Sequel: Released into the Air
Status: Finished

Submerged in Water

Tsunami

"Where the fucking hell have you been?" Aubrey felt the need to swear at me.
Jonathan and I walked through the door of my house, where everyone was still gathered. I took a look at my worried parents and immediately felt bad that I had left. However, this wasn't the time for regrets.

"No time." Jonathan took control of the situation. I turned around to watch Lucy skip back into the forest and become the size of a small squirrel. I found it quite interesting. "We came back because there's something wrong."

From the looks my parents were shooting me and the way that Dale still hadn't left yet. I figured they had broke everything to my parents. But I had to make sure before I start going off about what I knew. "Do they know?" I asked this question directly at Rune, knowing that he would give me a straight answer.

He nodded. "We told your parents. No need to censor anything."

"Good." Jonathan didn't have time for censorship. "Because we need to get to work. Scott." He turned to his cousin. "Are you feeling it? The animals?"

Scott nodded. "Yes, just a few hours ago I started feeling it. I don't know what it is but it's coming off the ocean I think. I didn't know what it was at first, so I didn't bother to mention it since the Oros didn't say anything." He glanced at Rune and Robyn.

"Yeah, Emele said she could feel it."

Robyn, Aubrey, Rune, Dale, Scott and my parents all turned to look at me.

"Have you checked the news?" I asked them. "I have this gut feeling that it's weather related. Maybe a storm or something."

My parents were already reaching for the remote to flick on the T.V. We all gasped because there was a weather warning on every channel. It flowed across the bottom of the screen in a deep long strip of red lettering.

A tsunami warning.

"A tsunami?" I breathed. "An attack." I silently cursed because somewhere deep inside me I had known it all along.

I turned around and banged a fist against the wall in anger. "No wonder all the ships were at the dock."

"Is everyone fleeing?" Jonathan wondered.

"If everyone is fleeing then the roads are going to be horrible, nobody is going to get out." My Dad spoke up then. "This town is in between the ocean and a mountain. Either getting past the moutain or getting on top of it is the best bet for safety."

"Yeah, but you just said that nobody is going to get out." I argued.

"That's because the roads are going to get so busy they'll be blocked from people trying to escape... do you know how long we have before it hits?"

Jonathan shook his head. "No I don't."

I knew. "I think we might have a few hours. I'll be able to tell more as time goes on. I'll be able to sense the large disturbance in the water... probably."

"Well, we'll all be able to escape fine anyway." Robyn spoke up. "We can fly your parents up to one of the mountains and I know the Enders have Lucy. And Emele definitely has no problem with water."

"No." I shook my head. "I don't like that. I don't like abandoning everything."

"There isn't anything we can do." Rune spoke up. "I can't even sense it. We don't have enough power to stop a tsunami. We may be supernatural but we aren't invulnerable."

I didn't like that answer. "But I have... them."

Jonathan knew what I meant. "No, Emele."

"Well I have a few thousand dead souls and their powers stuck inside of me for a reason. Maybe this is the reason." It sounded pathetic in my ears.

"You can't stop a tsunami." Rune protested.

"Even if you did have the power." Jonathan tried to explain. "You don't know how to control it. The souls take over you and for all we know you could turn against us once the souls come out. You seem to forget that the dead souls inside of you wanted to drown the Earth in water, not try to protect it from that fact."

I hissed because I knew he was right. I turned around and pressed my head against the wall, trying to think clearly. They continued talking behind me.

"We can get loved ones out of here easily. Robyn and Rune can fly up to the mountains in twenty, thirty minutes tops." Jonathan went on. "Lucy can carry about six or seven people also and she can make one trip up to the mountain in about an hour. I think that covers a wide variety of people. Maybe we can help others escape by creating a flat plain for them to drive on."

"I don't think they'll be any time for that." Robyn stood up then and crossed her arms under her breasts. "Oros can't break rock. Emele probably can but I doubt she'd be able to chip away at much before it comes. We're better to just try and run for it. Get our valuables and go just like everyone else. We're people too, just like everyone else. We can't save people. We aren't superheroes."

Superheroes. The word broke me out of my deep thought and I turned to look at Aubrey. She had said that I was like a superhero. I had powers and abilites that could help people. Even though a part of what Robyn said spoke to me, there was still that small part of me that said I could stop this. I could stop this but at what cost?

What about Layla and Talon? Did they know this was coming? I figured they would, since they were Oro and if they didn't, then they would probably find out before getting hurt. There was still a chance that they could get destroyed in the tsunami. Slim but there was still a chance.

There was a chance I could stop this too and save millions of lives. I had a feeling that if I just fought against the souls I would be able to control it. I could stop this. I knew I could. But I couldn't do it alone.

They were still talking about the evacuation plans when I cut in. "You were right Aubrey."

Everyone stopped talking when I had returned back to reality. "What?" She wondered what the hell I was talking about.

"I am a superhero."

The room fell silent. I turned to look at Jonathan's face and his eyes were calculating. "I told you, Emele. It's a no."

"I can do it, Jonathan, you just need to trust me."

He shook his head. "I'm not going to let you do it."

I stepped towards him and grabbed his hands. Pulling him closer. "I can't do it alone. I know I can but I need you to help me."

He breathed out. He didn't know what to say for a few seconds and I figured he was running through all the situations in his head. Wondering what it was that I was so sure about. How this could even work out. "You know I would never leave you."

"Then help me." I begged.

His hands tightened around mine. Hard. "Are you sure? Do you really think you can stop it?"

"I know I can, I just need someone to pull me back."

"Pull you back?" My Mom asked, confused. "What do you mean, pull you back?"

I sighed, stepping away from Jonathan but still holding onto his hand. "Once I get too deep into the soul's power sometimes it's hard for me to control myself. I black out, become a different person and I don't realize what's happened until I wake up."

Jonathan continued for me. "She isn't exactly stable when she uses that much power. I think she may be able to control it though. I just wish that she would've had more practice with it before now."

"I can do it." I assured them all. "I just need an anchor. I found that last time I went under, Rune seemed to have pulled me back out."

"Well I'll do it again." Rune stood up and volunteered.

I shook my head. "It needs to be Jonathan, Aubrey or my parents. Someone I deeply care about. I think it would be safer if it was Jonathan just because he is Ender and he might be able to help me during... the process."

"Jonathan?" Rune seemed surprised. "I didn't know you two were..."

Jonathan laughed and shrugged. "A lot can happen over one night."

Rune raised his eyebrows. "I can see that."

"Well then what exactly is the plan?" Robyn snapped us out of our teenage drama. "Because we don't have a whole lot of time here to be talking. We better pick something and stick with it."

"Right." I nodded, turning the leader switch inside of me on. "Chances are, there will be helicopters flying over, taping the entire tsunami. I won't be surprised if there is some idiot with a video camera trying to tape the whole thing. I don't know about you guys, but I don't exactly want to ruin my identity. I still have a high school career to finish here. If we're going to stop it, they're going to know who are we and find us later, after we're finished."

"We can put on masks."

I smiled, liking that Robyn was on the same page. "We're going to do more than just put on masks." An evil grin crept on my face. "We're superheroes after all, not villains."