Goodbye Harry?

I Don't Care?

A week later, Billie found Harry was on his mind a lot more than she should have been. He’d seen her twice since that night and both times he’d acted quite stupidly. He had tried to be normal with her; not laughing too loudly or smiling too widely – trying to be himself. He’d been pretty sure Mike had given him a few strange looks as if to say “what the hell are you doing?” so he was obviously doing something wrong. He figured he had to try a different tactic to get her out of his head.
“Hey,” Tre’s voice pulled Billie out of his thoughts. “I’m just going to get Harry alright? I’ll be back in ten.”
“Fine, whatever,” Billie replied messing with his hair in the bathroom mirror.
He didn’t really want to go out. They were going out to another one of Mike’s recommended venues to see another small time band he’d never heard of; but he’d have rather stay in with the guys, discussing the new album and upcoming tour.
The front door opened. He closed his eyes. Here we go again, he thought.
He fixed his red tie in the bathroom mirror and came down the stairs to see Tre with his arms around Harry’s waist waiting at the door.
“Hey,” She smiled.
He gave a passing nod and quick smile and went in to the kitchen.
He poured himself a glass of water and drank it in one. This was not going to be good night, he thought. When he saw her in that black dress he still felt- dammit he wasn’t going to say it because it wasn’t true. He sighed angrily.
“Oi Billie!” Mike shouted from the front door. “Get away from the mirror and get in the damn car!”
Billie rolled his eyes. “Alright, alright.” He walked straight passed the couple, and followed Mike down the driveway, getting in to the front passengers seat.
They drove along in silence – for the first few minutes.
“Put some music on Billie. It’s too quiet.” Mike passed him a Sex Pistols CD from under his chair.
“Me and Harry can make some noise for you if you want,” Tre said giggling.
“Tre,” Harry sighed.
“I was talking about making music, actually.”
“Oh yeah?” Mike joined in, grinning at them in the rear view mirror. “What kind of music, eh?”
“Why do guys have to be so…?”
“So, what?” Tre asked smiling at her.
“You know what!” She tried to put on an annoyed face but that was never possible with Tre. She ended up smiling at his the innocent face he put on.
“No I don’t, tell me.” He teased.
She ignored him, trying to keep a straight face.
“I’m glad there’s at least one guy in this car that doesn’t have to make a double meaning out of everything.”
“You’re quiet Bill. Anything up?” Mike asked.
“Wouldn’t you like to know,” came Tre’s voice from the back.
“Tre!” Harry exclaimed. “Are you alright Billie?”
“Hmmm.” Came the reply.
“Sure?” Mike asked.
“Yeah I’m fine. Don’t worry.” he replied to Mike. “It’s just the excitement y’know.” He grinned at Mike.
Mike shook his head at the sarcasm. “Asshole.”
Billie glanced in the rear view mirror to see Tre with his head on Harry’s shoulder and her arm around him playing with his hair. He felt a slight stab of jealousy. He wanted – no, he needed – Adrienne.
Five minutes later they arrived and found that they were quite late and that the band were just about to get onstage.
Immediately, Mike found someone he knew and was soon busy chatting to what seemed to be old friends.
“I’m gonna get a drink,” Tre shouted over the noise as he looked over the heads of about a two hundred other punk rock fans towards the bar. “Want one?”
They both nodded.
Billie found he was left alone with Harry. Not good. As they were at the back, he began moving closer to the stage, hurrying a little faster than was necessary. He suddenly felt someone grab his hand and turn him around.
“Billie, are you alright?” Harry’s face was shocked and concerned.
“Yes, God damn it! I’m fine!” He said angrily. “Why wouldn’t I be? And what’s with the fucking questions?”
He turned around and continued pushing his way closer to the stage, leaving her standing alone, confused and speechless.