Rosaleigh, NY

Samara Armstrong

“Mark, c’mon,” I try to reason with my fiancée, who’s looking at me with an expression that almost makes me feel guilty for wanting something different from him. “Chinese is much more appealing than Subway is.”

“I thought you wanted to be healthy?” He walks over and pulls me close, sliding an arm around my waist. “Chinese isn’t exactly recommended by nutritionists.”

“But today is Friday,” I pout, giving Mark the puppy dog eyes I know he hates me using. It’s because he’s weak, unable to say no to the eyes. It’s a gift, one I inherited from my father. “Friday is Fatty-Food day.”

“Fine,” he growls after a moment of me batting my eyes at him. “But if you get fat, don’t complain to me about it.” I laugh in response; we both know that I’m very dedicated to my fitness routine – five days of Pilate classes and on the weekends, I catch up with my college friends through a leisurely run around the local park.

As Mark rings the Chinese place, I make myself comfortable on our couch, turning on the TV and clicking through the various channels. I settle for an old episode of One Tree Hill, a show I’ve watched countless times. It’s the episode where Mouth raps to Baby Got Back and it’s one of my favourites.

“Hey, babe?” Mark suddenly calls from the kitchen. I place the TV on mute and head to the kitchen, propping myself up onto the kitchen bench. “You have a voice message from your dad.”

I climb off the kitchen bench and after a minute of debating whether to delete the message or not, I decide to listen to it. It can’t hurt, right?

“Hi sweetheart, it’s been a while since I last spoke to you and things have changed in Rosaleigh.” My father has never really been one to beat around the bush, he, like me, shares the trait of forwardness when it comes to certain situations. “You need to come home. Call me back.”

I stare at the phone in amazement, not quite believing what I’ve heard. Instantaneously, and ignoring Mark’s concern as he asks me what’s wrong, I call my father and he picks up on the third ring.

“Samara? You got my message, I presume?” He sounds tired, even though New York is only an hour ahead of Chicago.

“Daddy, I’m not coming back to Rosaleigh,” I tell him firmly. “If I wanted to visit, I would.”

“Please Sammy,” I cringe, remembering the nickname I was given by a former friend, whom I don’t have contact with anymore. “Rosaleigh is in trouble, and I need you to help me.”

“I want to help,” I tell him sorrowfully. “But I don’t think I can.” I’m hesitant to go back, not because of the memories (although, that contributes a great deal), but it reminds me of the person I used to be and the person that’s remembered by the town.

My father is the mayor of the small town, and because of his status, I’m frequently in the spotlight, with pressure and high expectation to succeed and rise above others in all aspects. When I lived in Rosaleigh, I was able to meet everyone’s expectations, but more times than others it became too much and I knew from early on that I had to escape town.

Father sighs over the phone, and I can tell he’s disappointed with me. He’s seven hundred miles away from me but I still feel the guilt settling in my stomach. I thought, after four years, I’d be able to escape this, but apparently it’s going to stick with me for as long as I live, no matter where I am.

“I understand,” he says finally but I know he doesn’t, not really. “At least come back in a month or so, yes?”

“Why?” I question, curious. “What’s happening in a month?”

“Rosaleigh High is scheduled to be torn down by developers,” Father answers. “It’ll be the first to leave us, along with many other favourite places you and your friends liked so much.”

While it’s true that Rosaleigh is a place held with burdens rather than positivity, it’s still my home and always will be, despite the lack of visitation it’s received from me in the past four years.

“I’ll be there in the morning,” I decide. “See you soon.”

“I love you,” he finishes before hanging up. I sigh, cradling the phone in my hands before placing it in its original spot.

“Where are you going?” Mark asks, looking at me intently. “Is it urgent?”

“I have to go home – to Rosaleigh for a few days, a week at most.” I quickly explain the situation to him, about how Rosaleigh is being torn down by developers and how I’m inevitably going to help to save it. I can tell by the underlying tones in my father’s voice – he knows he needs reinforcements to help save our town, and I’m a prominent member of the community that can help with this issue. “Don’t worry, I’ll be back before you know it.”

“If you want, I could come with you…?” He trails off, a hopeful smile gracing his lovely features.

I shake my head furiously. “This is something I’ve got to do on my own,” I tell him, kissing him gently on the cheek. I head into our shared bedroom and begin to pack, wondering if I’m the only person from high school who’ll be at home. But then I remember it’s summer break, and most people come back to spend time with their family.

As long as I am able to avoid certain people, the trip would be okay. I would come to help my father, perhaps grab a cupcake at the local bakery and avoid as many people I can in the process. It would be quick, painless and easy. Or so I hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
New group-write! This is going to be awesome; I’m so excited to work on this bad boy with the rest of the co-writers ~