Status: New Story

A Blessing or a Curse

Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen: Who Wouldn’t?

I opened my eyes to blinding sunlight and obnoxious birds singing their heart out as if it were a fairytale book. I wanted to go outside and throw some rocks at them but I was too comfortable and far too lazy to find the energy to get out of bed. I just sighed contently and pulled a sheet towards my chin and cuddled in a ball and made myself more comfortable.
I was surprised how much softer and warmer my bed was today. It even smelt better, like a chocolaty scent mixed with a spice I can’t put my name on. My eyes snapped open when I realized my bed didn’t feel or smell the same. I shot up instantly remembering I was in Carter’s house.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
Carter wasn’t in bed with me. I looked around the tiny bedroom and realized he wasn’t in here either. I looked at the time which read ‘7: 37’ I breathed out a shaky sigh of relief. Okay, so my aunt and uncle weren’t awake just yet. That was good.

I jumped off the bed and made my way out the room. I left the mini hallway it was in and ended up in the kitchen. I went through the living room and saw that the front door was slightly open so I stepped outside into the early morning heat and humidity.
Carter had been leaning against the railing a cigarette in between his lips and shirtless. I had to admit. He looked pretty hot, but smoking wasn’t all that much of an attractive trait. “You know you should quit that.”

Carter turned to face me and inhaled one last smoke and threw the cigarette to the ground and squished it with his barefoot and didn’t even flinch. “I’m trying.”
He opened out his arms for me to hug him but I stayed where I was, ignoring my inner wishes. “Try harder.”
He sighed and put his arms to his side. “It’s the first cigarette I had in two days, and I only took seven smokes. Give me some credit.”
“Why’d you even start?” I asked walking over to his side and let him drape an arm over my shoulders lazily.
“I thought I was a cool 15 year old.” He mumbled, “Girls thought it was the sexiest thing if you could smoke a cigarette and still look ‘cute’. My dumbass…”
I shook my head and giggled lightly at his childhood stupidity. Then I realized even though he’s 3 years older than me he’s much more mature. I mean not even 3 months ago I was 15. He seemed and acted like he was way past that stage, the one I was still at. Doing stupid and reckless things I’ll regret later just to impress or attract the opposite sex.
“How did you sleep?” I changed the subject.
“With you in my arms,” he wrapped his decorated, muscled arm around my waist and pulled me close to his body. I could feel the muscle of his abs on my back which made me shiver slightly. He was too perfect. “like a baby.”
I blushed and looked down at the wooden steps below us and sighed and melted into his arms. Despite the fact that I haven’t known him long it just felt so damn right being in his arms. I guess it was the whole mate thing. “I have to go home now…”
He sighed and departed from me. Absentmindedly I let out a low whimper that thankfully he didn’t hear, or didn’t seem to hear. “I’ll make us breakfast then I’ll drop you off a few miles into your territory.”
I just nodded and followed him inside.

~
“You can’t cook can you?” I asked Carter bemused at the stove, he had just set out a flame on.
He looked at the ground defeated and let out a small sigh. “No…I was never really the best at it to be honest.” I laughed and shook my head. “But it’s not like I can be good-looking, intelligent, sophisticated, charming, funny, easy-going, incredibly social, artistic, and a chef. We’re not all perfect Princess.”
I just laughed again and rolled my eyes. “Step aside boy.” I stepped up to take a look to see what he was cooking. All I could see what small pieces of something white in oil and milk in a large frying pan. “What were you trying to make?” I scrunched my nose at the unusual scent.
“A new creation.” He leaned against the counter his eyes on me. “I took Rice Krispies and tried boiling it in oil and milk to make, fried cereal. As you can see. It didn’t work out to well.”
My jaw dropped and I looked at him as if he had five heads. I burst into a hysterical fit of laughter, clutching my stomach and trying to gasp for air as I laughed at this man’s stupidity. Fried cereal? Where did he come up with this idea?

He just frowned at me and crossed his arms over his bare chest and huffed, “It seemed like a good idea at the time.” That only made my unstoppable laughter much worse. I knew some people just straight up can’t cook, but this guy was a moron!

“Fried…cereal?” I questioned between gasp and laughter. I wiped the tears of laughter from my cheeks as my giggles slowly calmed down until I was just snickering at him lightly. “Well, I suppose I shall take over the kitchen from here.”
He huffed out and mumbled a few profanities under his breath and sat at the small round table and watched me start to cook. I dropped the disgusting frying pan with ‘fried cereal’ in it and filled it with cold water to cool it down.

I pulled out another frying pan from the shelf and started making a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs. “How many eggs do you want?” I asked cracking my fourth egg into a bowl.
“Er…eight? But for me and you 11 or 10 I guess.” He answered.
“Eight?” I looked at him wide-eyed. “Damn, you can eat eight eggs?”
“I can eat way more.” He patted his eight-pack roughly. “Need that nutrition in your diet.”
I just smiled and shook my head. I made a breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon and we ate in silence for a moment. “So…why do you live here?” I asked awkwardly trying to break the silence.
Carter took a swig of his orange juice and just shrugged. “Needed a place to stay. This was available.”
I just bit my bottom and lip and nodded. “But in the middle of the woods? Doesn’t that get scary?”
He shrugged and ran his hands through his messy hair. “I’m not scared easily. I’m way to arrogant to be scared easy.” He admitted with a smirk on his face, “A good and bad trait really.”
I just shook my head and sighed. I got scared easily but I just didn’t show it. Usually I tried to prove I wasn’t a coward by getting myself in a stupid situation or almost killed. They never really ended well. I’m a stupid girl, I’ll admit.
“Most rogues are nomadic…” I began; I started fiddling with the ends of my hair nervously. I’ve been meaning to ask him this for a while now, if he was going to leave anytime soon, or at all.
He shifted uncomfortably and gulped down a bite of his eggs nervously. “Yeah…” he said in a low voice.
“A-are you nomadic? Do you move around…a lot?” I didn’t mean to stutter but wondering what his answer was made me nervous.
“Look Lolita let’s not talk about this right now. Just finish your breakfast so I can take-”
I cut him off, “So are you are nomadic.”
He sighed and just ruffled a hand through his hair. “Sorta.”
“What does ‘Sorta’ mean?”
“I mean, I’m going to be here for a while so don’t worry about any of that right now.” A small smirk appeared on his lips. “I wouldn’t leave you so soon anyway. I’d hate to leave you here all defenseless and afraid. You couldn’t possibly live without me.”
I rolled my eyes and put another forkful of eggs into my mouth. “Yeah, yeah, surely.” I mumbled sarcastically.
Just then a small knock came at his front door. “C?” a light feminine voice came from outside.
Carter mumbled something to me under his breath I didn’t catch and stood from the table and went to answer the door. I got up and followed behind but stood a couple feet away and watched.

He opened the door to reveal an undeniably gorgeous Latin girl with bronze, tan skin that made her light blue eyes pop from the contrast of her dark skin and light eyes. Her dark brown hair fell in perfect waves right above her fairly large bust and she had prominent cheekbones that complimented her plump pink lips. She stood maybe one or two inches taller than me, had she been taller she could be a model.

I felt a bit of envy cloud in my stomach. Who was she to Carter? Why was she here so early?
“Catalina…” Carter said than continued to say something to her in Portuguese that I unfortunately couldn’t understand. I only made out a few simple words, that I learned in Latin class.
She responded back in Portuguese and averted her eyes to me, narrowing them into a glare and spat something out at him her cold eyes still eyeing me closely.
I glared at her back, but not as nearly as rude. Carter sighed and stepped aside to let her in and closed the door behind her. “Catalina, she isn’t some whore.” Carter pulled me closer to him and wrapped an arm around my waist and held me tight to him. “This is Marilyn. My mate.”
The girl, named Catalina immediately dropped her glared and her eyes widened and she smiled at me. “Eu não posso acreditar!” she pulled me from Carter’s grasp and into a bone-crushing hug. “I never thought you’d find a mate to be honest Carter.” She pulled away and smiled at me.
“I’m Catalina. This babaca’s cousin, sadly.” She smiled warmly at me. She had a slight accent which matched her exotic look making her seem even more foreign and beautiful. “Sorry for giving you the hard look earlier. I thought you were some worthless trash, he brings around every now and then.”

I frowned at that. Did Carter have one-night stands often? What if he caught something?
“What does babaca mean?” I asked sheepishly.
“Jerk.” She answered. “It’s nice to meet you Marilyn.”
“Lolita, please call me Lolita.” I gave her a small smile.
“Well Cat you should get going now. I was just taking my namorada home, I’ll see you later.”
“Wait, do you need something to eat?” she offered.
Carter shook his head and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. “Loli makes some good food.” He kissed my temple.
“Oh okay. I’ll see you later Carter.” She then said something in Portuguese and gave him a stern look than turned her attention toward me and smiled. “It was nice meeting you Lolita.”
I just nodded and smiled back. After she left closing the door behind her Carter sighed and shook his head and smiled down at me. “C’mon let’s get you home.”
“Do you think she likes me?” I blurted out shyly. I didn’t expect to meet any of Carter’s family today and I wanted to leave a good impression. I mean your mate’s family must be important to your mate, so their opinion must matter.
“Who wouldn’t?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I posted so late. I've been busy. But I'll be back on track soon.
Do not be a silent reader.
Comments make me want to post and subscriptions and recommendations help even more.
Oh, and I'd more than love and appreciate a banner. Message me if you'd like to send me one. I'd just drown in tears of happiness. It'd mean soooo fucking much to me!

Xoxo Exclusively.Flawless