A Princesses Life

Chapter 8

“Run!” I scream and slam my body into Cole’s, we tumble down the hill. Rolling, I hit rock after rock, I notice the deer take off. Finally we reach the end of the hill, we lay there disoriented.

Cole the first to recover “Why the Hell did you do that!” he says angrily looking down at me like I was a mental case.

“They were a family and you were going to kill one of them.” I say groggily sitting up, I try and stop my dizzy head.

“We have to eat, and you just scared ever animal in the forest!” Cole yells at me.

“You wouldn’t like if a panther killed your father right?” I snap.

He looks stunned and then says “Wha-” I hold my hand up to silence him.

“The panther has to eat. One way or another a family is losing someone they love.” I hold my head high, normally a peasant would stop talking after this but, I must have forgotten, I’m kidnapped by bandits.

“They’re animals, they don’t know what love is!” Cole yells standing up, I stand with him.

“You're not in their head! If you loved something maybe you’d understand!” I was yelling.

All the sudden, I’m pinned to Coles chest and his lips are on mine, balling my hands into fists on his shirt. I kiss back, I’ve been kissed before but, never like this. I jerk back, my breathing labored and my eyes wide. “We shouldn’t do that.” I say softly, he grunts in response.

Once his back is to me, I touch my lips softly. I feel as if I’ve been shocked, “Come on.” Cole says gruffly. I follow him, when we reach camp he leaves me slipping into his own tent. Sighing I go to the women’s tent, “Princess is back!” One of the women yells, as I enter the tent. I ignore them and lay down on an empty cot, thinking back to the kiss. It was only brief but, it made me want more. “Princess have you been being naughty?” I hear a teasing voice.

Shooting up in my bed I stutter “N-no.” I can see most of the women’s faces and their all smirking.

“Girl we know when someone been doing something” A blonde haired woman says. She was tall, slim, and had the brightest green eyes.

“He kissed me, that’s all” I mumble embarrassed, they chuckle lightly.

“Don’t sound so ashamed dear, and who is this he?” The blonde haired ask, she seems to be the ring leader.

“It's just y-you-“ I stop for a minute how am I supposed to say this without them hating me, “His names cole.” I say quietly, deciding not to anger them.

“I know how you feel about us , darling, but this is how we make a living. Some of us have to feed our family but, we can’t find another job.” Instead of being angry she speaks kindly and everyone else nods too.

“What’s your name?” I ask

“Kim”

Nodding I say “Goodnight” and roll over and try and fall to sleep.

Hours later, I turn in my bed for the hundredth time. Sighing I sit up and everyone else is sleeping, rubbing my eyes, I let my eyes adjust to the darkness. Silently getting up I maneuver my way around all the women and slip out the door. I’m hit with a burst of cold air, in my tent it’s much warmer than out here. Running comes to mind but, what's the point? I’d be captured again. Walking by the fire embers that had died out long, I see some men sprawled across the ground in the open. Shaking my head I wander around a bit more, until I run into Drake. “Princess what a lovely surprise to see you up at such an hour?” I can make out the outline of his face.

“What are you doing up?” I ask suspiciously.

Raising an eyebrow he smirks “I could ask you the same thing.” Chuckling lightly he says “Since I’m a nice guy I’ll tell you, I can’t sleep.” I feel as if he’s lying but, why would he?

“Me either” I say, staring at his face. I wish Cole was awake, he was much nicer.

“Will you take a walk with me?” Drake asks, he seems nice but, what about earlier? I decide it won’t hurt too.

“Yes” I take the hand he offers and walk with him into the forest.

“What will you do?” His question startles me.

“What?” I ask gaining my composure.

“You're to be trained to kill, what will you do?”

Thinking for a moment, I nod even in the darkness “I will learn, I may not kill anyone but I believe that the skill will be needed when I go to overturn my father.” These words sounded so foreign to me, I was a princess not a killer. But these skills were necessary there would be no other choice.

At that moment Drakes hold tightens on me, and his hand clamps down on my mouth before I can scream “You see princess, I don’t really like you but, you will be a good asset to my gang” His cold breath chills the back of my neck, doing the only thing rational I clamp down on his hand “owe you little-” before he could say anything I had kicked upward and hit his stomach, but barely.

Turning I start to run but, I hear shouting and soon I realize I am surrounded. Standing straight “What are you doing?” I demand.

“Why princess we cannot have you spoil the fun, you’ll find out when we get there” Just like that the world is black.