Status: New Story

A Blessing or a Curse

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine
The next day around noon after Ashelle and I got some breakfast from McDonalds we decided to go for a run. We were bored and ran out of romance movies to watch.
As we trotted in the forest playfully I didn’t realize I led us to the creek where I met my mate on our daily visits. ‘Ash, this is where he and I first met!’ I cried out joyfully. I inhaled the air through my noises smelling his very faint smell from being here all the time.
‘Aw, isn’t that cute.’ She faked enthusiasm. I nipped her ear lightly and she shoved me with her nose.
I lowered my head to get a sip of water when a foul scent entered my nostrils. Ashelle’s heads and I both shot up instantly. ‘Not again…’ Ashelle thought more to herself than to me.
‘We should just go. Let’s not wait around for trouble.’ It was unlike me to say this, usually I was reckless and had more than enough nerve but something told me that after all the hunters and rouge attacks, it wouldn’t be the best idea.
‘Thank the Lord; she’s finally seen the light.’ Ashelle praised. ‘But I couldn’t agree with you more, let’s go.’
Right when we turned our heels to make a run for it a burly, muscular man with fiery orangey-red hair and a beard to match appeared from behind a tree. He had a fairly large cross bow in his hand and a gigantic bowie knife around his waist and a pistol right next to it.
I growled trying to look fierce and threatening and Ashelle followed my example. ‘Why is it always us?’ she questioned.
Just then two other men came up from both sides, all three large, muscular men with crossbows, pistols and knives. “We can make this easy and painless…or this can be difficult, you two decide.” The red-headed one taunted.
I snarled in his direction and a smirk slowly creeped up upon his lips, “Looks like the bitch made her decision.” He released an arrow into my shoulder causing me whimper out in pain.
Ashelle lunged toward him while I regained my strength and attack one on the other side. Before the fought got any further than that we all stopped what we were doing to hear a low and lethal growl.
I looked up to see a humongous dark brown wolf with fur just like snickers chocolate and chocolate brown eyes to match. I didn’t recognize him or his scent. I attempted to mind link him but I couldn’t. He wasn’t a part of the pack.
The hunters slowly backed down. I could see why, this wolf was big and he did sure as hell look bad. The wolf slowly stalked toward them with in an intimidating growl rumbling from his chest.
The red-headed hunter pulled out his pistol and pointed it toward the wolf. Instinctively I growled at the threat he was giving out to Ash and I’s savior. “Listen pup you-”
The wolf snarled at him and gritted his canines together while moving closer to him. “I can see we must’ve been messing with your mate perhaps.”
I growled lowly. I was no one’s mate but my mysterious black wolf’s. The wolf just ignored his comment snapped at the red-headed man causing him to pull the trigger upwards that missed the wolf but lightly grazed my left hind leg making me howl in pain.
The silver bullet hadn’t entered me but it passed me leaving a serious burning sensation.
At just that the large brown wolf attacked the man ripping him to shreds in an instant. When one of the other hunters’ tried to interfere he killed that one with ease as well.
Now the brown wolf was hovering over the last one with an angry look on his face, while the hunter cowered from his glare. “P-please…I-I’ll leave and never return…just please!”
The wolf just ended his life quickly and flung his body with his other partners.
Ashelle and I just stood there cautiously staring at the wolf to see if he’d do us any harm. He was twice our size and could pose a huge threat on us if he pleased.
Eventually the wolf shrunk down and shifted into a tall, muscular and beyond gorgeous man. His black hair was wild and curly and he had some dark, short facial hair that suited him well. He was naked and he covered his manhood with his hands. His bare chest was nothing but pure muscle and covered in black tattoos alongside half of one of his arms. “I’m going to go for a second and come back. I swear…I mean no harm.” He cautiously walked behind a few trees and returned in basket ball shorts.
“I’m Valentino…” he began slowly. “Would you girls like to shift so I can speak with you please?”
I growled at him signaling no. We didn’t have any clothes and the last thing I wanted to do is have a conversation with some stranger naked.
‘You know Lolita…’ Ash’s voice entered my mind. ‘He’s really sexy. I like his tattoos.’
I couldn’t deny the fact he looked good but that’s unfair to my mate. Plus, he didn’t trigger any actual lust, only my mate had the ability to do that. All I could really do is acknowledge the fact that he was attractive, nothing more and really nothing less. ‘Yeah, I guess soo…’ I agreed unenthusiastically.
“You…” he directed his attention toward me taking a small step forward. “Your eyes…they are purple…”
I scoffed and snorted. ‘Violet dimshit, they’re violet.’
‘You gotta admit Lolita, they are pretty purplish. They got that hint of blue but purple is most definitely the dominant color there.’ Ash remarked like the wise-ass she always insisted on being.
I internally sighed and averted my attention back to the stranger. “Is your name Lolita?” he questioned me.
I stepped back my brows furrowed together. How did he know my name? Was he new to the pack of something?
“I’m Valentino…did Carter tell you about me?” he asked taking three steps forward before stopping. “His best friend.”
‘Carter? Whose Carter?’ Ashelle asked me.
Ca. It all came to me! His name was Carter! Holy shit my name was Carter! What was his last name?
I shook my head at Valentino.
“Do either one of you have clothes to shift into?” he asked us.
‘We have some old sweats and tee-shirts about a mile up north, where we keep emergency clothes if you wanna get them.’ I suggested my attention towards Ashelle.
‘What? No, why. Let’s just go.’ Ashelle letting her timid nature deny her a simple conversation with this self-proclaimed best friend of my mate.
‘Ashelle Carter is my mate. Valentino is his best friend, he wouldn’t hurt us.’ I knew I’d always been a little too trusting but I doubted anything would happen if we just spoke to him.
‘I thought you didn’t know his name!’
I ignored Ashelle and signaled Valentino to follow us with the motion of my head. I trotted toward the direction where Ash and I always kept spare clothes with Valentino behind me and Ashelle behind him watching his every movement for any signs of funny business.
When we finally got to our desired destination Ash and I quickly shifted behind some trees and changed into some underwear, baggy sweatpants and loose band tee shirts.
When we arrived out of the trees Valentino had just been patiently standing there his hands in his pockets looking out of it. He looked me up and down and examined me closely, after he finished scanning me his lips formed into a smirk and shook his head as something was funny, “So you’re the little girl whose got Carter talking ‘bout you, hm? “
“I’m not a little girl.” I protested. It was a bit childish of me to try to argue with a man, when I had just turned sixteen two months ago.
Valentino looked old, maybe in his early twenties. It made me wonder how old Carter is.
“Just to clarify things Carter is a big black wolf with gold eyes, am I right?”
Valentino chuckled and nodded, “That’s Car for you.” He ran his hand through his wild curls; they were exactly like mine but short and black. “He’s told me how he hasn’t revealed himself to you yet, am I right?”
I just nodded and looked over at Ashelle who was studying Valentino intently. She was probably thinking inappropriate thoughts but was trying to mask it as intimidation.
He shook his head and chuckled to himself again. “Why didn’t he show me himself?” I demanded more than asked.
Valentino looked at me and then shrugged. “I think that’s something we should let Carter answer for himself, only better if it gets handled that way. I don’t want to get dragged into anything.”
“Were you the wolf who saved us from the hunters back in March?” Ashelle spoke up; I hadn’t realized she’d been silent this entire time until now. “And at the party?”
Valentino’s eyebrows pushed together as he gave us a confused look until he finally shook his head, “No, today was the only time.”
Ashelle and I looked at each other, still not solving the mystery of who had saved us.
“W-where is Carter?” I asked hopeful he was somewhere around here.
Valentino hesitated to answer the question and looked up at me; his eyes squinted as if he was looking for something. “Can’t say. He has a reason for hiding his identity.” He slowly backed away ready to turn on his heels and leave until I stopped him.
“No! Wait, please don’t go!” I begged. “Take me to him…?” my voice came out as a desperate whisper.
He shook his head and pressed his lips into a thin line, “No, I can’t do that. Look I’m sorry but I have to go an-”
“Wait! Before you go…tell him to meet me at our usual spot; where we always meet, at noon tomorrow. Can you do that? Will you see him today?”
Valentino just nodded and headed toward the green trees and disappeared in them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I may stop updating so quickly but still leave comments and feel free to subscribe. I'm honestly looking for some constructive criticism. So lay it on me, why don't ya? I can take it, just don't be harsh.

Also if I have any errors like grammar, spelling mistakes let me know as well. microsoft and I can't catch everything. Haha. So enlighten me with RELEVANT opinions to my story!