Sequel: Released into the Air
Status: Finished

Submerged in Water

Fire

"Shit." Was the one word Robyn said as we caught her up to speed on the conversation we had at the cove.

We were standing in the hallway, a few minutes before class. Rune pulled us both into the Janitor's closet and closed the door behind himself. He flicked on the light switch and said, "we need a plan."

"Working on it." Robyn started pacing inside the small enclosed space. "I wish I knew for sure that they were Enders. We can't just go up to them and ask."

"Why not? It's not like they don't know about us. We're all pretty obvious as to who we are to non-humans."

"If they wanted to make themselves known, they would've." Rune added.

"He's right." Robyn agreed. "There's a reason for them to stay hidden. There always is. I don't think we should force it."

I stepped forward, saying my piece. "We still know though, that's the same thing, isn't it? Maybe we were supposed to find out that they were Enders and join up with them or something."

"She has a point." Rune thought about it for a few seconds. "We can play the same game their playing."

"But what are they playing?" Robyn stumbled on a fallen over broom and kicked it away in an attempt to release some steam. "We don't know what they're doing here!"

"We still don't even know if they're Enders are not. We could just be going out on a limb here." Rune crossed his arms and leaned against the door to keep it shut.

"Well why don't we do something similar to what they did to me?" I asked them. "To test if they're Enders?"

"We still don't know if they were the ones that spiked your seaweed or not but I can't see it being anyone else at the moment." Robyn countered. "Yet, I like the way you think. How can we test them? I'm thinking eye for an eye." She turned to Rune. "Please tell me you have something for the Enders that can turn them into horny beasts?"

Rune chuckled. "Not that I know of."

She turned to me.

"Don't look at me." I said.

"Well, what do you know about Enders?" Robyn asked Rune.

"They're very spiritual, connected to the Earth, the animals and just nature in general. They don't like to fight, but will sometimes, to restore the balance of the Earth. They like to teach their young at an early age to control their abilities. They have a lot more responsibility that most do when they're younger. They have a longer life span then regular humans and some versions of them can control or create fire."

"Hmmm." Robyn didn't seemed too impressed. "That's pretty much the same thing I knew. Except, I didn't know they could do the fire thing. Where did you learn that?"

"I found it in a history book, it said it was a rare skill to have because for most Enders it was unnecessary to complete their 'life goal.' It's only given to special Enders that will need it sometime in their lifetime."

"Wow, sounds likes a lot of pressure." I commented on the conversation. "To already have your future written out for you must be hard to accept."

"It can be." Rune agreed. "But some people like it. It can be nice to not have to choose or make choices but for the choices to be made for you. To know that they will work out in the end and that you will impact the Earth in your own special way can be relieving in itself. There's less pressure when you know that things are going to be okay in the end."

"Well, when you put it like that..."

Robyn came in. "Maybe we should just get close to them." She suggested. "Like become friends with them like we have with Talon and Layla. Keep the supernatural part out and just see where it goes."

"That's not a half-bad idea." Rune seemed to like this. "The only problem is that Jonathan and Scott have showed no interest in us. We can't just walk up to them, that's way too suspicious."

"Well Emele can do it then."

"Uhg." I cringed. "How did I know this was going to happen?"

Rune's face lit up at my dismay. "It always happens to you, Emele."

So it seemed like it had been decided because they both made for the door to leave. We stepped out into the hall and when I turned to see if Layla was at her locker, I couldn't believe what I saw.

Layla, who usually always wore her hair up in a bun or a pony tail and never cared much for her looks, had let her hair down and styled it into tousled curls. They fell over her shoulders and bounced as she moved down the hall. She wore a tight white tank top that showed off her massive amount of cleavage that I hadn't even realized she had and she wore an even tighter pair of forest green jeans. To say I was shocked, would be an understatement.

Not only did she come out looking like a model but she almost rivalled in beauty to Jonathan. It was like she had just stepped out of a Disney movie and she knew it. Boy, did she know it.

A sly knowing grin spread across her face when she noticed me staring dumbly at her.

"Layla?" I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Hey, Emele." She bounced up to me. "What's up?"

"What's up?" I repeated. "I believe the term is W-T-F?"

She giggled and shrugged. "I figured it was time for a change."

I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed but Rune and Robyn had already escaped somewhere and it was just me and a bunch of spectators all looking at the beauty that was in front of me.

"No." I leaned in and whispered in her ear. "I think you figured it was time to step up your game to win Jonathan over."

She giggled. "Yeah, pretty much." She looked down at herself and gave me a nervous look. "Do you think it's going to work?"

"If it doesn't that boy is..." I was going to crazy but I realized that if it didn't work, it was probably because he was Ender. Not crazy. "Messed up."

"Thanks, Emele." She smiled at me. "Anyway, the bell should ring in about twenty seconds. I'm going to get ready and book it to class. I'll see you there."

"Oh... kay." I was still kind of dumb founded by this revelation as she skipped off to her locker.

The bell rung twenty seconds later like she had predicted but it still startled me. I collected my thoughts and made a silent wish that today wouldn't be as screwed up as it was turning out to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Blah blah blah, my story is awesome. Bow down before my greatness.