Sequel: Carnage

Devil

I Can't Help Myself

Three hours later, Nebraska was surprised to find the brown-haired man back at the stool next to her.

“How much?” she asked again. She was hoping he was there for something else. Most people didn’t consume that much in one night. For all she knew, it could kill him. Not that she cared, of course, but it would be bad for business. They had already been hit by the arrival of two Americans, smug and aggressive strip club owners that had beaten their way to the top. Until she sorted it, of course.

“Can I buy you a drink?” he said instead.

“I already have one,” she pointed to her untouched raspberry vodka. She didn’t usually drink when she worked. Or at all, really.

“Let me buy you another one.”

She smirked, amazed at his bravado. Most of the guys that came to hit on her left after her initial denial. She motioned to Max, and he served them both, with a wink directed at her.
She let the drink sit in front of her as he took a sip of his beer.

“So what’s your name?” Boy, he got straight to the point.

“Not interested.”

“That’s an odd name for your parents to give you,” he chuckled.

She turned and looked at him, vaguely bemused. The crowd had died down, most reaching their limit a half-hour ago. The light in The Kid’s office was out, meaning even he had left at some point. She fidgeted with the clasp on her necklace, hiding it as playing with her hair. Not many men were this forward with her. She liked that a lot.

“They call me Nebraska,” she replied. He held out his hand.

“Danny.” She placed her hand in his, as if to shake, and was surprised when he brought it to his mouth and kissed it lightly.

“Pleasure,” she murmured, looking at his blue eyes. The lights in the Warehouse had gone crazy for the last song, but she could just see the color anyway.

For a moment, his eyes moved down to her lips. Boys are all the same.

"Your lips are extraordinarily pink."

"Cherry. Didn't you know?"

He smiled, looking back at her eyes.

A loud beeping interrupted their gaze, and she glanced away, watching the red-haired bartender at the other end of the bar, cleaning. She sighed lightly, and then stepped off of the stool. Too good to be true, of course. He probably wouldn't be back, and she chided herself for getting her hopes up. Practically everyone who worked here had a main squeeze, except her. She was just too high maintenance. She grabbed her jacket from behind the bar and slipped it on.

“Lovely to meet you, Danny,” she purred, and then she walked away. She could practically feel his eyes boring into her back as she sauntered away, putting on a show just for him.

It was only when she was already back at her apartment did she realize that she had forgotten to get her cut of the money before leaving.