Status: Work in Progress

Straight Through My Heart

012

I awoke some hours later, Frankie still working fervently on keeping my temperature down. "You look exhausted," I said, my voice sounding horrible. Frank stopped dabbing my forehead long enough to hand me a glass of water and a couple of Ibuprofen. Downing the pills, and gulping the water, I never took my gaze off of the boy before me. "Please, get some rest," I said, my throat a bit scratchy.

"I can't. My mind won't let me," Frank said, meeting my gaze as he pressed the damp rag to my forehead again. I glanced behind him and noticed the thermometer on the coffee table. Realizing where I was looking, Frankie reached behind him and grabbed it, handing it to me. "I would have taken it, but I didn't want to awake you," he said, giving me a somewhat shy smile.

"Probably wouldn't have been too accurate anyway," I said, turning it on and sticking in my mouth. Laying back a bit, I looked up and saw Mikey stroll in with a bag of Redvines in his hand. Rolling my eyes, I looked up at the ceiling until the thermometer beeped. Grabbing it from my mouth before I could even blink, Frankie looked at it and almost drowned in the relief that washed over him.

"The meds couldn't have worked that fast," I said, taking it from him. It said my temp was 99.7. "What was it to begin with?" I asked, turning the stick off and looking at the small boy next to me. He looked up at me and his eyes seemed to sparkle a bit.

"Roughly 103," he replied, getting to his knees and closing what very little distance was between us. He was above me just enough that his face was barely seen in the shadows that covered it. "You had us all worried, Gerard. I was so freaked out that I couldn't even think of falling asleep. It was sheer luck that constant cold rags and," he looked at the clock above my head, "thirteen hours of solid sleep worked out whatever had caused you to get sick."

Before I could respond to anything, Frankie bent down and, ever-so-lightly, pressed his lips to mine. I barely felt his lip ring, but I didn't really care. My hand lifted up and grasped the back of his neck as I barely put more insistence into the kiss.

"I will not be having you two going at it like monkeys in this house," Mom said, causing the two of us to break apart and blush. "Well, at least not here on my couch." She winked at us both before setting down my drawing supplies. "Found these on the back porch. Thought you'd want them inside instead of lost somewhere out in the wild."

"I knew I forgot about something," I said, almost absent-minded. "Didn't think it was something so damn important." Sitting up, I stretched and felt a few joints pop. Grabbing my supplies and getting comfortable in the corner of the couch, I started drawing, not knowing what would be the finished piece.

Time Elapse

Dinner time came around and the four of us were throwing jokes at one another. Mom was surprisingly accepting about the whole kissing thing, and I was extremely happy about that. I mean, I know my mom was a proud supporter and all, but it's still such a relief knowing that your own parent accepts you no matter who you become.

That's when I realized I was rather scared for Frankie. I mean, I know his mom had asked him if he and I were together, but that didn't mean that she supported it. I was hoping so much that she was okay with it all, and that nothing and no one would hurt Frank. Aside from my grandmother, my mother, and my baby brother, he was all I had.

I barely saw Grandmother as it was, Mom was barely around enough to really do anything with, and I can barely stand the constant presence of Mikey. Something about Frank was rather comforting, and he always seemed to ease my stress levels a bit. He was becoming that rock I never knew I was missing.

I glanced over at him, and his smile radiated from somewhere deep within him. His hazel eyes shined, his laugh was genuine, and he seemed so relaxed and carefree. As I watched him and ate my dinner, a little bug named Worry was working its web into my brain, making me wonder how long this carefree and happy Frankie would last, and if I'd ever see it again after today.