Lumos

Departure

The day they were to leave for Hogwarts, Sebastian woke Felicity up before dawn. He dragged her from the house, the roundabout way around Hangman Hill, and into a large patch of tall trees at the foot of the mountain. By the time they’d arrived, Felicity had gathered that Sebastian was going to impress her with his flying skills, as he’d brought along his Nimbus 1700. They walked for a long time until they came across a rather spacious clearing that Felicity had never been in.

“Took me forever to find a place I could practice without being spotted,” Sebastian was complaining as they broke into the clearing.

“I’ve never been in the woods,” said Felicity nervously, envisioning wolves or other dangerous beasts watching them between the trees.

“Really? If I lived in the country, I’d be out here all the time.”

“Don’t you live with Uncle Markus? In that big manor?”

“Yeah, but there’s a family of Muggles living nearby and there’s no trees or nothing, so I can’t really practice outside.”

“So where do you practice?”

“The ballroom.”

“Your house has a ballroom?”

“Yeah, well, the Black family used to host a lot of events and such. Not so much, lately, since Markus never settled down and Madam Black is ‘too old to be a proper hostess for grand events.’”

“How old is she?” asked Felicity, shuddering and push away the mental image of her grandmother as it surfaced in her mind.

“She won’t say,” Sebastian answered with a shrug. “So, ready to fly?”

Me?” squeaked Felicity.

“Yeah, you.”

Felicity eyed the broom as though it were a time bomb about to go off. “You’re joking. I can’t fly!”

“Not yet. I’ll teach you. Anyone can do it, Felicity, just give it a go.” When she hesitated, Sebastian put on his customary smirk and said, “Not scared, are you?”

Gathering her courage, Felicity took the broom and looked expectantly at Sebastian, who rolled his eyes.

“You have to get on it,” he said slowly, as though talking to an infant. Feeling more and more foolish by the moment, Felicity mounted the broom and waited for further instruction. “This isn’t quite how she’ll teach you at Hogwarts, but at least you won’t look like a bleeding idiot in front of the class. Now, what do you think comes next?”

“Er...I fly?”

“Yes, but how?”

“Well, I expect I just sort of…”

A strangled shriek escaped Felicity’s lips as she pushed off the ground and the broom began to rise up. “Aim it, aim it!” Sebastian shouted as she started to drift toward the left. Trying to steady herself, Felicity jerked the handle to the right, accidentally twisting around completely until she was facing the opposite direction as she’d started. “Easy does it, now. Easy, Felicity. Just lean and-”

Felicity didn’t hear what came next because, as soon as she’d leaned forward, the broom had shot forward at a speed she wouldn’t have thought possible. “Stop, stop, stop!” she shouted at the broom, pulling backward until the broom stopped, leaving her suspended nearly twenty feet off the ground. Trying to not sound as panicked as she felt, Felicity shouted, “What do I do now?”

“Keep calm!” Sebastian called. “Just relax, okay? Small corrections. Lean forward slightly.”

Felicity complied, leaning forward enough to make the broom begin to move forward. Encouraged, she angled the handle down and gently drifted to the ground. Sebastian came to meet her, offering a hand to steady her as she dismounted. She shocked both Sebastian and herself by throwing her arms around his neck and burying her face in his shoulder. Sebastian, unsure how to react to this, awkwardly patted her shoulder. Once her heartbeat had steadied, Felicity pulled away from him, her face burning.

“So, er...can we go home now?” she asked, looking off into the trees.

Sebastian rubbed the back of his head, just as unable to look at Felicity as she was him. “I mean, don’t you want to try again?”

“No, I think I’ve, er, had enough for one day.”

To Felicity’s surprise, Sebastian replied, “Alright. Let’s go,” and swung the broom over his shoulder before leading the way back into the woods.

Felicity followed closely behind Sebastian, her thoughts racing. Why had she hugged him like that? It had been so stupid and awkward, but she’d been so scared up in the air and even her feet on the ground hadn’t seemed enough - and Sebastian had just looked so steady.

“So,” said Sebastian after a brief silence, “I reckon I shouldn’t apply for flying instructor when I finish Hogwarts.”

“Maybe you could be master of yelling at people,” Felicity suggested, giving a shaky laugh.

“I didn’t yell. I raised my voice so you could hear me properly.”

“Right. I suppose it’s easier when you’ve been doing it your whole life. Flying, I mean.”

Sebastian was quiet for a moment, then said, “I haven’t.”

“Haven’t what?”

“Been flying my whole life. I, well…” Sebastian glanced at Felicity, looking conflicted. “You can’t say anything, but, truth is...I grew up in an orphanage. A Muggle orphanage. Ten years.”

Felicity was silent as they reached the edge of the trees, her house coming into view. Quite suddenly, Sebastian reached out and grabbed Felicity’s arm, pulling her to a stop. He met her curious gaze, saying seriously, “I mean it, Felicity. Don’t tell anyone I told you that. Markus doesn’t want anyone to know and...and I owe him a lot. He didn’t have to come get me. If he hadn’t, I wouldn’t have had anything, you know.”

“Why did he?” asked Felicity. “I mean, he doesn’t seem…”

“Fatherly?” finished Sebastian, with a half-hearted smile. “No, he’s not, I suppose. It’s more about continuing the family name. Not married, no kids… he kept watch of the Hogwarts list - he’s got connections, I suppose - and, eventually, found my name. Reckon one of my parents was magic.”

“You don’t know which?”

“No. Markus won’t tell me.”

“You could do research, you know,” Felicity suggested. “If you knew the orphanage name, they might have some records…”

“I don’t think they’d know who my parents were. And I’m honestly not sure I care.”

“You’re happy living with Uncle Markus and…”

Sebastian kicked at a clump of grass, looking at the branches over their heads. “It doesn’t matter. I’m adopted into the Black family. They tell people I’m his child from an anonymous witch who didn’t want nothing to do with him. Didn’t even tell him about me until she was on her deathbed.”

His smile had grown brittle, bitter, and Felicity was worried that the conversation was veering into unstable territory. So, reaching out and giving his hand a squeeze, she said, “I won’t tell a soul.”

A look of relief washed over Sebastian’s face, his smile relaxing, and he said, “Thanks.”

“You should still look into those records,” Felicity suggested. “I mean, if I were in your place, I’d want to know where I came from, you know?”

“Yeah,” Sebastian agreed vaguely.

Sensing growing tension, Felicity changed the subject, beginning to trot toward the house, “So, did you make a fool of yourself your first time on a broom?”

“Right, like I’ll ever tell you that,” Sebastian grinned. “As far as you’ll ever know, I’m a bloody prodigy. Brilliant on a broom, a natural athlete.”

The conversation stayed light all the way back to the house and the two rather avoided each other for the rest of the morning. Within the hour, Esther had roused Felix and Markus and began making preparations for the journey to London. It wouldn’t be so long this time and, to Felicity’s great relief, they wouldn’t have to pay another visit to the Black manor.

Once again, they were travelling by Floo Powder to The Leaky Cauldron. From there, it was a short walk to King’s Cross Station, where Felicity and Sebastian would be boarding the Hogwarts Express. Felicity’s heart jumped every time she thought about it.

Esther was alive with a nervous energy, fussing over Felicity’s trunk and the state of Felix’s clothes and all manner of silly things as the clock ticked closer to eleven o’clock. By ten, Markus, sick of Esther’s worrying, suggested they leave a little early. He retrieved the bag of Floo Powder he’d brought from home and started a fire in the family’s small fireplace.

“Care to go first?” Markus offered, holding the bag out to Esther. “Be there when the children arrive. They might wander off, otherwise.” He eyed Felix pointedly as he said this.

Reluctantly, Esther took a handful of powder and tossed it into the fire, having to stoop to step in. The moment she’d vanished, Markus let out a sigh. “Always a bloody worry wart,” he muttered, shaking his head. “Felix?”

It took some convincing to get Felix to step into the fire, still rather scarred from his last Floo Powder experience, then Sebastian went, shoving his trunk and caged owl quickly into the green flames before stepping in himself.

“I’ve got your trunk,” said Markus as he finally offered the powder to Felicity. She was about to reach into the bag when Markus unexpectedly closed his fist around it. When Felicity looked up at him, confused, he said softly, “Do try and make us proud. I’d hate to have put my faith where it didn’t belong.”

Felicity stared with wide eyes, not sure what to say. In the past month, Markus had begun to grow on her, with his little endearments. He was charismatic, if nothing else. She’d even begun to overlook the subtle insults often hidden beneath his words when he spoke about certain people or topics. Now, truly alone with him for the first time, seeing the way he looked at her...like she were an unruly dog he was attempting to train...it made her uncomfortable.

When the silence had stretched to a nearly unbearable length, Felicity managed to whisper, “Yes, Uncle.”

Instantly, Markus’ face broke back into his charming smile. “That’s my girl. Go on, then. Don’t want to be late.” He rolled his eyes and looked at the clock. It was barely ten minutes past.

Felicity grabbed a handful of powder and gratefully turned her back on her uncle. Her head was spinning from their brief exchange and her heart was beating hard against her ribs. For just a moment, before she had answered him, she had felt…unsafe.

Moments later, Felicity was stepping out of the fireplace in the grubby pub. Markus joined the family a moment later, dragging Felicity’s loaded trunk behind him. They set off, getting several odd looks from passing Muggles - it wasn’t every day you saw someone carrying a caged owl down the road, after all.

The walk gave Felicity time to compose herself and, by the time they reached the station, she’d managed to bury her fear and replace it with appropriate curiosity. The station was crowded and Felicity looked all around, expecting to see other groups with trunks and owls. All she saw, however, were normal people, hurrying to catch their trains.

“Where are all the wizards?” Felix asked loudly, earning a shush from Esther.

“We’ve got to get onto the platform first, my boy,” said Markus. “Ladies first?”

Felicity looked around, confused. Markus was gesturing to the brick wall between platforms nine and ten. “Which platform is it?”

“That’s the interesting bit,” said Esther, looking unusually excited. “I never got to do this, myself, since Mum left me at home. The platform is number nine-and-three-quarters.”

Felicity blinked, waiting for the punchline, which she’d apparently missed. When no explanation was offered, however, she realized that it wasn’t a joke at all. “Well...how do you get on the platform, then? Is there a… a secret switch or panel or…?”

“Just follow my lead,” Sebastian cut in, giving Felicity’s shoulder a squeeze. He wheeled his cart, laden with his trunk and owl, to face the barrier. Then he began to walk at a brisk pace toward it. He picked up speed as he approached and, a moment later, he had gone.

Felicity’s mouth fell open. “What?”

“Come on,” said Esther, taking Felicity’s hand. She looked over her shoulder at Markus. “Bring Felix, will you?”

Leading the way, Esther turned them to face the barrier and began to stroll toward it. Felicity matched her pace, her palms beginning to sweat. The barrier looked awfully solid to her. They broke into a sprint just feet from the bricks and Felicity clenched her eyes shut, braced for impact…

They stopped.

Opening her eyes, Felicity couldn’t stifle a gasp of surprise. They were on a platform crowded with parents and children bustling about to get their luggage onto the train, a scarlet steam engine with the words Hogwarts Express across the front.

“Wow,” Felicity breathed.

“My thoughts precisely,” her mother replied in the same amazed tone.

“Move along,” came Markus’ voice just behind them - he and Felix had arrived with Felicity’s trunk. “Don’t want it to leave without us, eh?” He elbowed Esther jokingly - her lips pursed like she’d just sucked on a lemon.

“Come sit with me,” Sebastian suggested, taking Felicity’s arm and leading her toward the train. They approached a compartment that was already occupied by a blonde girl looking at herself in a compact mirror, a pointed-faced boy with silver hair, and two large boys that flanked the other, looking rather like bodyguards.

“Hello, Seb,” said the silver-haired boy brightly.

The girl with the mirror looked up, beaming at them. “Bastian. Finally! Thought you’d never get here!” She reached out and kissed Sebastian, making Felicity’s face go red. She quickly stepped away, only to be grabbed by Uncle Markus.

“Felicity,” Markus said jovially, “this is Draco Malfoy. You met his father in Diagon Alley, you remember?”

“Yes,” said Felicity faintly. She could still hear Sebastian being kissed just behind her and it was enormously distracting.

“I’m sure you’ll be good friends at Hogwarts, so I’ll leave you to it. Have a good term, you two.”

He gave Felicity a brief hug and then departed, off to bother Lucius, no doubt.

“Felicity, was it?” Draco asked, looking only mildly interested in her. He gestured to the burly boys to either side of him. “This is Crabbe and Goyle. Will you be in Slytherin, too?”

“Erm…”

“Felicity?” came Esther’s voice from outside.

“That’s me,” Felicity said, relieved for an escape. She cast another glance toward Sebastian and instantly regretted it - it looked like the girl was trying to suck his face off. Stepping off the train, Felicity found her mother waiting for her. Felix was nowhere around. “Where’s Felix?”

“Made friends already,” Esther replied, pointing. Felix was a short distance away, talking to two red-headed twin boys, who seemed to be greatly entertaining him.

“That makes one of us.”

“Now, listen to me,” said Esther, crouching down and taking Felicity’s hands. There were unshed tears in her gray eyes. “You’re going to have a wonderful time. You’re going to make great friends and learn magic and grow into an amazing young woman. These will be the best years of your life.”

“Do you wish you’d gone?” Felicity asked, already knowing the answer.

Esther looked down sadly, but then smiled. “It wouldn’t have suited me. But you’re going to love it.”

“What if I don’t fit in.”

“No matter what happens, Felicity, you’ll always fit in.” She pulled Felicity into her arms. “Right here.”

“Thanks, Mom,” Felicity whispered, clinging tightly to her. It occurred to her that this was the last time she’d be seeing her mother and brother until Christmas - four months. The thought made her ache terribly.

A whistle blew overhead and Esther jumped up. “You’ve got to go. Have a fantastic time, alright? Just be yourself. Write to us.”

“Bye, Mum.”

Felix, who was just wandering back over to them, surprised Felicity by throwing his arms around her waist. “Bye, Lissie.” She returned the hug fondly, but scowled when whispered to her, “Take me with you.”

“Goodbye, Felix,” she said firmly, stepping away from him and onto the train. She made her way back to her compartment. Sebastian and the girl, thankfully, had separated and were sitting across from each other. The compact mirror was back in front of her face. Sebastian was involved in an arm-wrestling match with Crabbe, and Malfoy was complaining to Goyle about not being allowed a broom at school. Felicity passed them all to look out the window, waving to her mother when she spotted her.

The train pitched, beginning to rumble forward. Felicity pressed her hands against the glass, straining to watch her family as long as she could. But, all too soon, the train rounded the corner and they were gone.