Status: Gift for a good friend :)

Somewhere In Between

Am I Asleep, Am I Awake?

“Mmm, god, this is delicious,” I mumble happily as I swallow down a bite of my burger, grinning and wiping a napkin across my lips. Annalise, my new friend and neighbor, sits across from me at our table, laughing softly and leaning back into her seat.

“It totally is,” she agrees, setting her keys next to her food on the table. “So… Maribel, tell me more about this band you love so much. What are they called again? Some Directions?”

I stare at her with a face full of amusement – or should I say, lack thereof – rolling my eyes and sticking my tongue out at her. “No, their name is One. Direction. Damnit.” She laughs at me and waves it off, sitting forward and folding her hands on the table, putting on a serious face.

“Well, I’m waiting. Which one is the cutest?” I sigh in dreamy thought and sink a little in my seat, setting my chin into my palm and shaking my head playfully so that my thick, straight raven hair slides forward strand by strand.

“His name is Niall… He’s so handsome, and he has the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard. Anna, seriously, you should see him sing and play his guitar, it’s so… I can’t even describe it,” I murmur through a sheepish giggle. She rolls her eyes teasingly and reaches forward, patting my cheek.

“I’m sure it is totally indescribable,” she assures me, nodding her head, “So have you seen them live yet? Are they all guys? Do any of them like…play instruments, or are they just a singing act?”

“I’m supposed to see them this July!” I can’t help but squeal just a little, my eyes suddenly going wide as I turn to check around the quiet burger restaurant, making absolutely certain that no one saw my little moment. “Err… Anyway, I’m a little excited for that. And technically, they’re a singing act, but each of them has their own specific talents… Like I said, Niall can play guitar beautifully,” I explain, blushing a bit toward the end. She slowly nods her head and smiles at me, as if she knows something I don’t.

“Alright, well… What are you gonna do to make this Niall guy yours?” I raise a single brow at her, tilting my head to one side and almost scoffing at that concept.

“I’d love that, but c’mon, Anna… There’s no way that would happen. There are too many girls that are like, completely in love with him. He’d never fall for me,” I huff, thunking myself against the back of my seat and crossing my arms loosely over my chest. “It’s a crazy dream.”

“Not so much. Wake up, Maribel. Wake up and you’ll realize this is nothing but a memory from years and years ago.” My eyes widen and I slowly shake my head, utterly cnfused.

“What are you talking about, Annalise?” She begins to fade, the colors, bright reds and deep blues that filled out the edges of the burger place, fading away with her. I reach out to grab onto her wrist and my fingers go right through her skin. “What the hell?” I whisper, barely managing the words.

“Wake up,” she tells me, before everything completely disappears.