Somewhere in Neverland

Chapter One

Sofia Taylor’s fingers idly walked themselves down the staircases railing, as Sofia herself walked down the shining, white spiral staircase. Her long brown hair laid in curls on her chest and her school uniform still itched uncomfortably on her hips. Her cool, white phone was wedged in between her shoulder and her ear as she let out a heavy sigh. “No Charlotte, it’s not so horrible, will you calm down already?” Sofia huffed into her phone, edging her brown hair out of her heart-shaped face.

On the other line, Charlotte’s sweet but curious voice echoed back. “Sofia, I don’t understand you. You spend half of your high school experience complaining about how when your brother leaves it’ll be perfect. How can you possibly be excited that he’s coming back for who knows how long?” Charlotte pointed out, her voice carrying from the small white rectangle.

Sofia shook her head as she descended the final steps, adjusting her top in the full-length hall mirror. “You don’t understand Charlotte. It’s only from Thanksgiving to New Years, it’s not like Elijah’s moving back in.” Sofia argued back, with a faint smile. She could just picture Charlotte sitting on her plush bed, on her stomach, twisting her long blonde hair around a single, always-tanned finger.

“All I’m saying is that you’re going to realize it isn’t all rainbows and sunshine with your brother back in. It’s always a party when another Taylor is in town, and you and I both know that more than anyone.” Charlotte recalled, shuffling sounds being made over the call as she got up and changed positions.

“You’re being ridiculous, Char. It’ll be fine, just watch.” Sofia laughed softly as she sat down on the loveseat, waiting for her mother to finally finish. They had to make it to the train station in time for Elijah to come in. It was strange that he had decided to take the plane over their jet, but then again, college did odd things to people.

Charlotte rustled through some of her drawers, making clacking and crashing sounds through the speaker. “Sofia always knows best.” Charlotte said sarcastically, a smile toying in her voice as she continued to shuffle around.

“That quote is the truest thing you’ve said all day.” Sofia grinned, before catching sight of her mother emerging from her room, purse in hand. Sofia slipped off the loveseat and stood up, switching her phone to her other ear. “Alright, I have to go. I’ll text you later.” Sofia exited, saying her goodbyes before switching her phone shut. She fell into step with her mother as they hurried out the door, keys in hand. That was yet another one of Elijah’s requests. They had to drive and not use their driver.

“This is insanity.” Sofia’s mother, Tess, grumbled under her breath, as she pulled out the winding drive way. Sofia watched her mother intently as Tess focused on the road from behind her Chanel sunglasses.

Sofia and her mother had the same bright green eyes and the same fair skin but the similarities stopped there. Her mother has shining blonde hair cut into a short, bob cut. Her fingers were long like a pianist’s, her fingernails always manicured. She had her signature crisp blazer on as she wove expertly through the lanes. Sofia studied her face, almost surprised that winkles were prominent on her mother’s face. When Sofia thought of Tess Taylor, she thought of a strong, independent woman- her mother. The idea of aging seemed foreign to her.

Sofia knew better than to try and hold a conversation with her at this point. Her mom was busy stressing over the facts and details of her brothers arrival. A few weeks may not seem like a lot, but fitting some one out of the ordinary back into their very scheduled life could be a hassle, and Sofia knew that first hand.

Sighing, she laid her head on the cold, car window, staring outside. The rain had just stopped and the air still smelled of the musky rain and freshness filed in after it. This was Sofia’s favorite time; it was almost magical. She watched as trees and people passed by her, curiously wondering each of their stories and how they came to be. It fascinated her that each person had their own story to go along with them, just like a book. Sofia wondered what the rest of her story would look like.

The golden locket on her chest burned into her chest, the same locket all of her friends classified her with. She always had it on, and it was always on her neck. Her fingers twisted it idly, as she thought of its contents. She didn’t have to open it up to know what was inside. Many cold, lonely nights, Sofia sat in bed, opening and closing the small metal locket, when her brother was out and her parents were on yet another trip. She could still hear the loneliness ringing in her ears.

Shaking the ringing out of her head, she took another breath, looking out the window. She felt relief as she saw the old, broken down train station rolled into view. As soon as they slowed down to a stop, Sofia slipped out of the car and hurried into the train station.

Suddenly, a rush of excitement flooded through her. As much as she wanted to be alone and the only child in the house, she still missed her brother. The two of them spent many nights sneaking each other in and out of the house, and telling each other many secrets. It was almost eerie being home without him.

Sofia checked her golden, Michael Kohrs watch and then at the train schedule. She had five minutes before her brother would roll up and the family would be back together, besides for their dad of course. He was never home much anyway.

Sofia wove through many couples and families, her mother trailing behind, apologizing as always for Sofia’s mistakes of bumping into them. Sofia felt her heart pounding; unable to comprehend why she was so excited. She always loved new things and maybe this will switch it up again.

Finally, Sofia arrived at the gate as people shuffled off. Soon enough, she saw her brother’s messy brown hair. She immediately stood up on her toes and waved to him excitedly, but something automatically felt off. Sofia’s smile dropped as Elijah walked closer, a boy of insanity next to him.

“Mom, Sofia, this is Macen. He’s going to be staying with us too.” Elijah stated, a smile curling on his lips as Sofia’s eyes stayed glued to this boy. He had tattoos, gauges, and shaggy hair. He smelled faintly of smoke and cologne as Sofia’s stomach twisted in disgust. Her lips curled into her familiar grimace as she crossed her arms. Maybe Charlotte was right after all.