Sequel: Released into the Air
Status: Finished

Submerged in Water

Island

"I think we need to move on." He told me, after I had just been trying for the past fifteen minutes to form the ice around us.

I turned to him and sighed. He was right. I was only becoming more frustrated the more I worked on it and I could tell that at any moment the water would begin to boil around me. The blanket I wove was turning into a thin thread.

I could always sleep in the water but then where would Jonathan sleep?

I rubbed my fingers around my temples, willing myself to think.

"Wait, Emele, do you see that?" I followed my eyes to where he was pointing.

"I see nothing."

"Just... look."

I squinted my eyes, willing myself to see, but to be honest all I saw was more water. I didn't even see any boats anymore since we were so far away from the continent.

"I still don't see it."

He laughed. "Just go in that direction... you will."

Since I was out of options, I complied to his wishes. I crouched foward, hooking my hand back into the handle that I had formed into the ice and lifted us off the ocean again. Jonathan pierced the ice with my spear, creating his own handle to hold onto. He put his other hand on my shoulder for extra support.

It was the first time I noticed how warm Jonathan was.

Since Rune and the other Oros were all temperature-protected like I was, I wondered if he was alright in this weather. After all, Enders did originate from humans, who are temperature-sensitive creatures.

"There!" He shouted from behind me.

I did see it now.

It was a small island, probably the size of two or three football fields. I saw a few palm trees in the dark from a distance but I didn't see any fresh water or civilization. It should do for the night.

I set us down on it, jumping off just as quickly and landing on the ridiculously soft sand. It was softer than the sand near the cove, which had turned hard from long years of rushing water. Also, the smell of the salt water coming from the ocean made me feel almost nostalgic. Strange, since I had never been near an ocean before.

"This should do for the night." I turned to watch Jonathan jump off the ice vessel and land on the sand with me.

"Yeah." I agreed, then I remembered what I was thinking about before. "Are... are you okay? Out here, I mean?"

He stepped closer to me, looking into my eyes. "What? You mean on an uninhabital island? Yeah, I should be okay."

"Okay good." I put my hands on my hips and stared at the island, wondering what I should do first.

A wicked look came on his face, until I had to ask, "what?"

"Have you ever watched the Blue Lagoon movies?"

"No..." I wondered where this was going.

He bit his lip and a shy smile came on his face. "Good."

I watched as he trudged into small forest that consisted of basically palm trees. I wanted to go up and ask him what the Blue Lagoon movies were about but decided against it. With the devilish look on his face and the with the prowess he now walked the island with, I figured I was probably better off not knowing.

I saw him collecting sticks and figured I should do my share of helping out. I dug a large hole in the sand that was large enough to store the unsalted fresh water that had served as our vessel. Just in case we couldn't find fresh water on the island. I could boil it and then purify it by stripping out the unnecessary elements in it if I had to.

When I turned around, he was already setting up a bungalo-style fire. I came up behind him and crossed my arms.

"How are you going to light it?" I wondered out loud.

"I have no freakin' clue."

"So I'm guessing you're not one of the Enders that can make fire?"

He turned to look at me then, his eyes told me he was surprised. "No, but I'm shocked that you knew about information like that. Most people don't think it's true."

"Isn't it?" I asked, coming to sit beside him where he was crouched building the fire. "I mean, it is true, right?"

He hesistated, then nodded slowly. "Diara can do it."

Of course. Diara somehow can steal my love interest and be one of the only Enders to create fire and I haven't even met her. "Huh." I didn't know what else to say.

"You don't sound too impressed." He noted. "I'm guessing you're not too fond of her."

I shrugged. "I would be lying if I said I was."

He turned to look at me and then smiled, like my words were kind. "That's what I like about you Emele, you don't lie to people and when you do, you still try not to. Theres always some truth in what you say."

"Thanks... I think." I defended myself. "So are we going to just kneel beside this pile of sticks all night or are we going to light it?"

"I have no idea how to, I thought you might be able to come up with something."

I shook my head. "Water princess, remember? This is out of my element. Besides, I'm fine in the cold."

When he didn't respond, I turned to look at him. He was still staring at the sticks, like he was willing it to light. I figured this would take a while.

I decided to strip out of my constricting clothes to go for a swim in the ocean, wanting to explore it more rather than touch it. I wasn't all that tired yet and I probably wouldn't feel it for a while since my sleep schedule was all screwed up from the training in the morning and the nightmares at night. The nightmares were starting to go away now, it seemed, which I was thankful for, but they were still there sometimes.

"Jeez." He watched me strip, unashamed. After all, I had stood in front of him and he took me home while I was naked. "You really aren't that insecure, are you?"

"Huh?" I looked down at the bra and panties I was wearing. They were plain, cotton and white. "Oh yeah, I guess but you've already seen the goods, so who really cares, right?"

I turned to look at him and he was giving me an exasperated look. I noticed then that he had wrapped his arms around himself. I tipped my head to the side, examining him closer. His jacket that he wore was zipped up now too, which he must've done while I was declothing myself.

"Are you cold?" I was suprised.

"N-no." His voice stuttered.

His eyes lifted up to mine but they looked vulnerable and he looked away immediately.

I sighed. "Why do you lie?" I put my hands on my hips. "I may not be able to start a fire but I can heat the ocean water. If you come into it just near the shore, I can make it like a hot tub."

Not liking that he seemed weak, he said "and I was hoping that my ploy for you to come warm me up would've worked."