Status: Work in Progress

Straight Through My Heart

010

I awoke with a start the next morning to a light tapping on the door. "Frankie?" came a woman's voice through the door. Panicking, I jumped up and immediately started looking for a place to hide. Frank woke up then, watching me with a tired and confused look. "Are you awake?" The door opened and his mom walked in, looking at me with a shocked expression. "I'm sorry. Who are you?"

"Mom, this is Gerard Way. He spent the night last night. It was a last minute thing," Frank said, as if it were normal that he had friends over. I stood there, feeling out of place, my arms crossed over my chest. "Gerard, if you're that uncomfortable, put your shirt on." I felt my cheeks warm up a bit before grabbing my shirt off the single chair in the room and putting it on.

"Frank, I need to speak with you alone for a bit. If that's okay?" his mom said, looking between the two of us.

"I have to get home anyway. My mother and brother are probably going to be sending out every squad under the sun if they don't hear from me soon," I said, throwing my jacket on. "I'll see you at school, Frank," I said, waving at him. "It was nice to meet you, ma'am," I went on, looking at his mother and smiling warmly.

Walking out of the room, I started for the stairs, only to pause when I heard his mother ask -- it what seemed to be a curious way -- if I were his boyfriend. In a low whisper, I said, "I'm working on it, lady." I sped down the stairs and out the front door, taking in a deep breath of fresh air, and realizing I wanted a cigarette. Feeling for my pack, I noticed it was missing and that I remembered throwing it on the nightstand. Before I could start to go back inside, the second floor window that was Frank's opened up and he appeared.

"Think you forgot something, Gee," he said, tossing out a rectangular box. Nearly catching it, but missing, I noticed it was my cigarettes. "Stop being forgetful," he said, winking before ducking back in and closing the window. Smiling to myself, I pulled out a cigarette and lit up, starting for my way home.

Time Elapse

Walking in the front door, Mom came rushing in covered in flour. I let out a giggle before walking over to her. "Where have you been, Gerard Arthur? No call, no text. You could have been dead."

"I meant to send a text to Mikey last night, but I was far too tired to think straight. I had spent the night with Frank. He was having some issues and I felt he needed a shoulder," I said, walking over to my mother and hugging her. "I'm sorry, Mom. I really am." I looked up at her and smiled warmly, causing her to smile back.

"Next time, whether you're tired or not, let someone know," she said, brushing my hair from my eyes. "Now, go get a shower. School starts in an hour." Going puffer fish on her, she gave me her infamous Do it or else look and I de-puffed.

"Yes, ma'am," I said, unhooking myself from her and running for the stairs. Mikey was coming down as I was heading up. He gave me a smile, patted my shoulder, and went on down. Staring at his back for a moment, I wondered if he was alright. Leaving that thought for another moment in time, I continued up the stairs and towards the shower.

Time Elapse

Mikey, Frank, and I were currently discussing art projects as Mom drove us to school. We were considering doing a combined piece, seeing how our styles seemed to help bring out the details of the others. Mom had just pulled up to the curb when a light drizzle started coming down. I swung open the door and went to the sidewalk, spinning around and grinning. "Yes!" I said, standing there and looking at Frank and Mikey.

"You like rain?" Frank asked, sounding amused. I nodded and grinned, walking over to him and pulling him into my arms. "What are you doing?"

"What? I can't hold you in a loving manner in the rain in front of thousands of people?" I asked, causing him to laugh, really laugh, before he wrapped his arms around my neck. I picked him up and swung him around for a moment before gently setting him down. He pulled back a bit and looked up at me, his smile never leaving.

"You're truly something else, Gerard," he said, unwinding himself from my embrace. I cursed myself and cursed Frank. That was the perfect moment, and it was shattered. "But two can play at that game!" he went on before facing me and shrugging, then spinning on his heel and running off towards the building.

It was then that the rain picked up and I laughed, grabbing Mikey's hand and pulling him along with me. I grabbed my bag from his hand and swung it over my shoulder before grabbing Frank's as well. "I'll see you at the meeting?" I asked, letting go of Mikey's hand and shaking my head, causing the water in my hair to spray out. Nodding, Mikey and I parted ways, and I started searching for Frank.

Turning the corner, I saw a few people huddled around him, saying things I just couldn't make out. "What's going on?" I asked walking over to them and causing the three people around him to look at me. None of them said anything, but instead just walked off. Staring after them, I knelt down beside Frank and touched his hand gingerly. "Let's go," I went on, causing him to nod and stand up.

"They're everywhere, Gerard," Frank said, just over a whisper. I could hear the panic in voice, and I wrapped my arm around his shoulders, pulling him close.

"I know, Frankie. I know," I said, trying to send comforting waves to Frank. "I'm here for you. Don't you forget that. I won't let anything happen to you."