Status: Updated Daily

Roadie

Ten

The next day was the hottest day in history, I swore it had to be. My hair was pulled up into a messy bun on top of my head and I wore as little clothing as possible. Carrying boxes in this heat sucked, to say the least. No one would offer any help, other than the random that brought me a bottle of water a half hour ago. I surely wasn't focused on my work today, no, my mind was flooded with Vic and only Vic. The events that played out the night before were haunting me. I barely slept. Every time I would close my eyes, I would feel his lips on mine, feel his hands roam my body, see his eyes looking back at me. To make it worse, we hadn't spoke since. Then again, I didn't make an effort to speak to him either. I decided to let him do that, let him approach me first. Until then, I'd just play it cool. Pretend nothing had happened.

I had just finished hanging the T-Shirts on the back wall when Jaime came over, smiling, and carrying two bottles of water. Oh, how I wanted to hug him and scream 'thank you' over and over again, but I refrained.

"Thought you might be thirsty, you've been working for awhile now. Why don't you come with me, there is something I think your gonna wanna see." He said laughing, offering me his hand, which I accepted.

I followed him in tow back toward the fenced in parking lot where all the buses and trailers were parked. I could already hear the sounds of people screaming and laughing. Mike's voice stuck out among them all, mostly because he sounded drunk and was screaming nonsense. We rounded the bus to see the band surrounding a kiddy pool. Mike and Tony were laid back, relaxing on lawn chairs with a beer in hand, while Vic was submerging himself in the water. I laughed at the sight, causing everyone to look up.

"Well, well, well. Look what Jaime dragged in. Miss Vega, grab a beer and kick Vic's ass until he let's you in." Mike said.

I rolled my eyes and lifted my tank top over my head, revealing a zebra print bikini top. Several cat calls rang out.

"Please, tell me there's more," Mike said dramatically as he fanned himself.

I laughed and shimmied out of my shorts. Vic's eyes had been on me the entire time. He was silent, he just watched. Jaime put his arm around my waist and handed me the water bottle.

"That's not water, by the way." and he walked off to pick a seat.

I popped the cap and chugged it anyway, knowing exactly what it was. My favorite drink, Absolut. Also the drink I had been drinking the night I passed out, smart thinking Jaime. I made my way over to the pool and stepped in, the water was freezing. Vic scooted over automatically, although he was still laid out on his back, letting the water slosh over him. I sat down and took a few more sips of my drink.

"Jaime, wanna be a babe and go get my sunglasses?" I asked, a flirty smirk playing on my lips.

The others looked to him, questioning what he was going to do next. He stood and walked off toward the bus. Damn, I already had him wrapped around my finger.

"So Sutton, about last night..." Vic started.

I splashed him, hoping it would silence him, "This isn't the time or place to talk about it."

Mike and Tony were watching us now, obviously wondering what we were talking about.

"Did you want the black ones?" Jaime yelled, leaning out of the bus door.

Everyone laughed, "Yeah!"

He bounded back and handed them to me. I closed my eyes and just took it all in. The weather was perfect, the water was cold, and my Absolut tasted amazing. Of course, I was interrupted my Mike yelling.

"Tony! What the fuck are you doing?" I opened my eyes and turned to see Tony on top of the bus. Apparently, he knew about the ladder as well.

"Why are you on top of the bus?" Vic asked

At that point, everyone was standing, shielding their eyes from the sun and yelling.

"Why are you not on top of the bus?" Tony yelled back, throwing his hands up in the air and screaming.

Everyone had just kind of looked to one another, hoping someone would come up with an idea to get him down. Getting up there is the easy part, getting down, not so much.

"Well, hate to cut this sort, but I have work to do. Good luck!" I said, grabbing my bottle and clothes and running off to leave them to figure it out.

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

These shoes were not meant for running. I was starting to think that someone should have sneakers stashed underneath the table for me to change into. We hadn't perfected the transition just yet. Hold On Till May was the closer for every show, which meant I had to work merch a the beginning of the show and then sit with it until my relief came in to switch off with me. By the time they got there, I had to sprint backstage, get dressed, do my hair and fix my makeup. Then, I had to find my way through the chaos to reach backstage, find my microphone, and warm up before the song was announced. Sure, maybe it sounds easy, but once you do it a few times, it becomes tiring.

“Miss Vega, they need you on hold.” One of the managers said, “Wait right there on the ramp, don't pass that black line until your cue. Make sure to test your microphone, is it on?” I nodded in response, running up to the black line and taking a few deep breaths in preparation. Sometimes, I questioned why I agreed to this. Agreed to working two jobs, agreed to running the distance to get here, but once I'm in holding waiting to go on, all the stress goes away. Just vanishes.

“Darling you'll be okay.” I heard Vic's voice ring out from the stage

“Miss Vega, please step forward,” The man instructed, “Your cue. Go”

I made my way onto the stage. The crowd erupted in screams. Center stage, belting out the first line. As I continued, I made my way front and center. I placed a hand on Vic's shoulder as we finished the song. Every night was just like this and I loved it more than anything.

“Thanks for coming, everyone!” I waved to the crowd, blowing a few kisses

“Good night everyone!” Vic said, waving to the crowd before walking off.

Jaime draped an arm over my shoulder as we walked off stage.

“You did amazing.” He said, before going off to find his bass stand.

Just like always, I put my microphone on the rack and yelled 'see ya' to everyone before running off down the hall and through the back door. Back at the merch tent, the fans were already lining up, money in hand.

“You were so awesome tonight!” someone said to me as they handed me their money

“Is it true that your dating Vic? Your so lucky!” I dropped the bracelet I was holding

I looked at them with a confused expression. Where had that accusation come from? I wasn't dating Vic, that was obvious, or so I thought. I shook my head and handed the bracelet over to the customer.

“I'm sorry, but no, I'm not dating Vic. He's just my boss and a good friend. I'm not sure where you heard that, but your source is wrong.” I tried to stay calm. Honestly, I had wanted to scream at them. Tell them about what happened on the roof and how it probably meant nothing. How I dreamed about his kiss ever since, how I longed for it to happen again, but I kept quiet and kept to my job. This would be an interesting story for the others later.

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

“So guess what I heard today,” I said, plopping down on the couch next to Tony.

“Hmm?” He asked, picking up the Play Station controller.

We had a long ride ahead of us, although we would probably sleep through most of it.

“A fan asked me if Vic and I were dating.”

Vic had walked in just then, carrying a plate of food, which he proceeded to drop on the floor. Everyone laughed at his actions, but he obviously didn't find it amusing.

“Why would they say that?” Vic asked, collecting the food back onto his plate.

I shrugged my shoulders, “I don't know.”

“Maybe they hear him in his bunk at night jackin' off. 'oh Sutton! Oh!'” Mike joked

Vic was still not amused, but everyone else was. I was blushing, trying to hide my face from the others view.

“She's blushing!” Tony yelled

"On another note, were playing a home show tomorrow. San Diego, baby! We've got a day off after that. Sutton, where are you planning on staying?" Mike asked, turning the TV onto Game Mode.

I hadn't really given much thought into it yet. I knew they would all be spending time with their families and friends, but what did I have? I wasn't from there. I knew no one.

"I don't know."

I rolled my eyes and stood up, pushing past Vic and making my way into the back lounge. I was already confused about Vic and I as it was and the joking and questions were just putting me on edge. Vic and I had an interesting relationship from the start. He always wanted to spend time with me, always helping out, getting me drunk. I offered advice and solace to him as much as possible, the conversation on the street with no name. The night at the hospital, how broken he had become over me. How I held him and cried for him. The kiss on top of the bus. This was not a typical boss and employee relationship. I didn't know what to think of it. I threw my head back onto the pillows and covered my eyes with my hands. I just wanted to sleep, wanted to forget everything that had happened today. I covered myself with my blanket and rolled onto my stomach, hoping sleep would find me. I heard the door open and automatically assumed it was Vic. I honestly did not want to talk to him at that moment. I had just wanted to be alone with my thoughts. The person sat down on the edge of the bed.

“Sutton, I know your awake.” It was Jaime, I was thankful for that.

I rolled over to face him, ”What do you want?” I whined

“To make sure your okay. I know something happened between you and Vic, it's obvious. You don't have to tell me what's going on, I won't even ask. I do know that this new accusation has you both on edge though. It upsets me to see you this way.” He tucked fallen hair behind my ear.

I sighed, “I'm just confused and tired and I don't know what to do.”

He smiled weakly and pulled the blanket up, scooting himself in next to me. I wasn't sure why he was doing this, but I didn't care. I was glad that someone cared. By the sound of it, the others were playing video games, probably FIFA and Vic was more than likely eating his snack, even though it had fallen to the floor. Jaime motioned for me to move closer and I gladly obliged. I scooted in and laid my head on his chest, draping an arm over his waist. We laid in silence as he played with my hair. I hadn't been this relaxed in awhile. Another perfect moment yet again.

“Why do you care so much?” I asked, “I'm just a roadie. Nothing special.”

“And that's where your wrong. Sure, you are a merchie, but your my friend too. At least, I hope your my friend,” He laughed, “Plus, your now performing with me too. Sort of. I'm always going to be here for you, remember that.”

I nodded and closed my eyes, snuggling closer to his side. He kissed my head as I drifted off. That night, I fell asleep in Jaime Preciado's arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!

Please comment and subscribe if you like it so far.