Status: Every slow updates as we have only a couple chapters done

Love Conquers All

Chapter One

Blonde and pink hair hung in a thick, long braid that swung slightly as I moved, scanning items, and then told the elderly lady her total. “That will be $24.64, madam,” I told her sweetly and then watched as the lady wrote out a check.

She tore the check out and handed it to me. “Here you go, sweetie,” she said softly, and I noticed a beautiful ring.

I took the check from her and put it through the electronic check machine. “What a beautiful ring. May I ask what it is made of?”

The lady looked at her ring finger. “Oh, thank you. It is sterling silver and mother of pearl that my husband had crafted for our 50th anniversary,” she told me as I handed her the check back with her receipt.

“That’s a wonderful anniversary gift,” I smiled. “Have a wonderful day, ma’am.”

I watched her leave and helped the next costumer as I thought what it would be like to love the same person for 50 years. I shook my head as I told the man his total and then saw Kass come to my register. She blew a large pink bubble of gum to the point of explosion and I smiled. “I’m s’posed to take over so you can grab lunch,” she said, looking bored.

I fixed my hair slightly. “Thanks, Kass,” I dug under my counter for my purse and when I came up with it I waved. “I’ll see you in 30 minutes.”

“See ya, Ana. Tell that brother of yours I say hey,” she commented, flipping her blue hair back.

I waved behind me again to let her know I had heard her as I scurried to the back room to clock out for lunch. I punched my card and hurried off outside to my old truck, patting its fading gray hood lightly as I passed it. It had been a gift from my identical twin brother, Angel, and I cherished it.

I hopped in and drove to our two story house, where I lived with my father and brother. “I’m home for lunch!” I called out as I walked in.

“Hey Ana, dad isn’t here. He’s up at the hospital again,” answered my brother’s voice.

“Hey Angel, is he getting any better?” I asked concerned as I walked into the kitchen to come face to face with Angel.

He shrugged. “You know as well as I do. He seems fine, but you know dad isn’t going to show how much the cancer is taking out of him,” he responded, opening cabinets and laying stuff out for PB&J sandwiches.

I laughed softly as I watched him set out the food. “What are we, five again?”

He looked at what he had laid out and flashed a dazzling smile. “It sounded good and simple for lunch,” he commented, getting a butter knife out of the silverware drawer. “Would you like one, Miss I’m-too-old-for-PB&J?”

“Hey I am not too old for PB&J’s! Yes, I would like one and for you to have a boyfriend to terrorize rather than me,” I giggled at his shocked look.

“Even if I had one, I’d still terrorize you,” he stated, starting to make lunch for us both. “Would you like a glass of milk to go with it or yogurt?”

I thought for a moment, sitting at the bar. "A glass of milk please," I answered after a minute or two, shifting my sit back and forth as I waited.

"So how is work going today?" Angel asked offhandedly, cutting the crust off one sandwich and then cutting both down the middle.

I shrugged indifferently. "It's kind of slow so I’ve done some homework. Oh, Kass says hey," I relayed to him. "I think she likes you."

He smiled; his two different colored eyes glowed when he did. "She's being nice, Annie. Kassandra is a sweet girl and I'd probably go for her if I went that way, but I don't," he stated, placing a plate with the sandwich with no crust on it in front of me and a glass of milk.

“Oh, so you do admit to liking her back?” I cocked a perfectly trimmed eyebrow at my twin, who turned bright red.

He stammered for words for a moment, giving me an incredulous look. “Anabel Erika Hunter!”

I giggled at the full name calling, knowing he was irritable now.” Yes, my sweet Angel Eros Hunter?”

He flipped me the bird and I laughed. “Shut up, Annie,” he chuckled back.

“So how’s the clothing job going?” I asked lightly, taking a bite of my sandwich.

“It’s been steady today,” he replied and then we heard the door open and closed.

After we heard keys on wood and drop of shoes, we heard. “I’m home!”

“Hi, dad!” Angel and I called out in unison.

A man with graying hair and a pepper and salt beard walked in. He was looking thinner than his usual plumper self, and his voice was hoarser because of the coughing fits he’d fall into occasionally. He said he had plenty of time, but Angel and I knew that he was just putting a show on for our sake, which it didn't make us feel any better because we knew the end was coming. "Angel, Anabel, my sweet, sweet twins. How is the day going for you both?" our dad asked with a tired smile.

“As good as any day can be, working in a grocery store,” I said, rolling my eyes. “I’ll be happy when I finish school.”

“I’ll be glad when we graduate too, Ana,” my twin commented, playing with his food while he had a dreamy look on his face.

I snapped my fingers in front of his face. “Hey dream boy, was there more to that?” I giggled while dad sat next to me and Angel put a bowl of oatmeal in front of him.

Angel shrugged while telling dad. “Eat that, dad. You need to put some more weight back on. I was thinking about what I would like for my future.”

I gulped down the milk. “What is that plan?” I asked with a grin.

“Modeling,” he stated simply as we watched dad play with his oatmeal.

I finished my lunch, kissed dad on the cheek and stood up. “Well I have to get back to work. Eat your oatmeal, daddy, it’s good for you,” I told him as I grabbed for my purse.

“I will, honey. We’ll see you at dinner,” dad commented.

I nodded, and then looked to my twin. “Angel, don’t make dinner tonight. I’m going to grab a couple pizzas after work,” I told him as I turned to leave.

“Okay, Annie, whatever you want to do. See you at dinner then,” he said as I left, returning to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here is the start of something new for me... a half ass straight (female/male) story *shocked* omg what am I getting myself into? Trying to expand my writing beyong slash writing, and it's proving slightly difficult bc it's outside my loving comfort zone, BUT I have Rat Head to help when I hiut a brick wall! lmfao <3