The Forgotten

The Beginning (Amanda's Point of View)

The sound of the shower woke me from my sleep, Markus no longer holding me. I looked up to the ceiling feeling rather nice until I remembered the news from last night. I have severe anxiety, so I tend to look at the worst case scenarios. I kept an image in my head of one of those things entering my homes. I am not new to zombie movies, my friend Julie and I even planned what to do if it ever happened. I just didn’t think the idea of all of this could possibly be real. I never came across my fear of blood, and where would my parents go. I was lying there stressing, listening to the sound of the shower.

What if I had to kill one of these zombie like creatures? I thought about how I’d do it in my head. I would go for the brain, just like in the movies. I shuttered thinking about the idea of me killing someone else.

I could hear the shower stop, and I just slowly sat up looking at the hallway to my sisters’ bedroom. I also heard them moving around, and talking indistinctly. I looked over at the dog who was sitting on the floor; he was acting more panicked than usual; he was looking around the room growling. My mom and dad walked out of their bedroom dressed to the teeth; like they do before they go out. Markus also walked out of the bathroom dressed in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt.

My mother walked over to her shoes which were by the front door, and started to slip them on.
“Uhhh… Where are you going?” I asked my mother a little confused.

“Your dad and I still have work.” She said not even making eye contact with me.
“Did you not watch the news last night?” I said a little angry with them, did she even understand how dangerous it is out there?

“Amanda life goes on, don’t worry we’ll be back in an hour. Also William spent the night at Grace’s house.” She quickly said as my father grabbed the keys to the car, “We love you, tell your sister’s bye.”

They walked out the door before I could say anything, before I could say goodbye. I ran to the window, and watched them get in the car and drive away until I could no longer see them.
I looked back to Markus, he looked warned down like usual, but I still found him very attractive. I looked back to the hallway and started to head to the door of my sisters’ room. I knocked on the door, “Hey, you guys get up, and get dressed.”

I heard shuffling around in the room, “Okay! One of the kids yelled back.

Maddie and Sarah were a year apart; Sarah being 13 and Maddie being 12. They weren’t necessarily on the same terms with each other. They were exact opposites, like Markus and I only they didn’t agree on much. Sarah was a calm, but funny girl; she was very good with taking care of small children. Maddie had more of a serious personality, and had anger problems; she was always better with animals. She chose to stay away from people.

I waited for them outside of the door, and when they both walked out they went to the kitchen to get a bowl of cereal. Markus was just sitting on the couch, and grabbed the T.V. remote. He pressed the power button on, and what looked like one of those tornado warnings some sort of beeping and it read, “LOCK ALL DOORS! STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS!”

Of course this caused me to run to the doors locking it, and got my sisters in one room. While I freaking out, Markus sat there calmly watching me. I pulled out my phone and of course called Julie, the person that seemed to be helpful in weird situations.

The phone rang, until finally someone answered, “Hey!” Julie said enthusiastically.

“Hey, I’m not too sure what is going on. Why is the emergency alarm on the T.V. on?” I said rushed.

“Um, what?” Julie said slightly confused.

“Have you watched T.V.?” I said as my anxiety got worse.

“Amanda, you need to relax. It’s probably nothing, and if it’s something I’ll drive over there and get you guys.”

“Julie, I have a really bad feeling about this.”

“Just calm down for now, okay?”

“Okay…”

“Also, call me if something bad happens."

“Okay, bye.”

“Bye, Amanda.”Julie said before she hung up.

“Amanda, what’s going on?” Sarah said looking concerned because of the way I was acting.

I was shaking like crazy, and pulled the curtains closed. Markus just walked up to me and put his arms around me, “Amanda, it’ll be fine.”

I was having a panic attack, and started shaking and wrapped my arms around him, “Amanda, why are you so scared?” Markus calmly asked.

“Just my anxiety, I guess.” I said leaning my head on his chest.

There was a long silent moment where I just stayed there in his arms eyes closed; he really knew how to calm me. I could hear my sisters stand up and go back to the kitchen; I also heard Markus’s heart beating. It was a soft flutter, and it made me giggle a little bit. I calmed myself, but right then a sharp scream pierced the air and I nearly jumped out of Markus’s arms eyes now wide. Sarah and Maddie ran in the room scared looking. I looked out the front window watching one of our neighbors being chased by someone. Although I could not quite tell what was dripping from the mouth of the person chasing her. Maddie ran to the window and saw that thing chasing her. My heart was beating like crazy, and I dialed the emergency number. The phone kept ringing, but for some reason I was put on hold. Markus was now looking slightly worried; he walked to the kitchen and looked out the back window.

“Markus, we need to go to the neighbor’s and get help.”

He looked at me and nodded, “Maybe go out the back door so it’ll be safe?”

“Good idea.”

I grabbed a knife from the kitchen and so did Markus, we walked to the back door. I felt my anxiety kick in again, I somehow knew something bad was going to happen.

We jumped over the fence into their yard, and I knocked on the back door. I waited for about a minute, and knocked another time. This time I heard another scream that sounded chilling; it caused the hair to stand up on the back of my neck. Markus tried to open the door, and the screams continued.
He proceeded by kicking the door, until it finally flew open. We both ran in my neighbor was on the floor twitching, half of her face was missing and she was underneath a pool of blood.

I made a sharp squeaking noise, and felt dizzy. Markus stayed calm, and faced me the other way. He crept around the corner and I turned around to follow him.

“Amanda, we need to leave…” Markus whispered.

“Huh?” I said looking up at him.

“Shhh…” He said sneaking to the back door, I followed but felt someone behind me grab my hair.
I let out a scream; Markus quickly turned around and saw that I was on the ground. I looked up into red eyes that were hungry for flesh. I grabbed it by the leg and knocked it down, and I grabbed my kitchen knife. I threw myself on top of the thing, and raised my knife. I paused for awhile and the thing knocked me over on my back. It growled and spit at me and it started to move its face closer to my neck until Markus stabbed it in the back of the head. Blood splattered on my face, and I felt like I was going to be sick. I pushed the body off of me and we ran out the back door. I stopped to catch my breath and we ran to the fence and jumped it. When I landed I fell on my knee cause blood to pour from it. I stumbled to the back door to my house, Markus followed behind and I threw open the door and fell to the floor.

I breathed hard and closed my eyes, and heard Markus call my name silently, “Amanda?”

Everything started to slowly fade…