Paradise

Welcome To Paradise, Asshole!

It was a perfect day. The sun was out and the sky was blue. Girls strolled down the sidewalk in their cute, floral-y, pastel colored spring dresses while the guys broke out the khaki-colored shorts and bright screen tees. The doors of every street shop were open for customers to enter, while the street vendors happily waited to hand out what they make best – food. The trees lined up along the sidewalk were at the peak of blooming and from a distance you could see the brightly colored flower buds making its way back into the world. People chatted it up while walking down the street, entering the corner shops, and waiting in line for food – all with smiles on their faces, thanks to the beautiful weather. It was the perfect picture, really.

Everyone in Los Angeles enjoyed this weather, even though it was mostly this way 90% of the time in California. It was a the go-to place during spring break, aside from the hot spots such as Mexico, Las Vegas, and the Bahamas – Los Angeles was the place to chill.

The surfers were beginning to hit the beaches around this time. They were thrilled since the winter season was finally over and the skies were back to its beautiful blue color. Guys planted their surfboards in the sand while they zipped themselves up, and in the distance were the girls who laid out on the beach just to watch the guys get back on the boards.

How many more days till summer?

Nineteen-year-old Remi Sutton pushed her sunglasses up higher along the bridge of her nose as she walked down the bike lane alongside the beach. In one hand, her phone while her other hand held onto an extra large Slurpee from the 7-11 down around the corner. The wind blew through her hair as she walked down the path, making a slight turn towards the rocks that sat closer to the water. She looked down and kept her balance as she finally stopped to look out towards the ocean.

It was around noon and here she was, alone, at the beach with a Slurpee in hand. Before she sat down on the rocks, Remi let out a burp and removed one of her ear buds just so she can listen the sounds of the water hitting the rocks.

As she sat there in solitude, she raised the volume on her phone and drowned herself in the music while overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach
So she ran away in her sleep


It was the start of Remi’s spring break and she couldn’t be happier to be back home. She had almost forgot how relaxing California made you feel; the weather in Michigan just didn’t compare. It made her rethink her choice of attending University of Michigan all the time. She brought the straw up to her lips and took a sip.

As a Journalism student, an assignment she had to do while on spring break was to write a 5-page paper on ‘What Makes A Great Spring Break’. When Remi first heard that there was going to be an assignment due on the first day back to class, she rolled her eyes. Spring break was meant to be homework-less, but maybe that only applied to schools in California. Michigan, on the other hand, wanted to drown every single student with assignments.

She dreamed of para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Every time she closed her eyes


Just as soon as the second verse was about to be sung, the music faded and her ringtone played. Remi groaned and looked down at her phone to see who was calling – an unknown number.

Remi answered and said in her best ‘I’m totally interested, but I’m really now’ voice, “Hello?”

“Yes, is this Miss Remington Sutton,” asked a woman’s voice. It sounded as though she was probably in her late 20’s, early 30’s. Her name might be Peggy, and her hair might have been permed a little too much, but she embraced it. She was probably sitting in a cubicle making these advertising calls. “Hello?”

Remi shook herself out of the trance and placed her Slurpee in between her knees. “Yeah, this is she.” She tucked her hair behind her ear and leaned forward, resting her chin over her knee.

“Hello Miss Sutton, my name is Julie Morgans. I’m the co-editor of Seventeen Magazine and I was calling regarding your interest in becoming one of our interns?”

Intern? Remi shook her head and grabbed her Slurpee before getting up. “Um, I don’t think I ever sent in an application. I never even knew you guys were accepting interns. But then again, I’m not really interested in interning for a teenage girl magazine.”

Remi heard Julie clear her throat before responding. “Well, Miss Sutton, it looks like you sent in an application of interest a few weeks ago. Just before March. We looked over your resume and we saw that you’ve written for your high school’s newspaper since your freshmen year. You also have your own blog, am I correct?”

“Yes, but I mean, you guys wouldn’t be interested in what I have to write? I don’t focus on celebrity gossip, or the latest trends. I focus on things like what’s really in McDonald’s hamburger meant, or how clean are the oceans, and I even wrote a 5-part entry on replacing your Brita water filter,” Remi said, before bringing the Slurpee straw up to her lips.

On the other end, she could hear Julie break out into a fit of laughter. “Oh, sweetheart, we’ve gone through your blog; we’ve read through your entries. Your writing is fantastic, and we would love it if you could join us for Spring Break. It may not be your style, but I’m sure you could whip up a great Ess-Bee article!”

Slurping up the last of her Cherry Limeade, Remi turned her back towards the ocean and made her way back to the street. She tossed her cup into the nearest trashcan and sighed into the end of her phone. “You know what, Julie Morgans? I’ll think about it,” said Remy as she stuck her free hand into her pocket. “I’ll think about it, and I’ll let you know tomorrow.”

“That sounds great, Miss Sutton. If you have any questions between now and then, feel free to call this number back and ask for me. I would love to help you out.”

And just like that Julie Morgans’ voice was no longer a bother.

Remi ran her hand down her face just after she slipped her phone back into her pocket. She shook her head as she walked down the street, passing by kids her own age – kids who she went to high school with. They were sitting along the cement blocks, eating hot dogs and long boarding up and down the path. They watched Remi walked up towards their direction and called out her name. “Remington!”

The brunette looked to her right and saw the group of kids who she graduated with; it was scary to realize how she once called them friends. She licked her lips and flashed them a smile. It was a quick flashback before everything went in opposite directions; they all decided to stay in California, while Remi decided on Michigan. She didn’t blame them for not wanting to be friends.

“Back for Spring Break,” asked a blonde girl with neon sunglasses and a blue raspberry snow cone.

Remi nodded as she walked up to the group. “Yeah, I just got back last night.”

“Sweet. Got any plans for tonight?” Remi looked to her left and looked at the boy with ashy-blonde hair. She grinned and replied, “Do you think I have plans for tonight, Zack?”

The boy laughed and shook his head. “Nah, but I mean you do now.”

Remi pushed her glasses up and crossed her arms. “Oh, really?”

“Yes!” A brunette wearing a floppy sunhat came out from behind and rested her hands on the blonde’s shoulders. “Remi, we’re having a bonfire to kick off Spring Break and you have to come! It’s going to be fun! Just like old times.”

Just like old times.

The group of kids looked at Remy with eager eyes and smiles on their faces. It was really hard for her to say no now. A moment later, she rolled her shoulders and nodded her head. “Fine. Seven o’clock, the usual, Lex?” Remi looked at the girl who was sitting right in front of her.

The blonde slowly removed her sunglasses and looked up at Remi with her bright blue eyes and wide smile. “Always.”

As Remi walked away from the group, she continued down the street, making sure not to get in anyone’s way, especially if they were on bikes or longboards. She dug her hands into her pockets and made a turn towards the parking lot. Beach-goers were making their way to and from their cars, hauling their beach bags, boogie boards, and what not. Remi watched kids run towards the boardwalk with their parents following behind with cameras rolling and flashing, making sure to capture every moment.

Reaching her car, she saw a white van parked near the parking lot entrance. The windows were tinted and the sliding door was wide open. She pulled her keys out and unlocked her car, while her eyes remained on the white van. She saw legs propped out, resting along the edge, but she assumed they were resting in the back seat.

Remi shook her head and got into her car. Once she started the vehicle, she rolled her windows down and turned up the music. As she was about to back out of the space, a figure showed up at her window causing her to step on the break and scream awfully loud.

“Jesus Christ, who do you think you are?” She said, putting her car back into park.

Remi placed her hand over her heart and took a deep breath. She looked at the person who stood outside of her window. It was obviously a guy, due to his height and build. He had a beanie on, sunglasses too, and a flannel shirt with dark jeans. He was thin, but Remi didn’t focus on that too much. She narrowed her eyes at him, even though he couldn’t see due to her sunglasses.

“Well? What the hell are you doing, asshole? Get out of my way!”

The guy raised his hands up to her open window. Finally, he said in that stereotypical beachy-boy tone of voice, “I was wondering if you know about any events happening here on the beach?”

Remi placed both hands on the wheel and said, “What? Who are you?”

“I’m visiting and I was wondering if there’s any-

“You know what, my ex-friends and I are having this bonfire on the beach tonight at 7. It’s by the rocks. Normally, I wouldn’t tell anyone this, hell, I wouldn’t even be talking to weird assholes like you, but it looks like you dress nice so what the hell. There will be beer, but feel free to bring some more. Those kids just love to get drunk,” said Remi with a roll of the eyes.

The guy leaned down and asked, “Ex-friends?”

“Jesus, I have to go. Just be there at 7, alright? Tell them Remi invited you.”

The guy smiled and gave Remi a nod. “Thanks… Remi? I’ll see you there.”

Remi extended her hands out the window and shooed him away. “Yeah, whatever. You should try dressing for the beach. We’re not in the city.”

As the guy took a step back from Remi’s car, she put the car in reverse and backed out of the space. Her eyes drifted back to the guy who was now leaning against the van with his arms crossed and a smile plastered on his face. Was it a mistake now? Screw it, she thought to herself. When she drove passed the van, she didn’t hesitate to shout out, “Welcome to paradise, asshole!”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I haven't written a story like this in a very long time, so I decided it was time to start again. I have been having major Harry feels so I thought it would be a great idea to put it all down into words and form it into some sort of story. I'm not sure if I will be able to update a lot during the week, but I'll try my best. I really hope you guys enjoy this story. Let me know what you think. xo