Status: Work in Progress

Straight Through My Heart

006

I knew it became obvious that I had a huge attraction to Frank; there was something about him that I felt drawn to. I haven't known him twenty-four hours, and already I feel comfortable with him. He didn't push me away, he didn't freak out when I drew him. He just ... eased up when he realized we were similar.

I didn't know how I knew we were similar, maybe it was the way he dressed, or the hair. All I know is when I met his gaze in the last class today, there was something there that I recognized and knew that I had it in my own eyes as well. That look of nothing but pain and sadness, a past that is just eating away at the very core of a being.

I snapped out of whatever reverie that I was in, and noticed that I was staring directly at Frank, his gaze staring out of the window of the classroom. "You okay? You've been out of it for nearly the entire meeting." I blinked before turning my head and looking at Mikey. "Is it about that drawing?"

"I'm scared, that's all," I said, giving Mikey a tired smile before laying my chin on my crossed arms and looking forward. I joined this comic-drawing club like thing because Mikey talked me into it somehow. I was never one for drawing comic-like pictures, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to have an on-the-side hobby of some sort.

Before I knew it, the meeting was over, and I had retained nothing from it. Sensing my unease, Frank said, "I can catch you up. If you like." Studying his face for a long moment, I pondered over the offer. His hazel eyes sat above barely-there cheekbones. His lashes cast light shadows along his face, making him look so innocent. The silver lip ring shown under the florescent lighting, and moved so slightly as he bit down his lip. His hair was a bit frayed, but it still looked good. Snapping back to reality, I nodded.

"Sure, sounds great," I said, smiling softly at him. As I grabbed my drawing pads and pencils, I walked over to where Mikey stood and we tapped our elbows together. I never understood why we did it, we just did one day when we were younger and it stuck with us to this day. "Ready to go home?" I asked him, just as Frank walked up beside us.

"Yeah. I think Mom's working late, but from the text I got from her about forty-five minutes ago, grandma should be there." I nodded, grinning like an idiot. Our grandmother hardly ever had any good amount of free time to visit, so when she did, it was like Christmas in July.

I was about to ask Mikey how long she was in town when Frank asked, "Can I stay at your place for a while, guys?" Mikey and I looked at him, his eyes looking saddened and scared.

"Yeah, sure thing," I said, hooking my arm with his as we walked through the doors of the school. I didn't know the battle in which he was facing at home, but whatever it was scared the hell out of him, and him being scared freaked me out.

***

We arrived home and saw the familiar 1985 light blue Mustang sitting out in front of our house. Mikey and I ran in as fast as our feet could take us, and were immediately greeted by the lined face of our beloved grandmother. Hugging her close, I said, "It's so good to see you again, Nonna."

"And you as well, bambino," she replied, pushing me back a bit and looking at me with a soft, warm smile. After a moment, she looked passed me, her eyes seeming to study something she wasn't used to. "Who's this?" she asked, her arms dropping as she walked around me.

Turning, I saw Frank looking more uncomfortable than ever. I laughed softly to myself as I made my way over to Frank. "This, Grandmother, is a new friend of Mikey and I. His name is Frank."

"Then, my dear boy, I believe it's time your Frank to learn how I work around here," she said, causing Frank's eyes to widen. Mikey and I then cheered before sitting on the couch and watching both Frank and Grandma intently.

"First off, you will call me either Grandma, Grandmother, Nonna, or Helen if you feel like you're comfortable with a first name basis. You will respect me as you would respect any other grandmother. I am not to be assumed as a push-over, and any event that you seem to think that, I will personally punish you, no matter your age. Are we clear?" she asked, causing Frank to nod vigorously.

"Yes, ma'am," he said, gulping in slight fear.

"Yes ... what?" she asked, raising a graying eyebrow.

"Yes, Grandmother," he said, receiving a slight pat on the shoulder.

"Very good. Now, come with me, boys. It's time to prepare for dinner," she said, turning and making her way towards the kitchen. "That includes you, Frank," she called back as the three of us stumbled behind her.

"She's a great woman, Frank. Don't let her scare you. She just asks for respect, that's all," Mikey said, causing Frank to nod slightly. "You're going to love her."

I glanced at Frank for a brief moment, watching as he silently contemplated something. Not bothering to ask him quite yet, I wrapped my arms around him. We hadn't made it passed the door that lead into the kitchen, and I'm glad we didn't. Before his head barely pressed against my shoulder, he started crying, his hands gripping the back of my shirt.
♠ ♠ ♠
For those unfamiliar with the Italian language, "Nonna" is grandmother, and "Bambino" is child.