A Hidden Secret

Chapter 4

My head feels groggy and my heads pounding or maybe that wasn’t my head. Looking up I see a man fixing my door “Good morning miss” he says bowing his head half way “Morning” Standing I walk toward him, placing my hand on the door “Here let me help” I sturdy the door so he can get it into place “There no need for that misses” he stopped working trying to shoo me away “I want to help, so just fix the door” he give me a thankful look and fixes the door. “There” he declares once he screwed the last screw in. “Thank-you for helping” he starts to turn away, “Wait what’s your name?” smiling he looks back “John” with that he leaves. Today I was in a good mood, dressing in a light purple dress that is just above my knees. When I walk down the hallway I have a sort of bounce to my walk, stopping at the bay window. I look at the land, the mansion I was in, had lots of land. It looked like there wasn’t civilization anywhere near for miles.

“Good morning” I hear Hayden’s deep voice, turning I have a slight frown “Morning” I was still mad at him, who wouldn’t be? He seems to ignore my tone “I would like to talk to you in my study?” it came out as a question, crossing my arms “No.” his eyebrows shoot up “No?” shaking my head I answer “No” he thinks for a moment “You come willingly or I can repeat last night” the look on his faced told me he wouldn’t mind doing the second choice “Fine” I grumble. Smiling he turns and leads me to which must be his study, it had a couch against the walls that were painted a light gray, his desk was shining and made out of Oak wood. He had one chair it was black leather, the room didn’t have much lighting and no windows. He seats himself in the leather chair “Sit” he says, I slowly sit on the edge of the couch, ready to dart for the door. “What do you want?” I was curious now, but my voice said something else “Well, I thought you would like to know what I did for your family?” he was trying to bait me, I took it “What?” this time my voice was urgent “I made it look like you were dead” my heart dropped, he brought me here to tell me my family thought I was dead. Tear still didn’t surface “I hate you.” My voice is a hoarse whisper, standing to leave “I didn’t dismiss you.” His voice holds an edge, ignoring him I walk to the door. With a blink he in front of me “Move.” I refuse to look at him “I did not dismiss you.” He says again, not look over “you are not my father, you may not command me around, I will not listen to you” my voice doesn’t raise once “If I were your father, I’d put you over my knee and whip you like you never been whipped” he chuckles at the beginning and ends with a harsh tone “I’d like to see you try” I jump back when, I see him move. Without out warning were on the couch and he holding me over his knee “Would you really?” he says chuckling, struggling I try and bite him. Warm breath carcass my neck “If you bite me, I’ll bite back” freezing, I can feel his face inches from my neck. “Let me go” he complies letting me go, darting I run out the door. I hear chuckling but, soon am at the kitchen. I can’t believe he did that to me! “What’s wrong misses?” Looking up, Arianna staring at me with concern, “He’s crazy! He’s a freakin lunatic!” I yell, sitting down at where it appears the slaves eat. “Oh dear, he not usually so, frightening” she pats my hand for reassurance “Since I’ve been here he hasn’t been anything else” well there’s no reason to mope around all day “Do you have a job I can do” she shakes her head frantically “You’re not a servant! You do not have to work.” So I’m not going to be a servant, why do I have to be here? “Well it’s my choice and I would like to do something.” I know she’ll listen “Alright misses, you can dust the library.” Library! I wonder what kind of books he has. I was thinking about what books he might have when we reached the room, my mouth dropped “Wow” I say breathlessly, there were a ton of books, bigger than a library. “Here you are” Arianna shoves rags and a cleaning solution in my hand; she leaves me alone in the big room. I said I was going to clean, so I will. I get straight to work trying to avoid looking at the books.