Status: Work in Progress

Straight Through My Heart

003

The last week or so, Chris and his goons have left me alone. The scrapes I got from the barbed wire were pretty much healed, and so everything was back to a semi-normal state. Currently studying in the library four blocks from my house, I didn't realize it was closing time until the librarian, Ms. Abernathy, cleared her throat. Looking up, I met her gaze.

"Closing time, Mr. Iero," she said sweetly, sounding exhausted. I nodded and quickly packed up my things, placing the books in a neat stack.

"Is there any chance I could have you hang on to these for me? I'll stop by tomorrow morning before school," I said, looking at her hopefully.

Smiling warmly, she nodded. "Sure thing, Frankie," she said, taking the books from me. "Just remember by 9:00 AM, they're going back on the shelves." Nodding, I grabbed my bag and books, smiling and waving goodbye as I jogged out of the building. It had gotten chilly, and it was the first day of fall. Taking a deep breath of crisp, autumn air and smiled.

Adjusting everything so I could get a cigarette, I stuck one in my mouth and felt around for my lighter. I realized I must have left it in the library and had turned to go back in when Ms. Abernathy walked out, locking the door behind her. "I believe this is yours," she said, tossing something thin and long at me. Catching it, I saw it was my lighter and lit up immediately.

"Thank you," I said, shoving my lighter in my pocket. "You want one?" I asked her, knowing she was a smoker. She declined, stating that she is trying to quit. Nodding, I said goodbye for the second time.

"You want a ride?" she asked, causing me to look at her for a moment. We both looked up when we heard the raucous laughter of Chris and a few friends who weren't on the team. Knowing they'd come after me, I accepted. Last thing I needed was to be jumped when I was just healed.

Time Elapse

Currently practicing some riffs, I heard the front door open and immediately slam shut. Mom's home, I thought, placing my guitar back in its case and sliding in back under my bed. It was the only thing I was able to call my own anymore, and I'd be damned in my mother took it from me and sold it to buy drugs and booze.

"Where are you, you piece of shit?" she yelled, sounding far more drunk than usual. She only ever tried to come after me if she didn't trip over something and land on the floor. She rarely ever made it up the second half of the stairs to where our rooms were, so I was hoping she wouldn't make it. When I heard the familiar thud on the landing, soon followed my a softer one, I looked at the clock, knowing I'd have about five minutes or so before I was safe to go grab her and put her in her bed.

I've been dealing with this for the last two years, ever since my dad left us for a woman he met online and happened to live in a whole other country. The only time I ever heard from him was on my birthday and on Christmas. I never forgave him for what he did, but I'll admit I miss him more everyday.

After about ten minutes, I walked out of my room and went to the stairs, seeing a very drunk, very passed out woman who was my mother. Quietly walking down the stairs to her, I hoisted her up enough to put her in my arms and carry her. I had gained a bit of muscles these last couple of years from doing this, so it wasn't hard for me to carry her.

Kicking her door open with my foot, I walked over to her bed and put her it, pulling her shoes off and setting them at the foot of the bed. Pulling the covers over her, I pressed a kiss to her forehead and walked out of the room, closing the door quietly behind me.