Status: Preview. Let me know what you think...should I start publishing it?

Freak Like Me

Preview.

“Welcome to the misfit bus.”
There were five guys who stood around her, all stranger than she had ever seen before but everything she wished her town had. One boy had pink hair and his fingers were linked with another boy whose hair had blonde chunks through it. Another’s hair was shoulder length and black, and he and he had a little R tattooed on his face. There was another tattooed one, but this one was covered from head to two. Except for his face, where even a small tattoo lingered beneath his eye, the girl couldn’t spot a single inch of bare skin. The last was the most normal looking; brown hair, dark eyes and no tattoos – none visible anyway but he looked like he had just rolled out of bed and his eyes were incredibly bloodshot. Despite the five boys who stood around her, the voice had been female, and its owner pushed her way through, weaving between the tattooed boy and the bed head until she stood in front of them.
“Who are you?” The girl asked, tilting her head. She was awfully short and had brown, chopped hair that fell just above her shoulders. She had a steel ring through her nose and she was incredibly pretty in a plane Jane way.
“I’m Cassadee.” She answered timidly.
“I’m Tay.” The little brunette nodded.
Cass gave her a small smile. “Nice to meet you.”
Tay smirked. “I wouldn’t say that just yet.” She tilted her head again, opposite way from before. “So, are ya coming?”
“Where are you going?” She asked hesitantly.
“Anywhere and everywhere.” The other girl answered with a shrug. Small smiles rose on every pair of lips from the boys, even a smirk from the tattooed boy.
Cassadee took a deep breath and looked out the windows of the school bus they were standing in. She looked over her town from the little windows; at the white church across the street. It was just white and plain…there was a flowerless garden out front and not a single car in the parking lot. The white picket fence’s painting was chipping and it was all too dull for her liking. Her town was grey – the buildings, the sky, the people even. She hated it. She hated how well she fit in with them and went along with their ways and their ridiculous views of right vs. wrong. Taking a deep breath, the girl looked back at the group in front of her.
“So. In or out, on or off?” Tay asked, impatiently.
Cassadee bit her lip for a moment. She thought about it; it was completely stupid for her to get on the bus let alone go with them. She didn’t know these people. She knew one of their names and that was it. It was ridiculous for her to even contemplate going with them. Plus, she couldn’t just run away from her home. What about her sister and her mother or father? And her fish, who would take care of Ted? This was stupid, reckless and completely careless for her to think about going on this trip with them. Her eyes wandered the bus and her surroundings. The seats had been ripped out, replaced by a futon, a single bed and a twin bed in the back. There was a mini fridge and wicker baskets everywhere full of everything you could think of; lighters, clothes, sneakers, food, toiletries and hygiene products. How could someone live like this? How could 6 people live like this, all together crammed in this bus. The walls were painted with doodles everywhere. With a heavy sigh, the brunette pulled her eyes away from the bus and back to Tay. This was totally reckless and carefree and stupid she thought as a smile grew on her lips.
“In and on.” She said with a nod.
Tay smirked with a mimicking nod. “Well then. Welcome aboard the misfit bus, where we’re all mad and nothing’s normal.”