Certifiable

*** She Wrote

I feel a strange sensation, taking over
From my head to my toes
I got the shakes, body rippling
It's enough to shatter my bones
-Madhouse By Little Mix


I walked into the double doors as the bright fluorescent lights consumed my senses, causing my eyes to sting a little. My sight was blurred but quickly came to view the entrance room of the hospital. Rugs, plants and pictures all futilely tried to comfort me. However, I ignored them. Mercy was out of my element. It was a totally different universe. It made me uncomfortable to be here. I had a feeling that none of the skills I learned out there would really help me while I was in here.

I knew this place all too well and not much had changed aside from a recent dusting and paint job. It seemed that there had been some new changes because of the cleaner, more professional look. I was glad for it, for the most part.

My attention was caught by the swift movement of a figure to my left. He rose to his feet as I made my entrance farther into the room. I stopped in front of the largely unnecessary security desk.

“Oh! Corinne! My oh, My have you grown. I’ve missed you so much. Welcome back!” His enthusiastic greeting was met with a slightly awkward silence. I cleared my throat and faced him. I could not be rude, if grandma was here she would slap me.

“Oh, hey, Mr. Bill. Long time no see.” Was all I managed to get out. He laughed heartily. I tried to act normal and pleasant, but epically failed. Mr. Bill saw my attempt, and was amused by it all. He always had a way of laughing at things that no one else found humorous.

Mr. Bill Harper had been here for at least 40 years and he was not going anywhere. He was the best and the only security guard at Mercy Hospital. This was his home. A WWII veteran, Mr. Bill was all about routine and order. He organized and folded everything. Even, the papers on his desk were put in neat piles. I was sure his good mood was partly due to the upgrade in cleanliness of the hospital, well on the inside of it at least.

“Some things will never change.” He said sentimentally, patting down his neatly combed white hair. A broad grin was plastered on his face, emphasizing the deep wrinkles from decades of living. “Follow me.” With that the stocky, short security guard walked from behind the desk and exited the room. I was obedient, and trailed behind him. Anxiety crept back into my stomach but I decided to focus on Mr. Bill instead.

Mr. Bill rambled on, filling the otherwise eerie silence with sound. I was amazed how much he talked in such a short amount of time. He talked about the weather, and the news. Even the topic of current military activities got in the mix of conversation. I gave the occasional “Uh huh” and “wow” to cue my attentiveness. However, my mind was clouded with the looming possibility of failure and doom. But before I knew it we reached our destination: the nurses’ station.

I stopped so that the tip top of my shoes touched the barrier of the nurses’ station. I leaned over it and peered down at the middle-aged woman working diligently on some paper work like a child looking at her occupied parent. Her silver streaked brown hair was pulled back in a neat bun and her forehead was creased with what I interpreted as frustration. She didn’t notice me at first, but her light brown eyes met mine after a short moment. The spark of excitement appeared in her eyes.

“Ar- I mean Corinne!” Mrs. Robinson jolted up out of her seat like she caught a divine fever and attacked me with a hug. I leaned back pulling her petite body, causing her to lean over the short barrier. Her arms tightly wrapped around my neck, which was the only thing holding her up because I was sure that her feet weren’t touching the ground. I laughed at our funny position. She leaned out of our hug and reconnected with the ground.

Mrs. Joy Robinson was the head nurse at Mercy Hospital. She had been her for almost 20 years. After getting her diploma from graduate school, she came to work here. This was where her husband was. After coming home from a long military deployment, Mr. Robinson had a mental breakdown. The horrors of war tossed him into another reality. Mrs. R had to watch her husband deteriorate right before her eyes. It nearly ended her when he committed suicide 15 years ago.

You would think that the death would have repelled her from this place. However, it had done the complete opposite. I know she still goes into her husband’s old room from time to time. I guess she feels close to him here.

“Why such celebration?’ I questioned. I was truly amazed that they were so delighted to see me. “My first day has been planned for weeks now. You guys knew I was coming. This was no surprise.” My voice was light-hearted. Mrs. Robinson always had a way of bringing out the best in me. She momentarily shed her professional demeanor, so I knew it was okay to do the same. I turned around to look at Mr. Bill to include him in the conversation. He walked up and stood beside me, putting a firm hand on my shoulder.

“Well, we missed you.” My face felt hot from his words. I couldn’t imagine why. Someone missing me was a foreign idea. It was something I couldn’t wrap my head around.

“Yea we did.” Mrs. R chimed.

A woman, close to the height of Mrs. R, walked up to us, shattering our sentimental moment. She did not look at us but talked to Mrs. R, flipping through a folder of papers. Her voice had a nasally sound to it which really annoyed me. Mrs. R cleared her throat, interrupting her and making the woman’s head jolt up in surprise.

“Leena Joe, this is…” She looked back at me unsure for a moment. “Corinne. She is going to be working here now.” She had gone back into work mode again. Her face was now a composed seriousness. Leena Joe looked me up and down in scrutiny. She gave me a smile, but I was unsure of its sincerity.

“Oh, hello Karen. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She stuck out her hand like it was made gold. It hung out, dangling down like royalty.

“It’s Corinne.” My words were icicles aimed at her face but my countenance mirrored the opposite. I took her hand and twisted it to the side, then shook it like a man. Her face distorted and she retracted her hand from mines, giving me some quizzical glares.

“Well, it seems like you have been here before. Mrs. Robinson and Mr. Bill seem to know you deeply.” Her statement was more of a question. It beckoned for answer to follow, yet I had none for her. My mouth went dry. I did not have an answer to give her which is totally out of character. It seemed that my charm and wit left me when I walked in and without them I felt naked.

“She used to volunteer here.” Mrs. R said nonchalantly. “It was the summer after she graduated high school. She was a really big help and we both grew quite close to her, not that it’s any of your business.” My eyes widened at her defensiveness. Leena’s expression echoed mines. Mrs. R. merely looked at me and gave me a firm nod.

“Yea it was a couple of years ago. It’s been a while.” I added, swallowing back my nausea. An awkward silence settled upon all of us but not for long. Mrs. R saved me because it felt like my sanity was slipping away with every passing moment.

“Okay enough of this it’s time to get back to work.” Mrs. R waved off the weirdness in the air. “Do you still remember the daily schedules and routines?” I nodded. “Well I’ll go over them anyway just to make sure.” And then she was off. Her words raced out in one free flowing line. They trailed one after the other, following the leader. She informed me about meal times and medicine times. The cardinal rules were laid out for me so I could easily understand. I could tell she had done this so many times that it was essentially encrypted into her mind. Thankfully, I knew most of the information so it would not be hard to get into routine.

“Alright, that’s all of it.” Mrs. R breathed deeply. I was sure she was not breathing the whole time she was talking. “Leena is going to give you a tour around the place. Some things have changed around here since you have left, so I want you to be aware of it all.” Leena and I had the same expression again. Both surprised but mine’s was laced with disgust. I hated her already, but I followed her nonetheless.

I paced myself behind her. Her glossy long black hair swayed back and forth as she walked me around the layout. She told me that they had been reduced to one level in the building do to cut backs in budget, but they have some new investors so everything is subject to change now. We walked through a hallway which Leena said is the women’s hallway. She also introduced me to some of the other workers. Then she showed me the lounge and then the men’s hallway. We stopped and she turned to face me, looking at me for the first time since the start of the tour. She clasped her hands together and gave me a disturbing smile.

“This is where you’ll be working.” Leena said, very much pleased with herself. My eyes widened in horror. Her smile widened. I, unfortunately, had given her the reaction she wanted.

“Um, this is the men’s part. I’m a girl.” I said trying to level my tone, though a little attitude escaped me. Everything within me wanted to attack her but I kept myself under control.

“Yeah, but we are short male workers so we needed to fill the spot. But if you’re too scared, then I could tell Mrs. Robinson, and she can switch us.” She slurred her words, emphasizing all the ‘s’ sounds. I could not further satisfy her. I was not sure what she wanted from all this but she sure was not getting it from me. I gave her a mocking smile. Male crazies? It was a stretch but I could do it. I could do a way better job than anyone in this place.

“No, no it’s fine. Mrs. Robinson obviously gave me this position because she thinks I’m capable of doing the job. I trust her judgment.” I sealed my words with a tight nod. The grin fell off her face amd shattered on the ground in front of us. And I couldn’t hide the pleasure I felt to see it succumb. With a huff, Leena gave me some files that she had been carrying around and walked away without another word.

I quickly counted the files in my hand. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. This should be an easy job. I just had to do my general duties and act kind, loving, and gentle these guys. Then it will be smooth sailing. Easy as pie. I opened each one and began to skim read through the pile.

Luke Foster: Male. 23 years old. Friendly and loves conversation. Diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Panic Disorder in 2011. Has several personal routines and precautions. Suffers from mild panic attacks when deviated from known schedules and procedures. Independent, does not need assistance with personal hygiene. Tried to commit suicide Fall 2012.
Watch out and report any signs of suicidal or self-harming actions. Admitted 8 months ago.

Thomas Johnson: Male. 21 years old. Mischievous and Playful. Keep a close eye on him. Dislikes anything serious or structured. Diagnosed with ADHD in 2008. Being evaluated for Bipolar Disorder. Suffers from strong episodes of mania. Independent, does not need assistance with personal hygiene. Has been sober for 4 months. Arrested for public intoxication and vandalism, January 2013. Carefully watch patient when taking medicine. Make sure it is all taken. Admitted for 4 months ago.

There was a police report also inside. I scanned over it quickly, but soon moved to the next file.

Rajah Jolez: Male. 22 years old. Quiet and Ill-tempered. Does not like intrusion of privacy. Very distant and does not readily trust others. Has regular scheduled times for smoking. Cigarettes and lighter are kept at the nurse’s station. Diagnosed with Intermittent Explosive Disorder in 2010. Has a short temper and will become violent quickly. Independent, does not need assistance with personal hygiene. Arrested for assault, February 2013. Use caution when entering and leaving room. Violent episodes are unpredictable. Long stays are not recommended. Admitted 3 months ago.

Nathan Score: Male. 20 years old. Shy, but Kind. Creates attachments very quickly. Has sudden waves of despair and doubt. Unpredictable bouts of crying. Diagnosed with Bulimia Nervosa Disorder and Depression. Has many self-image issues. Strong family support. Must be carefully watched while eating and hours after eating. Independent, does not need assistance with personal hygiene. Please immediately inform Head Nurse if patient shows any indications of suicidal thoughts or actions. Patient will need much attention. Admitted 6 months ago.

Maxwell Flynnegan: Male. 21 years old. Handle patient with much care. Does not interact with patients or staff at all. Was found in a vandalized store, late at night, crying and disoriented. At first, believed to be an Amnesiac because patient initially would not tell us his name. Family informed us about some past actions of the patient: Being evaluated for Antisocial Disorder. Believed by many to be a Sociopath. Independent, does not need assistance with personal hygiene. Patient is new so there is not much information yet. Admitted 3 weeks ago.

There was a newspaper article attached to his file. I looked at it carefully. It read:

FLYNNEGAN BOY SUSPECTTED OF MURDER
March 21, 2008


Maxwell Flynnegan ,16, the son of the wealthiest family in town, was arrested in connection with the sudden death of his nanny, Rose Seawood. Seawood tragically fell down the stairs of the family mansion and suffered fatal wounds. She died shortly after being rushed to the hospital.

Flynnegan and Seawood’s daughter, Jennifer, were the only people in the mansion when the accident occurred. However, Jennifer was taking a shower, when it all happened. She rushed out of the bathroom to find a screaming Flynnegan, cradling her mother’s body. According to a source, mild bruising was found on Seawood’s forearms, indicating the possibility of some foul play.

Flynnegan’s parents are standing up for their son and have hired the best lawyers around. “We are going to fight this.” Audrey Flynnegan told us as she and her husband rushed pass us into the police station. Flynnegan has had a few brushes with the law in the past but his parents have always managed to get him acquitted with no more than a “slap on the wrist.” No one will be surprised if the same happens here. Aside from the bruises, the police do not have much to go on.


My jaw unhinged and nearly fell off. What the hell is wrong with these people?! They expect me to look after a fucking MURDERER?!
♠ ♠ ♠
Yikes!!!! Murderer??? Isn't that crazy? I'm having lot of fun writing this. Hope you're enjoying it :)