Sequel: Carnage

Devil

Don't You Understand

Nebraska avoided the Warehouse for two weeks, choosing instead to haunt the other properties the Kid owned, under the pretense of overseeing them. As the Kid’s favourite, it wasn’t impossible, but it certainly wasn’t true.

It didn't raise suspicion either way, as she spent little time at the Warehouse. He had a number of girls that sold, and she was busy overseeing her own interests most of the time.

She finally returned to the club just after Halloween, wearing a blue and white corset and a matching navy skirt. The boots and necklace were the same. The Kid didn’t say anything about her disappearance, or even acknowledge her presence, but her favourite bartender, Finn, commented on it as soon as she sat down.

“You must be new,” he smirked, holding out his hand. “I’m Finn.”

She rolled her eyes.

“I’ll bet it took you a half-hour to think of that,” she replied. He chuckled heartily, and set a glass in front of her.

“Peach,” he announced. “Thought you could do for a change of pace.” He winked at her, and moved down the bar to where a group of girls were giggling at him. Finn was only a little bit younger than the Kid, and had quite a fan base. He was very attractive, but wasn’t Nebraska’s type. She generally preferred women, but after a few failed relationships, she was considering her options. Finn still wasn't one.

The night was slower than the last one she had experienced, but she had earned about the same. It was nice to get back to the fullness and the noise of the Warehouse, and she found herself enjoying her time there. She even drank half of the peach vodka Finn had given her.

She felt someone sit down at the stool next to her before she saw him.

“How much?” she asked, without ever breaking her gaze from the shiny black glass backing of the pristine bar.

“Can I buy you a drink first?”

She smirked, but still didn’t turn around.

“I already have a drink.”

“That didn’t stop you last time.”

She whirled around, the amusement plain on her face.

“I find that I’m not very thirsty tonight.”

“Maybe a little dancing would help that,” he replied. He had an adorable smile, a goofy, wide grin that took up his whole face. It made him look dumb, but he was far from it. It was infectious. She looked down to cover the grin that had spread to her face as well.

“I’m not allowed to dance.” It was a lie. So long as someone was here to cover the stool, she could go wherever she pleased.

“What’s the worst that could happen?”

“You don’t want to know.” She circled the top of her glass with her fingertip, enunciating each word.

“I think that for you, it’s worth it.”

“How much, Danny?”

"Glad to see that you remembered. I looked for you, you know."

"That's a mistake."

"Yes, it was. No one knew where you were."

"I'm sure you were kept entertained, though."

"I didn't want to be entertained." Nebraska let that comment slide. He obviously did, otherwise he would not have come to talk to her.

"You never answered my question. How much?"

He put three notes on the bar in front of her. She counted surreptitiously. £300.

“It’s only 2 for the regular,” she smirked.

“Consider it a tip.” He winked at her, and took the drink that Finn set in front of him, downing it in a single swallow. In a moment, he was lost in the pulsating crowd.