Maybe Someday

Birthday Plans

We’ve been home from Whitby for four days when I get a text from Rebecca. As August is coming to a close James’ birthday is coming up. September third. She wants to know what our plans are. Not only did I have no idea his birthday was so close, but I have no idea what to do for him.

“You should just take him out to dinner or something,” Kelsey said while flipping through Cosmo on my bed. “As long as you have something sexy on and give him birthday sex, he really won’t care”

“Ughh this sucks! What do I even get a guy that practically has everything he’s ever wanted?” Kelsey just shrugs her shoulders and goes back to reading an article. “You are literally no help!”

“I’m sorry,” she giggles. “But there’s this really interesting article in here about Tantric sex.”

“What?”

“Tantric sex. Here listen: ‘Tantric sexual practices teach us to prolong the act of making love and to utilize potent orgasmic energies more effectively. We sometimes view sex as a source of recreation rather than a means of transformation. The goal may be to reach orgasm rather than to pleasure our lover or to connect with him or her more fully.’”

“So you’re just putting off an orgasm?”

“Yeah, basically, but it’s more about connecting with the person you’re with.”

“Let me see that.” She hands me over the magazine and I read over the article. I skim the mostly boring science stuff and head to the tip section.

Tantric Sex for Beginners: 4 easy tips!

Design an “intimacy space”
This should be a comfortable area that is playful and relaxed. First, clear the room of any attention-grabbing clutter. Next, decorate with flowers, candles and cozy fabrics. Make sure your bed is as comfortable as possible with soft sheets and a number of pillows. Lastly, chose a soundtrack of music that you both like. Play it softly in the background to enhance your mood.

Breath Each Other’s Breath
Harmonizing your breath is one of the easiest ways to sync with your partner. Straddle your partner’s lap and inhale while they exhale and vice versa. As you exhale, consciously attempt to energize the breath. In this way, you’re sharing all of yourself with your partner.

Keep Your Eyes Open
The idea of making love with your eyes open is one of the fundamentals of deep connection in intimacy. It is surprisingly harder to do than you might expect. Move toward this idea as an intention rather than a rule and be amazed as the collection of glimpses that will reshape how you think about your partner and yourself. It is not easy to be seen, even by the people we love. Truly witnessing the act of love is profoundly transformative.

Take it Slow
Foreplay is essential in Tantra. A leisurely, slow build helps men control longevity and piques women’s arousal. The longer you linger in this process of building energy, the longer your session will last and the more energy you will build. Use this time to fully focus on each other. As in meditation, when your thoughts wander, gently guide your attention back to your partner and the magic of the moment at hand.

“Oh my god,” I laugh out loud. “This is such crap!”

“It is not!” Kelsey explains and rips the magazine out of my hand.

“How can this be enjoyable? Especially for guys! I mean, yeah, I enjoy making love sometimes but this is like-hardly moving, kind of sex-it even says you’re supposed to have normal conversations!”

“You are such a cynic! It’s about connecting with the person you’re with. The slower you go, the more it builds and the more vulnerable you both are to each other.”

“I just can’t imagine being able to stay aroused in a situation like that.”

“You should totally do this for James’ birthday!”

“What? Kelsey, have you heard a word I’ve been saying?”

“Yes, but I really think this works. I mean have you ever read something about sex in Cosmo that was completely untrue?” I open my mouth to respond but then close it.

“No, I guess not,” I sigh defeated. “But I really don’t think I could pull this off!”

“Just try it! He has no idea it’s going to happen, so if it doesn’t work out then just change it up.”

“Yeah, I guess.” I shake my head not wanting to stress over it. “So what kind of present should I get him?”

“Why don’t you make him something? Didn’t he love that painting you did of him awhile back?” I look at Kelsey. That’s actually a really good idea. His house could use some more art in it. “What? I do have some good ideas you know!” I laugh at her and she smacks me with the magazine.

Kelsey and I walked out of my apartment and and towards our shops. She owns a bakery that’s across the street from my studio. She hands me a cupcake on the way out of her shop and I head across the street to get to work.

I have two ideas for possible paintings for James. One is the waterfall he took me to and the other is a sunset with from his back porch. I have photos of each and I wanted to re-create them. As I start rough sketches of my ideas I decide to add some personal touches. In the waterfall I’ll James and I standing together in the middle of the water and in the sunset I’ll make the two of us sitting on the dock kissing.

A large smile breaks across my face as I feel excitement for the work. I can’t wait to get this done and show him! If I work all day today I can have one finished by tomorrow and can start on the second. It’s Thursday and James’ birthday is on Monday, perfect timing!

I think about what I should actually plan for the night. Going out to a nice restaurant would be fun, but there’s no way I can afford it and I don’t want James to have to pay for his own birthday dinner. Maybe I could set up a nice romantic dinner at his house and make all his favorites. I can call Deb for some recipes tomorrow. I wonder how I’ll be able to pull it off if we’re together all day. Maybe he can go golfing with one of his buddies.

I definitely don’t want him around if I decide to decorate the room like Cosmo said. I’m still not sure I can pull the whole thing off but it would be pretty great if I could. Best birthday sex he’ll get. I smile to myself and start making a mental check list of things I’ll need to get to prepare. As the plans become more detailed I get more excited, I cannot wait for Monday!

At five o’clock my growling stomach pulls me away from my work. I opted out of lunch with Kelsey to get more work time. I pull out my phone and see I have two missed calls from James. I re-dial him as I start packing up my work.

“Hey babe,” He picks up after the first ring.

“Hey! Sorry I’ve been so MIA today, but I’m working on a big project. You wanna grab dinner? I’m packing up now.’

“No problem. Yeah, dinner sounds good. I was actually heading over to your place so can I pick you up at work? I should be there in ten.”

“Yeah, sounds good, see you soon.” We click off and I hurriedly pack up my things and hide my work in the back just in case. As I walk back I see James has pulled up out front. I turn off the lights and lock the door behind me. He meets me out front and dips down to give me a kiss.

“How was your day?” I ask him as he pulls out and heads to a pub.

“It was good, just did some training and skated with a few guys who have come back.”

“That’s good that they’re coming back right?” Unfortunately he shakes his head.

“It’s just the one’s who live here. Like Dupuis, he has his family here.” I nod in understanding and squeeze his hand.

“I am so excited for your birthday!” I say excitedly wanting to change the subject.

“Yeah? Why’s that?”

“Because I have the best night planned and you are going to love your presents!”

“Babe, you don’t have to get me anything.”

“I wanted to!” I insisted. “Keep your night open for me okay? You can do whatever you want during the day.”
“Alright, babe. Now I’m excited too!” I smile at him and pull him in for a kiss once we’re parked. He opens my door and takes my hand leading me towards the pub.

“Ahh I’ve been dying for a burger!” James chuckles at me. We walk inside and walk up to the hostess who instantly flushes when she sees James. She stutters and falters a bit before leading us to a table in the back. I smile at her as she leaves, poor girl.

“You have so many admirers” I tell him before opening my menu. He just shakes his head, too modest.

“Hi, I’m Jessica, I’ll be your server tonight. What can I get you guys to drink?” I look up to see a busty blonde leaning a little too far down towards James.

“I’ll have a Budweiser, please” James say after a beat he realizes her attention isn’t going to switch over. “Babe?”

“I’ll have just have an ice water please.” As she walks away I raise an eyebrow at James who gives me a sheepish look and rubs the back of his neck.

“Sorry, it doesn’t happen as much as you probably think.” I reach across the table and take his hand.

“It’s fine. I don’t mind.” He opens his mouth to reply but Jessica is back placing our drinks in front of us, spilling some water on our entwined hands so I have to pull back.

“Opps sorry!” She brushes her mistake off and prances away. I smile at James and pick up my room temperature water to take a sip.

“Didn’t you want ice?” I nod my head but shrug it off.

“It’s no big deal. I think she’s just flustered with you here.” I know that’s not true, but don’t want to make a big deal out of it. James flags down another waiter and he fixes the mistake. After ordering our food, more flirtatious stares, and a swipe of her hand on his arm James flinches.

“Do you want to go somewhere else?”

“No. James, honestly I’m fine.” I wasn’t. “She can look all she wants.” I don’t want her to.

“You’re uncomfortable.” I giggle at his statement.

“Well yeah, it’s kind of annoying to sit back and watch some girl flirt with my man.” I smile flirtatiously at him and give him a wink. “It’s okay though, kind of comes with the territory.”

“What territory?”

“Of having a super sexy, hockey-playing, ginger bearded boyfriend.” He laughs out loud and then leans across the table. I meet him halfway and his lips peck mine a few times.

After we eat Jessica brings the check over to James. “Thanks for coming in. Come back, again.”

He just nods at her and signs the check, leaving his copy. “Don’t you want it?” She asks as her smile falling only slightly. James shakes his head and takes my hand pulling me out of the booth.

“I don’t need it,” He states confidently before walking me out of the pub.

“What was that about?” Already knowing the answer. No doubt in my mind that she had left her number on his copy of the check. The way he dismissed it so easily made my heart swell.

“Nothing, babe. Wanna come over and watch a movie?” I nod my head and smile kissing his lips softly.

....................................

“Oh my god, that is by far my favorite movie!” I state as Slapshot comes to an end.

“I’m listening to the fucking song!” James imitates which has me doubled over in laughter. I wipe tears from my eyes and stand stretching.

“What time is it?” I wonder out loud.

“Almost eleven.” I nod my head and let out a yawn. I take his hand and pull at him.

“C’mon babe, let’s go to bed.” He grins widely and jumps up tossing my over his shoulder and bounding up the stairs. “James!” I laugh as he jostles me up to his room and then lets me slide down his body. I pinch his side playfully before walking into his closet to get a t-shirt. I take off all my clothes and slip it on before walking to his bathroom.

He’s brushing his teeth when I come in. I stand next to him as he finishes up. He rinses off the brush before squeezing out more toothpaste and handing the brush to me. I smile at him sexily before sliding the brush in my mouth. James strips to his boxers and plops himself under the covers. I turn off the bathroom light and walk over. He holds up the sheets as an invitation and I slide under them cuddling up to his side.

I tilt my head up and meet his lips in a slow kiss. We make-out lazily until a yawn interrupts us. He rolls me onto my back and lays half on-top of me his head right above my chest. I close my eyes and slowly run my hand through his hair. I smile at how content I am as I sink into his warmth.

“I like that,” He mumbles into my skin. “Don’t stop.” I weave my hand back into his locks sliding it soothingly throughout. His breathing evens out and the slow motions lull me to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Little filler to set-up James' birthday. I will be leaving for a sailing trip on Wednesday and I'm not sure if I'll have access to a laptop or wifi. I'll try my best to update while I'm away. Hopefully I'll have the next chapter up before I leave.

What do you think of the plans?

Thank you for the comments on the last chapter! I think i'll wait to post the Sidney Crosby story until I have this one on a more steady pace. I'm afraid I'll get hooked and completely forget about this.

There's a long way away until the ending for me. But does anyone think this shouldn't be a longer story?