Just the Way You Are

FIVE

The Flyers lost to the Rangers in seven games, a hard fought series that Nicki went to every game of. At the end of the series, Nicki and Wayne spent a week in Philly together before driving to Pittsburgh. Wayne ran his thumb across the ring he had put on Nicki's finger the night after their loss to the Rangers.

"Are you sure you want me here?" Wayne asked. "I can wait, let you talk to him."

"You're my fiancé. He'll have to accept it one way or another," Nicki answered. Wayne squeezed her hand in his as she rang the doorbell. Carol-Lyne answered the door and pulled Nicki into a hug.

"It's do good to see you, Nicki. The kids have missed you."

"I miss them too. Carol-Lyne, this is Wayne. Wayne, this is Carol-Lyne. We're engaged," Nicki said as she held out her ring hand.

"Oh honey; I'm so happy for you, even if he is a Flyer. The heart chooses who it loves, no? Wayne, it is very nice to meet the man who makes Nic smile. I've wondered who you were for the last several months."

"You knew?" Nicki asked. Carol-Lyne ushered them inside to the living room.

"I knew there was someone. When you came back from seeing Alyssa and Paulina that first time, you had a smile on your face I haven't seen in a very long time. I never would've guessed its be a Flyer."

"What is he doing here?" Pascal scowled from the entry way. Carol-Lyne stood and crossed to her husband. She kissed his cheek.

"Give him a chance. He's here and he loves her. She loves him. You might as well deal with it. They're together, for the long haul."

Wayne stood as Pascal came into the the room. "I know you love Nic and so do I. Lets just take off the table what we do for a living and get to know one another." He paused and Nicki smiled up at him encouragingly. Wayne held his hand out to Pascal. "My name is Wayne; your sister has told me so much about you. It is really great to meet you and I mean that, no lie."

Carol-Lyne stood and hugged Wayne. "It's really nice to meet you too, Wayne. I want to know all about you and how you and Nicolette met."

Wayne smiled gratefully at Carole-Lyne. She eyed her husband and then socked him in the arm. He sighed and shook Wayne's hand.

"Truce?" Wayne asked.

Pascal nodded. "Truce."

Nicki stood and hugged her brother. "Thank you," she whispered to him.

"He makes you happy?" Pascal asked her quietly.

"So happy," she answered with a smile.

"Then I'll try, for you, my favorite sister."

"Your only sister."

"My only and favorite sister." He turned to Wayne and Carol-Lyne. "Let's go to the kitchen and have some wine," he suggested.

"That was a tough series against the Rangers," Pascal said to Wayne as they sat around the table several hours later. They had all relaxed and were talking and laughing easily with each other.

"It was," Wayne answered slowly.

"You guys should've won. The refs blew that call on your no goal. You're a better team than the Rangers."

"Thank you."

Pascal nodded. "We're gonna kick your asses next season though."

Wayne grinned. "You hope so at least."

"Wait and see. Everyone's hungry after that loss. First game of the season ought to be something else." He shook his head and chuckled. "My brother in law is going to be Flyer. I am never going to live this down."

"I think my teammates got most of it out of their systems but I expect the first time we play against one another they'll have come up with some new and witty things to chirp on me."

"You're okay with us?" Nicki asked quietly, looking across the table to her brother as she held Wayne's hand tightly.

Pascal smiled softly. "I am okay with this and I give Wayne my blessing to marry you. I can see how much he cares about you and how happy he makes you. I'd rather he played for a different team, maybe not even hockey at all but I'll live with it, just to see that smile on your face. You're my sister and I only want to protect you and make sure you have what is best for you. But you're an adult and have to make your own decisions and decide for yourself what makes you happy and if Wayne is it, then Wayne is it. I can deal with that."

She ran around the table and threw her arms around Pascal. "Thank you! For being the best brother a girl could ask for, for being my protector, for accepting this. Thank you for everything."

"If he doesn't live up to expectations, I will kick his ass," Pascal promised.

"Wouldn't expect anything different," Wayne told him. "But you have nothing to worry about. I'll never let her down," he promised.

~*~*~


"Good morning beautiful," Wayne said as Nicki walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning husband," she said as she wrapped her arms around him.

He smiled. "I like the way that sounds, wife." She snuggled against him. "Breakfast?" She nodded and took a seat at the breakfast bar. In September, just before they headed back to Philadelphia for training camp, they had gotten married. A last minute cancellation at the Toronto Botanical Gardens provided the perfect backdrop. Wayne's teammates had been there, both their families, and their friends. It had been a perfect night and Nicki still held the memories close.

Now October, the home opener loomed that evening. The hockey gods couldn't have done better by opening the season with Flyers versus Penguins. Carole-Lyne and the kids were coming in a few hours and Nicki was excited for their visit. They had not yet seen the house she and Wayne had bought during the summer and she was excited to share that with her sister in law.

"I still can't believe you're playing each other, to open the season," Nicki said as Wayne set a plate in front of her.

"Better to get it out of the way now while everyone's caught up in the fever of the start of a new season. I've already been asked about it so I know it'll be a story point all game."

"At least you won't have much ice time against each other, right?"

"Do you not want us on the ice together?"

"Of course not! It would be nerve wracking!"

"I play on a line with Giroux and Briere. He plays on the top line. We're going to be on the ice together, a lot."

"Well then I am going to try and not think about it."

Wayne chuckled. "You keep trying then."

Wayne left for the arena an hour after Carol-Lyne and the kids arrived. They piled into Carol-Lyne's SUV and drove across town. The four kids chattered the entire ride and the second youngest, Zoe, wanted to see Wayne when they got there.

"Please Aunt Nicki? Please, please, please?" She begged, hopping from foot to foot as everyone piled out. Nicki glanced at Carol.

"I'll take her if its okay with you," Nicki said. "We have time. There's two hours to kill."

"You sure?" Carol asked.

"Wayne won't mind. What about Pascal?"

Carol giggled. "He's learning to deal with the fact that daddy is no longer her favorite."

Nicki took Zoe's little hand in hers as they walked to the entrance. She waved to Carol as she and the other three DuPuis children headed towards the visitors locker room. Nicki turned and walked to the Flyers locker room. Wayne was coming out of the trainers room when he saw the two.

"Is that my favorite DuPuis?" Wayne asked with a grin. He kneeled down and Zoe let go of Nicki's hand and ran to him.

"Uncle Simmer! Uncle Simmer!" She squealed as she threw her tiny arms around his neck.

Wayne lifted her up and held her. "What are you wearing?" Wayne asked, wrinkling his nose.

"It's daddy's," she answered, pointing at the penguin in her chest.

"You can't wear that in there." He pointed at the locker room. "I got you something."

"A present?"

"Yep."

"I want! I want!"

Wayne chuckled. "First we have to lose this yucky penguins jersey."

"Aunt Nicki, will you take off my jersey?"

"What are you up to?" Nicki asked Wayne. His eyes twinkled.

"Nothing," he replied, kissing her lightly. Nicki pulled the jersey over Zoe's head and folded it into her purse. "Now you're ready," Wayne said to Zoe. He pushed the door open and walked inside, Nicki following closely. A couple of the guys called out hellos to her and she waved back to them.

"Who is this jolie petite fille?" Danny asked as he walked in.

"This is my niece Zoe," Wayne answered proudly. "Zoe, this is Danny B."

"Hello Mr. Danny B," Zoe said, looking up at Danny.

Danny smiled down at her. "You can call me Danny, Zoe.

"Is that little Zoe DuPuis?" Max's voice boomed across the room. He twirled the little girl in his arms. "Where is your daddy's jersey?" He asked.

"Uncle Simmer said it was yucky," Zoe answered him seriously. Max laughed.

"Uncle Simmer said, huh?"

Zoe nodded. "Uncle Simmer, you said you had a present for me."

"I do." He reached into his stall and pulled a small gift wrapped in orange and black and he handed it to Zoe. She tore the paper off and held the Flyers jersey in her hands. She smiled from ear to ear.
"It's just like yours Uncle Simmer!"

He took the jersey from her and helped her put it on. "Just like mine," he agreed.

Nicki groaned. "Pascal is going to kill you."

"It'll be worth it. I got two of his girls in my number now." He hugged Nicki as the other guys on the team oohed over Zoe's little Simmonds jersey.

"Daddy!" Zoe yelled a half hour later. "Look what Uncle Simmer got me!" She spun in a circle to show off her orange Flyers jersey.

Pascal groaned and Nicki saw Carol giggle as he hugged his daughter. "That is not coming into my house," he said to Nicki.

"Duper, are all your women changing allegiances?" Marc Andre Fleury joked from his stall. Nicki waved to him. "Good to see you, Nic."

"Daddy, I met a man with funny hair, like a clown. 'Cept he didn't have a red nose," Zoe told him. "And Mr. Danny B. He said I was very pretty but to tell you that you were prettier."

Nicki giggled and Pascal turned to her. "Really? He's got my four year old chirping me for him?"

"I had nothing to do with this. I didn't even know he had bought her the jersey."

"Daddy, Mr. Scott the clown said he would get me one of his too. And Mr. Max too."

"No! That is the only Flyers jersey you are ever allowed to have."

"So if I get each of your kids a different Flyers jersey for their birthdays, you would not approve?" Nicki asked.

"Don't even think about it," Pascal warned.

"What is she wearing?" Sidney Crosby asked as he walked into the room, staring at Zoe. She ran over and hugged his legs.

"Hi Sidney!" She said happily. "It's Uncle Simmer's! Do you like it?"

Sidney frowned. "Uncle Simmer?" He asked, turning to Nicki and frowning at her black Flyers jersey.

"Um, I guess Pascal hasn't told you guys yet?" Nicki said.

"Told us what?"

"I got married last month, to Wayne."

"You married Wayne Simmonds?! But he's a Flyer!"

"I know and I love him in spite of it," Nicki giggled. "Zoe loves him too, right Zoe?"

She nodded seriously at Sidney. "Uncle Simmer says Penguins yucky, go Flyers."

Sidney and Pascal groaned. Flower laughed along with Nicki and Carol. "Come on Zoe; we better get out of here before we cause a mutiny. Go give your dad a hug." Zoe ran over and hugged her dad, and then his other kids followed suit. They made their way to their seats in a private box Zoe had rented for the night.

Zoe smiled as Nicki made her way into the box with her family. "Hi, you must be Carol-Lyne," Zoe said. "Max and Nicki have told me so much about you."

"It's nice to finally meet you," Carol-Lyne replied, hugging Zoe. "And thank you for having us here."

"It's no problem. This is Gwen and Lindsey," she introduced her friends. "And their kids too." The kids mixed together, Danny's boys keeping an eye on the little ones, unfazed by the DuPuis kids in their Penguins jerseys.

"Looks like everyone is getting along," Nicki said as she watched the kids together.

"They're Danny's boys; you expected anything different?" Zoe asked.

Nicki grinned. "Nope."

"Mommy, look!" Zoe DuPuis pointed at the ice. "There's Mr. Scott the clown!"

Zoe burst out laughing. "Did she just call Hartsy a clown?"

"It's his hair; it reminds her of a clown," Nicki answered.

"It's very fitting. I think I'll call him that too."

Wayne hugged Nicki to him after the game when she met him in the family lounge. He kissed her softly. "Lets go home," he said to her.

"You don't want to go out with everyone and celebrate?" Nicki asked.

"I'd rather be alone with you."

Nicki smiled. "You know you're pretty perfect, right?"

"You too babe. Now lets get out of here so I can get you naked."

"Wayne!"

"What?" He bent his head and kissed her. "I love you."

"Love you too."

"Lets go find your family and tell them bye," Wayne said, taking her hand and leaving the room. They wound through the halls and found Pascal and his family just outside the locker room.

"Good game, bro," Wayne grinned as they walked up.

Pascal groaned. "Please god don't let anyone hear you."

"We've got six more games this season," Wayne pointed out. "Maybe you'll get a goal next time."

Pascal frowned. "Keep it up and I'll disinvite you to Christmas."

"Carol-Lyne won't let you do that. She likes me."

Carol smiled and hugged Wayne. "Great game, Wayne."

"Thanks Carol." He hugged each of the DuPuis kids and picked Zoe up. Nicki hugged her brother and then her nieces and nephew before hugging Carol.

"I'll see you in Pittsburgh in two weeks," Nicki promised.

"You're gonna wear my jersey again, Zoe?" Wayne asked.

"Yes Uncle Simmer!"

He kissed her little cheek. "See ya soon little Duper." He set her down and she looked up at him.

"Bye Uncle Simmer!"

"See you guys soon," Carol said as she ushered her brood to the car. They waved goodbye to Pascal and headed to Wayne's car. He opened the door for Nicki and waited until she had settled into the seat before going around to the drivers side.

"Home?"

"Home," Nicki agreed. Wayne held her hand in his and kissed the back of her hand.

"I think Zoe needs a cousin," Wayne said as he pulled out of the parking garage.

"Oh you do, do you?"

He nodded. "Yep. Wanna get started on that?"

"Yeah, lets get started on that. I love you Wayne Simmonds."

"I love you Nicolette Simmonds, just the way you are."

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
I really hope y'all enjoyed this. It's much shorter than what I normally do but in all honesty, I got stuck and couldn't decide what to do and left this story unattended for a couple months before writing the last two chapters that skipped forward. I'm working on a Hartsy story now and can promise that some of these characters will turn up again. I apperciate all your comments. :)