Status: See my profile for more Tony Perry. ♥~♥

The Plague

Anna trampled through the tall grass while her German Shepherd, Benjamin, trotted behind her. They were in the middle of a field and since the sky above them was getting darker with every second, Anna knew they had to find shelter soon. She hoped to find an abandoned house, or even an abandoned grocery store. Anna nor Benjamin had eaten all day, and Anna's stomach ached from the pain. She could not imagine how Benjamin felt. Even so, he happily licked her hand for support as they went on, searching the horizon for trees.
Finally, Anna spotted a dark mass among the horizon. Smiling, she sped up her pace and Benjamin happily ran past her, barking gratefully into the warm air. It was as though he could feel her happiness.
As they paced towards the trees, Anna looked down at her frail body. The wind was picking up and she felt as though it could blow her away. She was 5'3 and the last time she had found a scale, a few days ago, she had weighed at an even 100 pounds. She could see the outlines of her ribs, and was beginning to see Benjamin's, too. When there was little food, however, she always gave it to Benjamin, so it was somewhat her fault. But she just could not bear to hear Benjamin whimper from hunger.
As they neared the mass of trees, Anna spotted a small cabin in the midst. Her heart raced as she hoped for food and a container to catch the rainwater. Speeding up to a run, she reached the cabin in no time. She jerked open the door and stepped in, looking around. It was small but enough light came in through the windows. There was a bed with a tattered blanket laid across it. Across from the bed was a dirty stove and an aluminum sink. Anna stepped closer and saw some cans in the cabinets. Grinning, she searched through and found cans and cans of soups, beans, and vegetables. She found a small bowl in the sink and poured the beans into it, and happily set it on the floor for Benjamin. He bounded over and gratefully slopped it up.
Anna searched the other cabinets for a pot, but before she found one, she heard the cabin's door open slowly. Benjamin stopped eating the beans and growled quietly.
Anna's heart stopped as she watched the door open up, and saw a tall boy with a shotgun in his hand, aimed straight at her.