Just the Way You Are

TWO

Nicki walked into the restaurant her friends had picked, looking to see if Wayne had arrived yet. They had exchanged numbers before she had left with Max and she knew he was on his way to meet her from practice. She spotted her friends and waved, walking back to the table they had been seated at. She hugged them each and sank into a chair.

"So who is this friend that's joining us?" Her best friend Alyssa asked.

"His name is Wayne," Nicki began before Paulina interrupted.

"You have a boyfriend!" She squealed.

Nicki flushed. "No!" She exclaimed loudly. Her eyes shifted around the room to see if anyone else noticed her outburst and lowered her voice before continuing. "No, it's not like that. He's a friend of Max's and he was very nice to me last night."

"He's a hockey player?" Alyssa asked in surprise.

Nicki nodded. "But he doesn't know who my brother is so I would appreciate it if you didn't mention him."

Alyssa and Paulina exchanged a look. "What about Eberle? Does he know about him?" Paulina asked.

"I just met him last night!" Nicki protested. She saw Wayne enter the door and she couldn't help but smile. "Just keep it in check, ok?" Her friends nodded and Nicki stood. Wayne spotted her and his face broke into a grin.

"He's really cute, Nic," Alyssa whispered as Wayne approached.

"Nice catch," Paulina complimented. "Does he have friends?"

"Hey Nicki," Wayne greeted her. She was still standing so Wayne pulled her into a hug.

"Hey. These are my friends, Alyssa and Paulina."

"It's nice to meet you both. Nicki told me a lot about you last night."

"Did she now?" Alyssa purred. She motioned to the empty seat. "Well we don't know anything about you so tell us your life story."

"Lys!" Nicolette shot her friend a warning glance.

Alyssa waved her off. “Wayne wants to tell us all about himself, don’t you, Wayne?”

He smiled. “What do you want to know?” he asked Alyssa.

The girls fired rapid questions at him and he answered them all gamely, even through their meal. Nicki excused herself to use the restroom and as soon as she was out of ear shot, Wayne turned to her friends.

"Spill it."

"Spill what?" Alyssa asked.

"You're protecting her. Why? What's the secret?"

Alyssa and Paulina shared a look. "She was dating a hockey player in Edmonton and he cheated on her. It's why she moved to Pittsburgh."

"Who?"

"Eberle."

"Jackass. I'm gonna kick his ass next time we play them."

Alyssa grinned. "I approve that and I like you. You've passed my test."

"Glad to hear it. Now I understand why she was so hesitant when I asked her out last night."

"She likes you though," Paulina interjected. "She wouldn't have had you meet us if she didn't. You must have impressed her last night. I just don't think she's ready to date yet. That bullshit with Ebs really knocked her for a loop."

"How long were they together?"

"Around nine months," Alyssa answered. “Jerk was cheating on her for the last three, even after he asked her to move in.”

“She lived with him?”

“No, I didn’t. I wasn’t ready to,” Nicki answered. “And you two were supposed to keep your traps shut,” she said to her friends.

Alyssa shrugged. "I like him," she answered, pointing at Wayne. "Better than Max too and he gets us free tickets. I haven't even asked Wayne here to hook a girl up yet."

Wayne smiled. "If you can convince Nicki to stay in Philly for a couple of extra days, I'll get you the best seats in the arena for the game against the Bruins."

"Mmm, Tyler Seguin." She turned to Nicki. "You're staying until Wednesday and we're going to the Bruins game. Also, you should let Wayne take you to dinner."

Nicki blushed and Wayne smiled. "I think you should let me take you to dinner too."

"I'll stay until Wednesday. I'll think about dinner," Nicki replied.

"She'd love to go to dinner," Paulina corrected. "How about night?"

"Tonight works for me. I'll pick you up at 7?" Wayne asked.

"7 is perfect," Paulina agreed. "I assume you know where your teammate lives."

Wayne nodded. "Yep."

"Good. I'm glad we're all in agreement here."

"Me too!" Alyssa said.

"Me three," Wayne grinned.

~*~*~


Nicolette stood staring into her suitcase at six that evening. She heard the door shut downstairs and moments later, Zoe appeared in the doorway.

"Nicki!" She shouted, charging into the room and hugging her. "I'm glad I got to see you!"

"I hope it's okay to stay a few extra days."

"You're always welcome here."

"Thanks, Zoe."

"You're welcome. Now, why are we staring at your suitcase?"

"I have a date," Nicki mumbled.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I have a date."

"With who?"

"Wayne," she admitted softly. Zoe squealed.

"Simmer is perfect for you! Why have I never thought of this before? I approve, Nic. So would Max."

"So would Max what?" Max asked as he entered the room.

"Nothing for you to worry about," Zoe told him. She pushed him from the room. "Go. We have girl things to accomplish." She closed the door behind him and he protested in the hall.

"I haven't seen you in three weeks! When is it my turn?"

"We have all night and the house to ourselves. Just wait a little bit longer," Zoe told him. "I'll make it worth your while," she promised.

"What do you mean the house to ourselves?" Max asked suspiciously.

"Nic has a date. Now leave us alone." Zoe shook her head and turned back to Nicolette. "Ok, where is he taking you?"

"I don't know," she answered. "Just that it's dinner."

Zoe pulled her phone out and texted Wayne for several minutes. When she was satisfied with his answer, she began to look through Nicki's clothes. "What size shoe do you wear?"

"Seven." Zoe nodded. She handed Nicki a pair of jeans and a simple camisole.

"Put these on. I'll get you a sweater and some heels. Do you have a jacket?"

"Yes," she replied, pointing at a deep purple pea coat laying at the end of the bed.

"Perfect. Be right back." Zoe disappeared into her room and returned five minutes later, handing Nicki a turquoise sweater. "Put this on," Zoe told her. Nicki slipped the soft cashmere sweater on. It fit snugly to her, clinging to her curves. Zoe nodded. "And these," she said, handing her a pair of heels. Nicki gasped as Zoe pressed the shoes into her hands.

"Zoe, I can't."

"Yes you can. They're going to look amazing on you." The open toed platform Mary Jane style Brian Atwood's had a tan tiger print, brining a nice pop into the outfit Zoe had put together. Nicki sat on the edge of the bed and strapped the heels on and stood. "Perfect," Zoe said, nodding her approval. "I'll leave you to finish getting ready. Yell if you need me."

Nicolette grabbed Zoe and hugged her. "Thank you."

Zoe grinned. "You're welcome, Nic. I'm glad you're giving Wayne a chance. He's a really great guy and I know he's going to treat you right."

Wayne walked up to Max and Zoe's front door, wiping his palms across his jeans before knocking at the door. Max swung the door open with a smile.

"You're the date?" Max asked, shaking his head. He moved aside so Wayne could enter. "I can't believe she's giving you a chance," Max chuckled.

"What's wrong with Wayne?" Zoe asked as she entered the room. She gave Wayne a hug and kissed his cheek.

"You mean other than the fact that he plays for the Flyers?"

"What is so bad about the Flyers?" Wayne asked.

"She's a penguins fan," Max answered vaguely. Zoe shot Max a look and Wayne knew there was something else, something they weren't telling him. He'd have to wait for Nicki to trust him with whatever it was.

"You'll change her mind," Zoe said before hugging Wayne again. "If anyone can, it's you."

Max whistled. "Nic, you look fantastic," he said as she entered the room. She ducked her head as Wayne and Zoe turned towards her. Zoe smiled and squeezed Wayne's hand in hers.

"Be good to her," Zoe whispered to him.

"Nothing less," Wayne promised. "You ready to go?" He asked Nicki. She nodded and grabbed her coat. Wayne held the front door opened for her and followed her out. He opened the door to his car and she slid inside. He went around to the other side and climbed in.

"You look great," Wayne said.

"Thank you."

"Zoe's shoes?"

Nicki looked down at the shoes. "Yes. Too much?"

"Nope. I might have to buy you your own pair so you can wear them every year on this date."

"Why?" Nicki questioned.

"I'll always want to remember them when we celebrate our anniversary."

Nicki blushed. "You feel that confident about this date?"

"I feel that confident about this date," Wayne told her. "I think you're very pretty, funny, and smart. I don't even mind that you're a Penguins fan and don't like the Flyers; I can live with that. I want to get to know you and I want you to get to know me." Nicki studied him for a long minute as he drove. She turned the words over and over in her head. She had to tell him, now, not later. She let out a deep breath and turned in her seat towards him.

"My brother is Pascal DuPuis," Nicki said in a rush.

She saw Wayne's eyes go wide as he came to a stop at a red light. "You're brother plays for the Penguins?" She nodded.

"If you want to go back, you can. I understand."

"Why would I want to go back? So what, your brother is DuPuis. I don't care. I'm dating you, not him."

Nicki smiled softly. "Can you not tell anyone, about him, please?"

"Whatever you want."

"Thank you."

"Are you going to tell him?"

"Tell him what?"

Wayne grinned. "That you're falling in love with a Flyer."

Nicki giggled. "You are very confident, Wayne. I like that."

He reached over and grabbed her hand in his. "It's true though. I know it is."

"How do you figure?"

Wayne looked over at her, his eyes meeting with hers. "Because I'm falling in love with you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo....Nicki's secret is out. Thoughts??? Also, I lied....I think this is gonna be around five chapters....