Just the Way You Are

ONE

Six Months Ago.....

Max Talbot entered the locker room with an extra spring in his step and everyone noticed as he talked animatedly in french on his phone. He finished his call and set his phone atop his locker stall. He turned to his teammates who watched him curiously.

“You have a wife at home that I know you love deeply so who in the fuck was that?” Danny demanded. His eyes narrowed as he approached Max, standing in front of him with his hands on his hips.

“Calm down, Briere. You don’t have to kick my ass to defend Zoe’s honor.”

“You sure about that? I understood that entire conversation.”

Max flushed. “It’s not like that Danny. It was Nicolette. She’s like a kid sister. She just moved back to Pittsburgh and is visiting some old college friends in Philly this weekend. I invited her out with us after the game. Zoe knows her; they've met before.”

“Zoe is in Charlotte, she’s not going out with us tonight.”

“Yes, I’m aware of this. Because of our road trip and now her trip, I haven’t seen her in three weeks.”

“Exactly!”

“Exactly? What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

On the other side of him, Scott, Wayne, and Claude laughed as Danny continued to stare Max down and Max looked on in bewilderment. “It means you have a reputation and haven't been laid in three weeks,” Scott said. “Anyone with half a brain would be connecting the dots to its logical conclusion.”

“Is she hot?” Claude asked. Max frowned and grabbed his phone. He flipped through his pictures and when he landed on one he wanted, tossed his phone to Claude. He whistled. “Nice legs,” he commented before turning the phone towards Wayne, then Scott. Danny snatched the phone from him and looked for himself.

“What are you playing at, Talbot?”

“Danny, I swear to fucking God, its not even like that. Jesus! You think if I were going to cheat on Zoe that I would in any way, shape, or form make it so obvious?”

“There’s no telling with you.”

“Come on!” he turned to Claude, Scott, and Wayne. “One of you has to be on my side here, right?”

They looked at each other and finally Claude let out a loud sigh. “I don’t think you’d cheat on Zoe, ever. No matter how long you had to go without sex, no matter how tempting the offer. You wouldn't do that to her.”

“Thank you. Look, Nicolette is a friend. I’ve known her since Pittsburgh. She was living in Edmonton and had a tough breakup there. She’s a good girl; I just want to make sure she has a good time tonight. She deserves that.”

~*~*~


Nicolette glanced at herself in the mirror on the visor, putting a touch of lip gloss on before stepping out of her car. She really did not want to be here but Max insisted and she couldn’t say no to him. When he had been a Penguin, he had been one of his favorite guys on the team, and he had always looked out for her. She approached the club where Max waited outside for her.

“Nic!” he shouted.

“Hey, Max,” she said as he pulled her into a hug.

“Its good to see you. How are you?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Been better.”

“I could kick his ass,” he offered.

She laughed. “Kris offered the same. I’m certain he could do a better job than you.”

“I can ask Simmer to take care of it. He’s pretty good at kicking ass.” She stared at him with a questioning look. “You have no idea who my teammates are, do you?”

“Well, everyone knows who Giroux is but the rest of them? Not really. I’m a Penguins fan and the Flyers are our mortal enemies.”

Max shook his head and led her into the club. “You really have to stop listening to your brother. We’re good people.”

She laughed. “You are not good people.”

“I am!” he insisted.

“Well, you’re better since Zoe came along. Speaking of, is she here?”

“No; she’s down in Charlotte this week.” He frowned. “I miss her; its been three weeks.”

“Poor baby.”

“I know, right?” He slung his arm over her shoulder and walked up to a table filled with his teammates. “Guys, this is Nicolette. Nicolette, the guys.”

“Hi!” she waved. “You can call me Nicki.”

Max watched as Nicki laughed with Scott, Claude, and Claude’s wife Lindsey. Wayne came up beside him and passed him a beer. “When does Zoe get back?”

“Tomorrow night, thank God,” Max replied.

“Is Nicki staying with you?”

Max nodded. “Yeah; Zoe insisted and we’ve got the room.”

“What’s her story?”

Max stared down his teammate and his eyes narrowed. “Why are you asking so many questions about her?”

“Just making conversation. She doesn't seem all that comfortable around us.”

“She’s a Penguins fan,” Max offered as an explanation.

“She looks like at us like we’re about to lead her to the slaughter.”

Max shifted. “She just broke up with a guy...”

“Who?”

“Just a guy.”

“Whatever, bro. I’ll just ask her.” With that, Wayne turned and walked over to Nicki. He tapped her on the shoulder and she turned, peering up at him. “Wanna dance?” Wayne asked with a soft smile. She nodded and Wayne held his hand out to her and she slipped her small hand into his.

“If my brother could see me now,” She thought to herself as she followed Wayne. He was very cute, laid back, easy going, and all smiles. He reminded her of a surfer more so than a hockey player.

Wayne placed a hand at Nicki’s hip and they moved easily together. He smiled down at her. “You are so tall,” she mused and Wayne chuckled. “How tall are you? 6’2”?” Wayne nodded. “You’re a foot taller than me!” she exclaimed.

“Nothing wrong with being a shorty. Look at Max and Zoe.”

“Zoe is not a foot shorter than Max though.” Wayne smiled at her.

“You fit nicely though.” She turned so that her back was against him. He couldn’t see the blush that stained her cheeks.

“You’re much nicer than I would’ve guessed.”

“Thank you?”

“It’s just, I’m a Penguins fan and the Flyers all supposed to be the devil.”

Wayne held her, a hand at either side of her waist as her hips swayed against him. “We’re not all bad. You’re friends with Max.”

“He was a Penguin once though.”

“And now he plays for the enemy but you’re still friends.”

“True.”

“How long are you in town?”

“Until Tuesday.”

“Do you want to have dinner tomorrow?” She stopped moving and looked back at Wayne, her eyes wide. “Or lunch? Or coffee? Whatever you want...”

She smiled shyly. “I don’t know....”

“I’m a nice guy. Max will vouch for me, even if I am a Flyer. Please?”

“I'm meeting my friends for lunch tomorrow. Do you want to join us?”

“Yes.” He smiled at her.

“Has anyone ever told you that you have a really nice smile?” Nicki asked.

“Nope. Just you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Watching tonight's game made me remember how much I like angry Simmer....angry Simmer is the best Simmer. :)