Sequel: Carnage

Devil

Lust Can Blind Your Eyes

Nebraska showed up at the club a few days later, promptly at 12:15. The streetlight shone down on her, illuminating her for just a moment before she walked through the door. She didn't notice.

She immediately headed for her seat, shocked to see it filled by someone. As Nebraska approached, she was relieved to see that it wasn't one of the Kid's girls, just some idiot twenty-something, who she tossed aside, sliding into her seat.

"Beautiful," Finn remarked from the other end of the bar, blowing a kiss at her. She winked in return, hoping he was talking about the action, and not the red and black corset she was wearing. It was new, and she was wearing it in, not showing off.

The Warehouse throbbed with the conflux of people, keeping Nebraska entertained until 2. Then, she was delighted to see Danny's familiar brown hair come through the crowd, though she tried to hide it.

Though she could reconcile this odd affection and obvious lust that she had for him, she felt it important that he didn't know, especially since he had a girlfriend. In order to spend more time around him, which she now realised she wanted, she had to keep stringing him along. If he got what he wanted, he'd disappear, like all of the other men and women who breezed by here. That was the last thing she wanted.

He'd barely sat down in the stool before his lips were on hers, and his fingers were in her hair. Eventually she pushed away from him, both of them breathing heavily. He looked at her lips, as if he was going to kiss her again, but she stopped him, holding her hand on his chest.

"You've got to pay if you want some more," she murmured, licking her lips. In response, he reached into his back pocket and threw down a wad of bills.

"£8,000. What does that get me?"

Nebraska counted the money, incredulous, then threw it all back. She hadn't meant that he literally pay for sex.

"You should leave."

"Nebraska-" he began, but she cut him off with a small movement of his hand.

"Jesus fuck, Danny, what did you think you were going to get with that?"

"You."

Her nostrils flared with how irate she was at him, but she tried to keep her voice down to not cause attention. If Finn should turn around to see their exchange, it could get bad. She took a deep breath to calm her voice.

"I really don't think you know what we do here."

"All I want is time alone with you."

"And £8,000 is the way to go about that?"

"I-" she cut him off again, putting a hand on his thigh.

"Danny, you need to leave."

Frustrated, Danny stood up.

"I have to see you again." Nebraska glared up at him.

"No. No more. This is over." If he'd kissed her just then, despite how angry she was, she'd have taken those words back.

"Nebraska-"

"I did have a life here before you came along. I'd like to return to it."

Danny scoffed, then turned around and left. Nebraska downed all of the drink in front of her, whatever it was, then pulled out her phone, angrily looking at the news. She was so focused, she missed Finn making a motion to Frances, who was standing just inside the door of the club.
--

After ten minutes, she was still irate, and went outside to smoke a cigarette. The door was suspiciously empty, save for one passed out woman set in front of it. Nebraska simply stepped over her, heading to the alley for some peace from the noise of the club.

She noticed Francis immediately, just as she was about to light her cigarette. He hadn’t seen her yet, and she stood at the corner of the Warehouse to light her cigarette, as he brought the crowbar down. She took in a drag, watching him beat the poor sap, feeling no better for watching it. She honestly wanted to leave, but took another drag instead.

The mass in front of him let out a low groan. She couldn’t tell who it was by the black coat, but as he rolled around, Nebraska just caught sight of the brown of Danny’s hair.
She walked forward, as calmly as possible, still smoking.

"Francis," she stated as she approached them. He gave her a nod before raising the crowbar up and hit Danny again. Francis didn't work that much around the Warehouse, and it was possible that he didn't know that Danny had gotten into this mess because of her. She took that bet.

"The Kid wants to see you."

"I'm busy," Francis replied through gritted teeth as he kicked Danny in the stomach.

"Your funeral. Should have been watching the door." She tried to be as cavalier as possible, despite the fact that her hands were shaking. If he'd looked closely, he'd have seen it.

"Shit." He stopped, but didn't put the crowbar down. "What about Abby?"

"Dunno who that is. Unless she's the unconscious woman in front of the door."

"Shit," he repeated. "How bad is it?"

Nebraska shrugged. "He just said he wants to see you."

Francis dropped the crowbar, looking down at Danny.

"Finish this one off, will you? Direct from Finn."

"With pleasure." She took one last drag from her cigarette, then threw it down. Satisfied, Francis walked out of the alley and towards the door.

Nebraska immediately bent down to get Danny.

"Can you hear me? Danny? We have to go, right now." He let out a low groan, and Nebraska practically dragged him out of the alley and away from the Warehouse.

Using all of her hand waving ability, she hailed a cab, then shoved Danny in it, climbing in behind him. She gave the driver the address she'd gotten out of his wallet, and they sped away from the club.