A Princesses Life

Chapter 3

I’ve been here for one week, when they decided I could be left out without someone bruising my arm. “Avryl come here” one of the bandits yells, I notice him to be john. “Yes” I answer when I come up to him; he was sitting around with 6 others, playing poker. “You like me right?” he raise an eyebrow, I could smell the aroma coming off all of them “Of course” I smile, he was harmless when you got to know him “Good” he smiles, I didn’t understand why I had to walk over here.
Shrugging I just walk over to a fire that was slowly dying out as the sun was reaching its highest spot “Would you like to take a walk?” surprised I look up, Cole was standing above me holding clothes in his hand “Why do you have those?” I ask “I thought you like to bathe and change clothes” staring I nod slowly, getting up to my feet. We walk in silence toward a lake. The lake is crystal clear and it's almost like I can see the bottom “Well you can bathe here” Cole says sitting on a rock nearby, blushing “you can’t stay there, it’s unacceptable” I whisper the words, my face was red. Chuckling he says “I’ll turn around” he turns toward where we walked from, standing I just stare at his back looking down at my gown it’s covered in filth and my hair feels slimy.
After undressing I take a step into the cold water, it was calm and cold. Shivering as I cover myself in the water, underneath it’s as clear as it looked, I could see the sun glisten from the top of the water. My lungs squeeze from the lack of oxygen, I breathe in the warm air. Slightly looking over at Cole I see he’s still in his spot on the rock–I could get dressed and run- nodding I like my thought. I liked the bandits but I would still like to leave. Getting out, I slip on a pair of trousers and a shirt. They felt different I’ve never had to wear trousers; my legs had much more room to run which was good for me. Slowly creeping away before Cole could notice, I turn and take off like my life depends on it. “Avryl” I heard Cole yell. My whole being was set on running though, I didn’t trip this time. Almost immediately I heard heavy footstep behind me, holding in a scream of rage that I would be caught again. I dive into a nearby bush, Cole runs right past me. Waiting for five minutes I slowly get out of the bush looking around he didn’t notice I let out a scream when I’m knocked to the floor. Looking up I scream again, Cole had found me “You really should stop making this a habit” he chuckles, as he lays on me once more “Get off” I grumble not bother to struggle “Mmm- No” I look up in disbelief. “Now princess tell me why do you act so mean?” Cole raises an eyebrow, I was shocked. I was kidnapped, now being held captive and mocked constantly; they want me to be nice. “Are you serious?” I ask, he doesn’t look fazed “Yes?” keeping my temper cool I say “Being mocked and held captive usually doesn’t bring the nice out in a girl” he notice my voice and brings his face closer to mine “Well what does please the princesses?” He whisperers “For you to get off of me” I whisper back, rolling his eyes he stands up pulling me with him.
“You should be going home soon” he says as were walking back toward the bandit camp “What makes you sure he’ll pay?” he just looks down at me as if I’m crazy “You’re his only child” I nod, I understand that “Yes but he only keeps me around for that reason, if he had a son I would be long gone” waving my hand around “I would be living like this” tears don’t surface, I have lived with my father neglect for too long and cried far too many tears. “I’m sure your father loves you” he says stiffly “I’ve watched you guys in public, you always smile and laugh with him” I roll my eyes “I’m not about to tell the world what my father truly is, I do love him, but I’m not truly happy there” my voice drops to a whisper at the last part. What I am doing, I’ve never told my secret to anyone but, Emory. Now I’m telling this man I barely know. We had gone silent and when we reached the camp, Cole left me with the other and headed for his father’s tent.

Her mind flashes back to when she was young.
“You can die! You never gave me anything in return, a girl you gave me a girl! Who will rule my country now!” my little five year body trembles, my father hated me and wanted mommy to die. The tears ran down my face “She is puny like you, she will be worth nothing” my father’s voice echoes through the castle walls “Don’t talk about her like that, and you love her.” I could hear as I crept closer to their bedroom door “I cannot love something, worth nothing” Running into the room I yell “Don’t talk to my momma like that!” I had climbed on the bed with her blocking her with my small body “Get out!” my father shouted at me “No!” I yelled back, clasping my hand around my mouth as the words slipped out. My mother softly spoke “Avryl its okay, please go” tears hung to my eyelashes; slowly I nodded and ran out. I’ll show father that I’m as good as anyone else; I had stuck with that thought for the rest of my life.

“Avryl” my mind is ripped from the past standing in front of me is Hank. Shoving my memories in the back of my mind, “Yes?” I ask “Come with me” standing I follow him into the woods, where Cole is waiting “Cole told me that your father may not pay” I nod “He might, to make sure the kingdom still loves him” the words taste like poison “So am I really going to be killed?” I can’t help ask “No” Cole says darkly “No, you’ll be returned if he doesn’t” Hank waits for my reaction “Okay” my voice is distant I had, had more fun here than I’ve ever had, sure I ran but, it was fun. “You are given permission to do what you want, but Avryl don’t try and run away again” I blush Cole had told him “Well did you expect me to just be okay with being held captive” he shrugs walking away, leaving me with Cole. “Let’s go” Cole takes my hand, gasping at the shock that went up my arm. I had never held a man’s hand; it felt like lightning had shot up my arm. Slowly I followed him back focusing on our hands entwined, “You get to cook” Cole said letting my hand go, leaving me at the cooks headquarter.