‹ Prequel: Settle Down
Status: In progress. Updating 1-2 times a week.

I'll Be Your Safety

Out of Reach

I stood beside the coffee maker, a piping hot mug in my hand. Blankly I stared at the granite counter, following the pattern absentmindedly. I heard footsteps approach me, and I was brought back to reality, causing me to realize how hot the mug I was cradeling really was.

“SHIT.” I fumbled slightly, and then managed to set the mug onto the counter with a loud noise. Wordlessly Olivia glided up beside me, poured herself a cup of coffee, and then took her place at the counter. I watched in the reflection of the glass cupboard as Harry stealthily sneaked up behind her, taking her off guard as he kissed her neck. She giggled quietly and pushed him away, flicking her head in my direction. His expression immediately turned placid, and I shifted my gaze to the mug on the counter, which was still steaming.

“Morning, mate.” Harry grinned. I didn’t shift my gaze, I just grunted in reply. There was a sudden awkward silence that cast itself over the room, and I could feel Harry shift uncomfortably beside me.

“There something wrong, Nialler?”

“No.” I replied blandly, silently wishing Harry would just leave. He stood beside me for a moment, and I felt his soft gaze on me briefly, until he turned on his heel and walked over to Olivia. I spied on them using the reflective surface, and watched as Liv mouthed something to Harry, earning a sigh and a shrug. I picked up the mug, not caring how hot it was, then walked up to my room. The moment I was out of eyeshot I could hear Harry and Liv exchanged hushed words. Not really paying attention, I stalked into my room and clicked the door closed behind me. I placed the mug down on my dresser, then peeled my shirt off. I sighed, stepping into the washroom and looking into the mirror. Angrily I clenched and unclenched my fists, staring down my reflection in the mirror. Damn, I just wanted to punch something.

Suddenly I dropped down to the floor and started doing pushups. I counted twenty, thirty, forty. On the forty-second pushup I stood up, jumping around slightly. I had all this energy that was rushing through me as I stomped into the closet, tugging on a pair of running shorts and sneakers. I then stuffed my feet into them, and hastily tied them up. I jogged downstairs, stuffing earbuds into my ears to avoid confrontation from Liv, who just looked at me solemnly.

“I’m going for a run.” I announced, shooting Harry a tight smile and then dashing out the front door.

I whizzed down the street, focusing on the loud music that blasted into my ears. I channeled my angry energy into a hard run, taking it at almost full speed. I stopped to let a car pass by, then noticed my undone shoelace. I swore under my breath, bending over and tying the string.

“I’ve never seen you before, you jog often?” I heard a distinctly American voice ask. I barely heard her voice over the blare of my IPhone, but tugged the buds out of my ears.

“What?” I asked, panting slightly. I really wasn’t in the mood for a neighborly chitchat.

“Do you live nearby?” The girl asked. She had dark, jet-black hair tied away from her face, and wore multicolored running gear. Her seemingly tiny feet were clad in runners to match her ebony hair.

“Oh, yeah. I don’t really jog, though so-“ I motioned to the sidewalk in front of me, stepping forwards slightly.

“Well, I’ll join you.” She smiled.

“I- uh.” I stuttered “Sure. Why not.” I shrugged, starting up again.

“My name’s Tanya.” She beamed, matching my fast pace.

“Niall.” I grunted. I started slowing down slightly, my adrenaline running dry with something distracting me from earlier.

“So, what do you do?”

“If you don’t mind- could we just, run?” I cut her off, my gaze fixed in front of me.

“Sure.” She replied. I glanced to my right to check if she wore a sour expression, or one of distaste from my abrupt request, but she just continued on running.

“What?” She laughed slightly, catching me staring.

“Nothing.”

We ran for an hour straight in complete silence, not breaking our decent pace. It was around noon when she spoke up again.

“This is my place. I gotta go, but maybe we can do this again?” She shot me a smile, then jogged up to her front door. She paused momentarily before she pushed the door open, then twirled back around for me.

“Are you doing anything right now?”

“No, why?”

“Listen, none of my roommates are home right now. And you seem like a nice guy.” She grinned suggestively, slinking up to me. “I know a great workout that’ll make you sweat even more that this.”

My eyes widened as I processed her request.

“So, do you wanna.” She flicked her head towards the open door.

I nodded awkwardly. She opened the door wider, and I, not knowing exactly how to act, practically stumbled up her walkway.

She closed the large door behind her, then spun around eye to eye with me.

“Kiss me.” She whispered, placing a hand on my arm. I swallowed nervously, and then bent down, firmly planting my lips on hers.

I must have been there for hours. It was around two o’clock when I stumbled out her front door with swollen lips and a massive hickey. I walked slowly home, reliving the past few hours. As I trudged up the front steps, I was stopped by an angry-looking Liv, who was bouncing Ethan on her hip.

“Where on earth have you been Ni? You worried me half to death.” She shot.

“I was out.” I breathed, managing to slip past her and into the bright house.

“Where?” She pressed, following me. “Jesus Christ, is that- is that a hickey?” She pointed to the massive hickey forming on my shoulder blade. I shrugged, readjusting the neckline of my shirt.

“Why does it matter where I was? Your not the boss of me.” I muttered childishly. I watched out of the corner of my eye as Liv set Ethan down on the floor, sending him off running in the direction of his toys.

“Ni, you know you can tell me anything, right?” She sighed.

“Yeah, I know.” I groaned monotonously.

“Is there- is there anything that’s been bothering you lately?” She placed her hand on my arm, frowning slightly.

“Um, Sarah and I broke up.” I spilled, deciding to blame everything on the meaningless breakup.

“Oh, Niall.”

“It’s fine. We just weren’t meant to be.” I shrugged, taking a swig out of the orange juice carton.

“Oh, I- I had no idea.”

“It’s fi-“

“Ohmigosh. I’m so sorry.” She gushed “I-I’ve been such a bitch to you lately because I thought it had something to do with Harry and I but- I’m sorry. I know, you wouldn’t get mad at me for something as petty as being with Harry.”

“I-“

“Oh, Niall. What can I do to make it up to you?” She gazed up at me teary-eyed, then tightly wrapped her arms around my torso.

“I g-“

“I owe you, big time. Crap, Niall I feel awful.”

“Uhuh.” I felt a guilty pit form deep in my stomach.

Olivia opened her mouth to speak when suddenly Ethan elicited a loud wail, turning both of our heads.

“Oh, no.”

“I got it.” I placed a hand on her shoulder, then walked over to the small boy. “What’s wrong, baby? Got a poopie diaper?” I lifted him off the floor, pulling the back of his pants outwards.

“Oh, yes. Yes you do.” I cringed at the odor. Liv gave me a nervous thumbs up as I brought him up to his room.

I efficiently cleaned his diaper, then tickled his pudgy sides, eliciting a string of loud giggles.

“Da!” he grabbed upwards towards my hair, his eyes widening when they managed to make contact with the collar of my shirt. I grinned down at him as he tried to pull himself up off the changer. A few second later he stood with a triumphant cheer, then bobbed up and down, his small fists still curled tightly in my shirt. I gave him a quick kiss on the head, then stood sill for a moment and watched his happy dance.

“You two sure do make a great dancing duo.” Liv remarked. Surprised, I turned my head in the direction of her voice, scooping a squirmy Ethan up into my arms.

“Uh, thanks.” I smiled awkwardly.

Suddenly Ethan threw a soccer kick into a pile of diapers, sending them flying out in all directions.

“Whoa there buddy.” I stepped back, then placed him on the floor, careful not to let him slip on a rogue diaper.

“Here, let me help.” Liv glided over, bending down and stacking the diapers in her hands. I joined her, picking up the ones at my feet. Liv stretched far to her right to grab one from under the changer, when her sweater rose up, revealing a small section of exposed skin. My eyes immediately glued themselves to a point on her hip, where a long, silvery scar stretched right across her hip bone. The surprise must have been imminent on my face, for when Liv turned back to me, her face fell.

“What’s wrong?” She fretted. Her eyes flicked back and forth between my own, trying to read my expression. Immediately I smiled, hiding all signs of worry “What are you talking about?”

“Oh, I just thought” She paused “Nevermind.”

I stood, placing the diapers back into their original spot beside the pale blue changer.

“I found this guy running around in the bathroom. I assume he wasn’t supposed to be there?” Harry chuckled, striding in with Ethan in his arms.

“Oh, crud. I hadn’t even noticed he left the room.” Olivia snapped up, rushing towards Ethan, who waved around a square of toilet paper.

I pulled out my phone to check the time, but was met with a black screen.

“Hey, my cell’s dead. I’m just gonna go plug it in.” I announced, promptly spinning on my heel out of the room. I made a beeline for my dresser, where my phone charger usually sits, and plugged the drained IPhone in. I then decided to whip out my rarely-used watch for a change, so I sought after the small grey velvet pouch where I kept my valuables. After digging around my room for a few minutes, I found it in the back of my underwear drawer, stuffed into a sock.

I dumped its contents out onto the messy bed, rooting through the tangle of silver and gold jewelry. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something catch the light, so I pushed everything away from it. My breath hitched when I saw the worn, tarnished silver bracelet, the familiar Olivia written in cursive along a small, flat heart pendant that dropped off one of the links. I ran my thumb over the slightly scratched surface, then let out breath I hadn’t realized I was holding.

I stood up abruptly, slipping the bracelet into my pocket and marching out into the hall. I sought after Olivia, who was conveniently sitting in Ethan’s room alone.

“Liv?” I called into the room.

“Yeah?” She stood up, slowly walking over.

“Hey, I found this. I think it’s yours.” I pulled the bracelet out of my pocket, displaying the well-loved article.

“Ni.” She gasped, very slowly- and timidly reaching her hand out. “Where did you find it?” She looked up at me with teary eyes.

“You left it in my apartment the night you-“ I trailed off, my eyes casting themselves to the wooden floor.

“Oh.”

“Yeah.” I replied, shifting uncomfortably with my hand still outstretched. “Here.” I took her slender wrist, clasping the bracelet around it.

“Thank you.” She breathed, wrapping her long arms tightly around my torso. “Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou."

After a few moments of hugging she stepped back, her mouth twitching.

“My- my mum gave it to me when I was very young. I was so heartbroken when I thought I lost it but, thank you.” She rubbed my arm.

“Well, I better go find that little monkey.” She laughed lightly, wiping her eyes.

”Thanks again Niall. It means a lot.” She glided out of the room silently, and again I was left alone.