was suitable for other, closer male friends to do; but in this situation made my skin crawl slightly. I shot him the best smile I could muster up as he held open the door for me.

“So, your still single, right?” He drawled as we slowly meandered our way to the nearest café. His arm slipped further down my back and I gritted my teeth.

“No, actually I’m not.” I spilled, in a desperate attempt to revert his current position.

“Your not?” He immediately dropped his arm, and I practically sighed in relief.

“No.” I trembled slightly, immediately regretting my pathetic lie.

“Damn women, your all the same. All such lead-ons.” He muttered, promptly spinning on his heel and turning back in the direction of the station. Internally I was relieved to have lost him in such record time, but I was annoyed with his childish behavior.

“Where are you going?” I called after him with no reply. I sighed, watching his retreating back stomp away. One glace to my right told me I was almost at the café, so I continued my way up to its doors. I readjusted my sweater once more before stepping into the cool restaurant. I frowned past the line of thirty people, all waiting to get served, and nearly bumped into someone on my way out.

“Sorry.” I cast my eyes down to the ground, not making eye contact as I tried to slip past them. My breath hitched when the unknown suitor caught hold of my forearm. My initial reaction was to yell, but my eyes followed up the familiar tattooed arm, and I relaxed slightly.

“Harry, you scared me.” I laughed, accepting his warm embrace.

“You just got off lunch break?” He asked, displaying his dimpled smile.

“Yeah, I did. How was the studio?” I asked, as we advanced one spot in line.

“Amazing. It’s just like old times.” He sighed, his happy expression suddenly turning placid “But it’s not as fun without the boys.”

I was just about to reply; when over Harry’s shoulder I noticed Max walking up to the café.

“Oh, no. Harry, just play along with whatever I say to this guy, please” I whispered quietly. Nervously I shrunk against his side and tapped my fingers on the glass case as again we advanced in the long line.

“Hey, Liv. So, is this your boyfriend?” Max glided up, a fake smile plastered upon his face.

“What are you doing here?” I asked shakily. I could feel Harry’s warm hands press into my hand, which hung limply against my side.

“What? A guy can’t come for lunch?” He laughed too loudly, drawing the attention of many patrons.

“I never-“

“Anyways, my name’s Max.” He stuck a hand out to Harry, who begrudgingly accepted it. I could tell Harry didn’t like this guy; his body language was too obvious.

“Harry.”

“So are you the guy Liv was talking about?”

“Yeah.” I rattled. “He is.”

“Oh, well. I won’t keep you two busy.” He said snidely “See you later, Olivia.”

I released the breath I hadn’t realized I was holding, and clutched Harry’s arm for support. “I’m sorry. He was advancing on me, and I didn’t know what to say-“

“Liv, it’s fine. I didn’t like the little asshole anyways. He just wanted to get into your pants.” He grimaced.

“Yeah, I guess your right.” I sighed.

“How can I help you?” The woman over the counter chirped happily. I hadn’t even realized we had finally advanced the long line.

“Oh, I’ll just have a salad.” I replied after a long pause.

“And for you, sir?”

“I’ll have that.” Harry pointed to a sandwich in the glass case.

After packing up the food the woman smiled “Okay, will that be together, or separate?”

“Together.” Harry answered quickly. He lightly bumped my hip to move me out of the way, and shot me a devilish grin.

“Harry-“

“No.” He replied instantaneously, swiping his credit card in the machine.

“Have a nice day!” The woman cheered, waving. I mumbled an inaudible reply, turning on my heel and stalking after Harry.

“You didn’t have to do that, Harry.” I frowned, following him outside and onto the sidewalk.

“No, but I wanted to.” He replied firmly “I’ll walk you back.”

Reluctantly I agreed, silently cursing that I wouldn’t have to deal with Max when Harry wasn’t around. We walked towards the station slowly, not sharing many words. I enjoyed the silent company; it was nice to not have to speak all the time. It seemed like no time before we ended up on the front steps.

“Here’s your food.” Harry handed me the bag, pulling his own sandwich out.

I was about to thank him when, out of the corner of my eye, I caught Max and his good friend, Geoff staring at me.

“Shoot, Harry they’re staring.” I mumbled, keeping my eyes on his face.

“Where is h-“ He turned his head to look.

“Don’t look.” I hissed. His head immediately snapped back to my face. “Shoot, pretend your saying goodbye, kiss me on the cheek or something.”

“What?”

“On the cheek. Kiss me on the ch-“ I was cut off abruptly by Harry’s lips pressing firmly onto my own. My initial reaction was to tense up, since I was so caught off guard, but after a few moments I softened into his touch. Before I knew it I was leaning towards him just as he was pulling away.

“Hope that’ll do the trick. See ya later, Liv!” He started down the stairs, shooting me a cheeky smile and a wave. With his back to me my hand fluttered up to my lips, feeling the spot where he had just touched me. I hadn’t even noticed I was watching his skinny-jean clad butt until I snapped back into reality. Slightly shakily, I turned on my heel and strode into the office, still slightly in a daze.

Max and his friend immediately fled the scene when I entered, exchanging hushed words and the occasional glance in my direction. I settled down into my desk, placing my lunch on the table and steadying my shaky hands. Even though I’ve kissed him before, none of them felt so, real. It was unexpected being kissed by Harry for the first time in years, but surprisingly- I liked it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Please PLEASE comment and tell me what you think. Your opinion means so much to me, and it really keeps me motivated to add more chapters. The more comments and replies, the more it'll get updated. I just wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to everyone who commented on the last chapters, and have given me words of encouragement on any of the chapters. It honestly makes my heart swell every time I see a new subscriber or a new comment. I love all my followers SO much and I can't even explain to you how I feel <3
Thank you all so much!