Status: Work in Progress

Straight Through My Heart

001

Northern New Jersey

Pain. That's all Gerard noticed radiating throughout his being starting in his back. He tasted blood before seeing it. He knew at least two ribs were cracked, and he had a feeling his shoulder was dislocated. The captain of the football team, Jimmy, spat on him once before kicking him one last time in the side and walking away.

Gerard lay still for many minutes before attempting to move. He gasped in pain as he sat up and leaned against the lockers. Wiping his mouth, he drew his hand away and saw the blood smeared on his hand. Before he could mutter anything, there was a gentle yet firm grip on his good shoulder. Looking up, he saw the familiar features of his brother's face. "Mikey," he said, so relieved to see the face he loved.

"Jimmy again?" he asked, helping Gerard to his feet. Once Gerard felt as if he had good footing, he nodded as he and his little brother made their way out of the school. "You really need to consider transferring," Mikey went on, staying close enough to Gerard that he could catch him if he fell.

"And give that rat bastard the satisfaction that he won? After all the years of putting me down and fucking me over?" Gerard spat, quickly realizing the harshness of his tone. "I'm sorry, Mikes. I don't mean to take it out on you. Sometimes I forget."

"Understandable. I'm here to listen, though, and that's all that matters," Mikey said, smiling warmly at his older brother.

"That's all I ask," Gerard said, lightly nudging Mikey.

"Now, come on. Let's get you home and cleaned up."

In Southern New Jersey

Alley, back street, main street, another alley. That's everything Frank was currently seeing at the moment. With half of the basketball team hot on his heels, Frank was doing everything he could to try and confuse them, get them away.

He knew it was stupid, seeing how they had to know various paths to take on the court to get a basket. Coming to the end of an alley, he jumped the chain link fence, ignoring the pain the barbed wires caused on his thigh and bicep. Once his feet made contact with the concrete on the other side, he quickly started running.

Emerging on a crowded street, he quickly weaved his way in and out of various crowds of people before slowing his pace down. His lungs were bursting, still not used to the constant running every day. He seriously needed to quit smoking. That or transfer schools.

Sliding into the old coffee shop, he made his way to the kitchen. "You're fifteen minutes late," Howard said, throwing Frank an apron. Howard knew Frank would only be late if he were being hunted down by Chris and his minions, so he never complained. He just liked pointing it out. "The rush will be starting soon, so straighten up as much as you can out there before hand."

Nodding, Frank grabbed the dish cart and dampened a rag, heading out into the main area of the building. Losing himself in his thoughts, Frank wished he had someone that would have his back, no matter what.