Warmness on the Soul

Flashback

The next morning I awoke to small hands on my cheeks. I opened my eyes and looked into the wide Hazel ones staring back at me. I smiled.

“G'morning, momma. Can I have breaftast now?” she asked quietly. I nodded and she leaped off the bed, running to the kitchen. I shook my head and followed, taking my time.

Skylar was busy pulling out the box of pancake mix and syrup when I got there, so began to set up the skillet. As I cooked breakfast, my little beauty busied herself with coloring as she listened to one of the many mix CD's Alex made for her.

“Sky, come set the table.” I called, sliding the pancakes onto a serving platter and placing them in the center of the table. I added whipped topping and syrup to the table and sat down across from my daughter, who was already serving herself and adding a small amount of topping and syrup. My girl was smart. She knew not to put too much sweet stuff on her food.

For a few minutes, we sat in silence, just listening to her mix. Sky was bobbing and enjoying her meal. I was content in the silence until the next song began. A song that I was not aware was on Skylar's mix.

“Your hazel-green tint eyes watching every move I make.
And that feeling of doubt, it's erased.
I'll never feel alone again with you by my side.
You're the one, and in you I confide.”

Breathe hitching in my throat, I dropped my fork. Sky looked up in surprise.

“Momma, are you ok?” she asked. I nodded, standing up slowly. I walked to the living room and sat down, listening to the soft lyrics of the song. It brought back so many memories, but one in particular stood out the most....

5 years ago

I woke with a start when I heard something hit my window. I got out of bed and stumbled across the room, looking out the window. My boyfriend stood on the ground below, a handful of pebbles in his hand and a dimpled smile on his face. Upon seeing me, he dropped the pebbles and motioned for me to come down.

With a grin, I quietly made my way through my room and got dressed. I tiptoed down past my parents room, down the stairs and out the front door. The second I hit the porch, I ran to Matt, jumping into his open arms and giving him a big kiss. The first in the past month.

“Hey baby. I missed you.” Matt said, hugging me tight.

“I missed you too, Mattie.”

Without another word, he put me down and grabbed my hand, leading me through the trees behind my house. Leading me to our quiet little spot.

Once we reached our destination, we settled in on the blanket laid out on the ground. We snuggled into each others arms and just lay there together, enjoying the company.
It must have been 20 minutes before Matt broke the silence.

“Bells, I have a surprise for you.” He said softly, moving to sit up next to me. I sat up and looked at him with wonder. “I wrote you a song.”

“Matt! Your kidding!” I said in shock. He shook his head.

“Wanna hear it?” I nodded and Matt cleared his throat a little before he began;

Your hazel green tint eyes watching every move I make.
And that feeling of doubt, it's erased.
I'll never feel alone again with you by my side.
You're the one, and in you I confide.

And we have gone through good and bad times.
But your unconditional love was always on my mind.
You've been there from the start for me.
And your love's always been true as can be.
I give my heart to you.
I give my heart, cause nothing can compare in this world to you.

And we have gone through good and bad times.
But your unconditional love was always on my mind.
You've been there from the start for me.
And your love's always been true as can be.
I give my heart to you.
I give my heart, cause nothing can compare in this world to you.

I give my heart to you.
I give my heart, cause nothing can compare in this world to you.


“Matt..” I whispered, wiping the tears that started to fall. He pulled me into his arms. “That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me, Mattie. I love you.”

“I love you too, Isabella. Always and forever.”


Present

That was just before I found out I was pregnant. Just before I ran away. It was the last time I had Matt all to myself. Any other time I saw him, we were with the guys or our parents.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would love to hear what you think of the story! :)