Warmness on the Soul

Oregon

My mom met me at the bottom of the staircase. She wrapped her arms around me in a hug.

“I missed you momma.” I mumbled. She sniffed a bit and pulled away. My dad and Alex came in and placed the bags in the entry way and Ari followed behind them, coming to join in our hug. The three of us stood there holding each other for a few moments, comforting each other. I stepped back and took a look at both my parents. I decided to ask the question that had been on my mind all night.

“How did it happen, daddy?” I asked quietly. He took a seat at the dining table and sighed.

“They say they were ambushed.” He replied. “One of the soldiers said his Humvee was pulling up the rear and they got hit.”

I put my face in my hands and sniffed, trying to hold the tears back.

“I'm going to go finish cooking.” my mother mumbled. Alex took hold of Ari as she began to cry again.

“Why did this have to happen to Ricky, of all people?” I questioned. “I just don't understand why such a good guy had to be taken from us.” dad came and wrapped his arms around me again as tears rolled down my face.

“Shh..it will be okay.” he reassured. I pulled back slightly.

“Dad, who's playing at the luncheon?” I asked him.

He looked away, avoiding my gaze.

“Collin Rian O'Keeffe, answer me.” I demanded. He looked upset when he turned back to me.

“Isabella, you shouldn't even have to ask! Matthew volunteered the second he heard what happened. Despite you breaking his heart, he still cares about this family, you know.” he replied. I was pissed.

“You should have told him no! I'm not ready to see them dad!”

“Dammit Isabella Marie! He needs to know, for gods sake!” my mother yelled, appearing from the kitchen. “You left that boy with no explanation! He was in love with you! Were you planning on keeping him from his little girl forever, Bella?”

“Of course not momma.” I replied quietly. “What if he denies her?”

My mother came and hugged me once again and I cried on her shoulder.

“Momma? Why was everyone yelling?” a small voice asked from the steps. We all turned and looked at Skylar, who looked scared and confused. I went to her and knelt down.

“We were just playing, sweetie. It's okay. Go say hi to Gramma and Grampa.” I suggested. She smiled and ran to dad.

“Papa! I misseded you!” she squealed. “Why you didn't come back to see me?”

“Oh, honey, Papa's been busy at work. But you're here now, so It's all about you.” He told her.

“Are you hungry, Sky?” mom asked. She nodded enthusiastically. With that confirmation, Ari set the dinner table and we all had a seat. I helped my mom put food on the table and dad said grace.

The table was full of idle chatter. I just sat, pushing my food around my plate gnawing on the inside of my cheek. I thought back to the day I told my parents I was pregnant. It was also the day I had planned to tell Matt, but instead found out they got signed...

Flashback

I chewed on my lip as I made my way down the street to Matt's house. I decided that he needed to know about the baby. As I neared his house, I heard a commotion before I saw Jimmy run out with a huge smile on his face.

“Izzy! Oh my god, Iz! We got signed!” he yelled, picking me up and spinning me. The other boys ran out, joining us and creating a big group hug.

“You guys! I'm so happy for you!” I told them. Inside, I was breaking. Jimmy put me down and I turned to Matt. I wrapped my arms around him and looked at his face. All I saw was pure happiness.”Congratulations, Mattie.” I whispered, forcing a smile.

Matt grinned and kissed me. I realized that I couldn't tell him. Not now. I will not be the reason he abandons his dreams.

“I..uh..I have to go back home. I forget to tell mom something. I'll see you guys later, okay?” I told him, kissing him. He nodded and smiled.

“Meet me back here later? I want to go to dinner, to celebrate.” He kissed my cheek and joined the boys.

I hid my tears until I was almost home. I walked through the front door, my mom was standing in the doorway of he kitchen and ran to me when she saw my tears.

“Isabella, whats wrong?” She asked.

“Where's dad?”

“Collin! Come in here!” she called. My dad entered the room and I had them take a seat at the table.

“Momma...daddy...I'm pregnant.” I confessed.

The look on my fathers face was one of pure shock, while tears began to stream down my mothers face.

"I want to go to Oregon to live with Ricky.”

All I got in reply was my mother throwing her arms around me and a nod from my father[i/]

End Flashback