Sequel: Carnage

Devil

You Know I Couldn't End It Anyway

Nebraska had been back in London two weeks before she saw him. Despite now having control over half of London (she gave Finn the other half and his pick of the Kid's people), she remained perched at the last seat of the bar. It was barely 8 o'clock, and she was smoking a cigarette while counting money when he walked in.

She didn't hear him at first, tapping a steady beat with her heels on the familiar steel backing, while mouthing a song from her headphones. She idly took a drag, making a mark in the little book in front of her, which had previously been filled with the Kid's handwriting. The wedding had only been a week or so ago, but she still felt the anger and sadness about it that she had before.

"Can I buy you a drink?" he asked, his voice sounding oddly loud in the empty building.

She jumped, nearly dropping her cigarette as she slid down to the floor.

"Jesus," she breathed, putting her hand over her eyes. She'd thought that she would be alone for at least another two hours, and was nowhere near ready to interact with someone.

Nebraska took one last drag of her cigarette to settle her nerves, then put it out in the sink behind the bar as Danny plopped onto a stool, one away from where he usually sat. She could see the anger in his eyes, but didn't want to engage it.

"You look nice," he growled. She was happy that he couldn't see her blush in the darkness of the Warehouse. She was wearing a new corset, long purple and black one, with buckles and short sleeves. She felt a little bit like the heroine of an action movie in it, and was self-conscious.

She moved out of the bar and over to him, sitting down in the stool he usually sat in. He faced the back of the bar, and for a moment their roles were reversed. She leaned forward, putting one hand on his thigh, but pulled away after feeling him tense up.

He looked nearly the same as when they first met, only more tired. He was even wearing the same shirt. Sighing, she moved back behind the bar, pouring herself a drink. Nebraska hadn't been much of a drinker before, but after LA she'd begun drinking a little bit more.

"Didn't know you smoked," he finally said, tapping out a beat on the bar top.

"Want one?"

"I quit."

"Lucky you."

"Wasn't hard."

"It is for some of us."

Nebraska took a sip of the raspberry vodka, then set the glass near the money and the book.

"Do you want something?"

He just shook his head.

She slid back into her stool, tempted to light another cigarette, but she refrained.

The air in the building was tense, and she wished for some sort of interruption, anything just to make it less awkward. As if on cue, Danny's cell phone rang. He turned away from her for the allusion of privacy, but she caught the end as he turned back to facing the bar. "I love you too," he'd said. Nebraska couldn't think of the last time anyone had told her that, and looked down at the book to hide the burgeoning tears. She'd been a lot more emotional since returning. It was awful.

"Got somewhere to be?" she asked, scribbling in the book. She wasn't even entirely sure what she was writing.

"I was supposed to meet Georgia at 8."

She stopped scribbling to look over at him. He was staring down at the bar counter intently, as if there was some sort of code in it. Then he let out a chuckle and put his head in his hands.

"I saw you walk in here about an hour ago. Took me ages to come in behind you. Wasn't even sure it was you for a minute. Everyone said you'd died or something."

Nebraska had to let out a laugh.

"They do that every time someone disappears. Last time they said I'd been arrested when no one had heard from me in a week."

She expected the comment to lighten the mood, but Danny slammed his hand down, nearly smashing his phone.

"Where were you?"

She was about to answer when his phone rang again. He threw it across the floor.

Nebraska quickly checked the clock on her phone, hoping someone would show up soon. She could handle Danny if he became violent towards her, but she wouldn't hurt him. That much she refused to do.

"Shit," he murmured, running his fingers through his hair. She moved from her stool to the one between them, grabbing his hand. It was red, but nothing looked hurt, which was lucky.

"I'll get you ice," she muttered, sliding off of the stool. He grabbed her arm with his free hand, stopping her.

"Could have called," he stated, his eyes boring into hers.

"You didn't," she replied, ripping her arm away from his grasp.

Nebraska stared at him for a moment, then he grabbed her by the waist and kissed her, hard. She responded, tangling her fingers in his hair while he pushed her against the bar. The two only separated when a stool clattered to the ground, startling them out of each other for a second before they went back to kissing.

"Couch," she panted as he kissed her neck, and he picked her up and moved her to one of the many plush, red couches lining the walls.

The loud sound of a slamming door followed by the clicking of heels finally drove them apart, both of them straightening up clothes and moving back to the bar as Charlotte walked in.

"He's cute," she said to Nebraska, running her fingers over Danny's shoulders.

Finn had left Charlotte to Nebraska as punishment for leaving. Nebraska was tempted to ship her to his side of London just to get rid of her. She stood in front of them in a cream, belted blouse that was acting as a dress, and tights. Charlotte fidgeted with the green choker she was wearing, which was strikingly similar to the color of Nebraska's streak.

"Don't let me disturb you," Charlotte teased. Nebraska rolled her eyes.

"What exactly did you want?" Danny stood between the two awkwardly, wanting to leave but not sure how to say it. He was already nearly forty minutes late for his date with Georgia, and it would take another thirty to get there. Nebraska gave Danny a gentle shove, wordlessly telling him to leave, but he stayed.

"Sam wants to know if I can work with him tonight."

"I suppose your telephone is broken." Charlotte smirked.

"No, but yours might be," she said, looking at Danny.

"Out," Nebraska replied, and Charlotte happily turned on her high heels and clicked out.

"Go on then," Nebraska told him, wondering why he was still there.

"If I walk out that door, are you gonna disappear again?"

Nebraska sighed heavily. "I'll be here tomorrow."

He kissed her, then finally left. It wasn't even 9:30, and Nebraska was already exhausted.