Goodbye Harry?

Apoligies and Alcohol

Billie was blown away. She was obviously an amazing drummer. Mike looked equally impressed as Tre grinned at them both.
“Why did you never tell us before?” Billie shouted in his ear.
Tre just shrugged. “You didn’t ask!”
At the end of the show, they went round the back of the venue where they knew the band would leave from. Billie lit up as he waited, feeling nervous but trying his best to ignore it.
“She was pretty awesome,” Mike broke the silence, hands in his pockets. “How long has she been drumming?”
“Since about 15. So ten years,” he winked.
The backstage door opened and Harry and the tall, good looking black haired guy who had been the guitarist walked out. She stopped in mid sentence, looking shocked.
She laughed. “Tre! What the fuck are you doing here?!”
“Just passing.” Tre smiled and hugged her. “You were pretty average.” He teased, kissing her cheek.
She shook her head, smiling and caught sight of the other two. “Oh, hey.”
“Very impressive.” Mike smiled.
“Yeah, it really was excellent.” Billie had been watching her and she still hadn’t looked at him.
“Thanks,” she said turning to the guy next to her. “This is James by the way. James, this is Green Day - obviously.”
He shook their hands, clearly nervous in meeting some of his all time heroes.
“Let’s all go get wasted to celebrate,” Tre exclaimed.
“To celebrate what?” Harry asked, confused.
“I don’t know… The gig? Your drumming? Do we need an excuse?”
Mike laughed. “Well I said I’d meet a friend an hour ago so I’m going to have to run. Pass us your keys Tre.”
“What’s the magic word?” Tre said, grinning wickedly as he held them out of Mike’s reach.
“Er, now?” Mike swiped them from his grasp. “See you back at the house.”
“Where we going to then?” Billie asked, as Mike had driven away. He had sort of directed the question at Harry, who was more interested and amused in watching Tre’s impression of her drumming.
“Ryland’s?” Asked James, his hands nervously in his pockets.
“Why not.” Billie sighed as he began to walk to the car. He had thought – well, hoped - she might have forgotten about it but who was he kidding? He’d practically yelled at her and stormed off for no apparent reason after barely knowing her. He’d have to find some way of speaking to her before the night was over.
They arrived fifteen minutes later at a busy bar; heavy rock music blasting out.
Billie and James were immediately being eyed up by some girls sitting at a table.
“Let’s go and get some drinks Tre,” Harry said loudly over the blasting music, taking his hand and leading the way through the mass of bodies.
Billie and James were about to follow when a female voice behind stopped them.
“Hey boys,” one of the girls from the table in the corner was now smiling sweetly in front of them. “Wanna join us?” Billie could see five other girls watching them. Oh great, he thought exasperatedly.
Before they could answer, she pulled Billie by the hand towards the table, as a grinning James followed.
Fifteen minutes later and Billie was annoyed. Two of the girls opposite him kept smiling at him, which he tried his best to ignore, while the girl next to him didn’t seem to understand that he was “happily married” and kept touching his hair, his tie or his legs. James meanwhile was enjoying the attention from one girl who had sat herself on his lap and was playing with his hair.
“Erm, I just need to… go and…” Billie jumped up before they could stop him and lost himself in the sea of bodies before they could chase him.
He wanted to find Harry and Tre but he thought he better go to the toilets in case any of the girls were behind him.
Inside he found Tre talking animatedly with another guy.
“Hey Billie!” Tre exclaimed as he caught sight of him. “This is Danny. You remember him don’t ya?”
“Hey,” Billie said passively to the unfamiliar guy before confusedly turning to Tre. “Where’s Harry?”
“At the bar.”
“You left her?”
“She was chatting to some guy.”
Billie rolled his eyes before leaving. But that was Tre for you. Anyway it seemed like a good chance to talk to her. It was probably the best one he was going to get, he thought sighing mentally. He looked over the heads of some rockers before catching sight of the bar and making his way towards it trying to prepare himself on what he was going to say.
Something shiny, in the corner to his left, caught his eye and he did a double take. Harry was looking a little uncomfortable, with her back against the wall, talking to a tall brown haired rocker who seemed to be a bit tipsy. He saw her laugh a little nervously. Unexpectedly, the guy suddenly lent forward, his hand pinning hers to the side of the wall and attempted to kiss her.
“Oi!” Billie shouted, dashing forward and pulling the guy off her by the back of his neck. “Get the fuck away from her, asshole.”
“You gonna make me?” The guy seemed to be a bit dazed, waving his bottle of beer with each word he spoke.
Billie came up in his face. “Unless you want my fist in your fucking face you better get outta here pretty fast.”
“Alright dude.” He backed away. “Relax, I didn’t mean anything.” The guy quickly made his way in to the crowd who hadn’t really paid any attention to the confrontation.
Billie turned back to Harry, softening his features. “You ok?” He asked her.
“Yeah … thanks for that.” She looked just as uncomfortable as she had done before.
“Look,” Billie said rubbing the back of his neck as he took a step forward. “About last night. I was out of order. It’s just the stress of everything and-“
“I know. It’s alright.”
“No, honestly. I’m an idiot and I shouldn’t have snapped, I’m sorry that-”
“Forget about it. I have.” She smiled. His heart skipped a beat. He smiled back, hoping his sparkling green eyes wouldn’t give away what he was feeling inside.
“There you are!” Tre jumped up from behind them, breaking the moment. “Stop talking and start drinking!”
And for the rest of the night, they did as they were told.