Status: updating whenever i can!

The Grand Optimist

part one.

Miss Wright,

We are pleased to inform you that we will be granting your wish. We’ll contact you as soon as we’ve talked to the team at Modest! Management. We look forward to making your wish come true!

Your friends at Make A Wish.

Holy shit. That’s all I could think at first. I was absolutely speechless.

The second thing I thought was that I had to tell someone immediately. I didn't care who, I just had to tell someone. So I reached over to where my “call nurse” button was and slapped it as hard as I could.

“Camille Alison Wright, what have I told you about paging me?” My nurse’s name is Jennifer. She can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but she’s one of the kindest people I know. She treats me like I’m normal. Like how everyone used to treat me before I got sick.

“Yeah, unless it’s an emergency, I know, but this is an emergency. This is fucking huge.”

Jen gasps, her hands flying to her hips. “Language!”

I roll my eyes. “I’m meeting One Direction, Jen.”

Jennifer gasps, the beginnings of a smile forming at the corners of her mouth. “Make A Wish came through?”

I grin as wide as I can, sitting up straight in my hospital bed. “They just have to talk to the boys’ management and then we can arrange a date.”

“You’re kidding me,” Jen leans over my bed, smiling back at me, and hugs me, squeezes me as tight as she can. “This is wonderful, Cammie. This is so wonderful. I know this is something you’ve wanted for so long. I’m so glad you’re getting your wish.”

“Are you gonna cry?”

“No! Maybe,” she says, laughing and pulling away. “Do you want to call your mom and dad, or would you like me to, or?”

“Can you hand me my bag? I’ll grab my phone and call them,” I run a hand through my hair, gesturing to the armchair just out of reach from my bed. Jennifer sighs at me.

“I’m just really happy for you, Camille. I’m really happy that Make A Wish came through. You deserve this more than anyone I’ve ever known.”

“Thank you so much, Jennifer,” I say, grinning at her, taking my phone from her hands and unlocking it. To say that I was a nervous to tell my parents would be an understatement. I knew they’d be happy for me, too, just not in the same way Jennifer was happy for me. Mom and Dad never understood why I’d want to use the only wish I have to meet a band, instead of wishing to see the Eiffel Tower or to go to Stonehenge, so it really didn’t surprise me when the call went straight to voicemail.

“Hey, Mom, Dad, just wanted to let you guys know that Make-A-Wish came through and will be contacting One Direction’s management. Figured you’d want to know. It’d be nice if you’d call me once in a while.”

With a huff I slam the phone down in my lap and squeeze my eyes shut, my fingers going to my temples. “They drive me absolutely mad,” I tell Jennifer, who pats my shoulder and kisses my head.

“Don’t let this upset you, Cam. Just think; within the next week, you’ll know the details of your date with One Direction.”

“It’s not a date, Jennifer,” I say, my face flushing bright red.

She shrugs, smirking, and says, “Hey, sweetie, you never know. Maybe one of them will fall in love with you, I hear they’re quite the charmers.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This was sort of a short first chapter, but the next will be longer, I promise!
Thanks to @TheBethanySoFar, onepackofsmokes, @planetwulcan and @Bayleemaine on twitter for reading this in advance and telling me what they think!
If you want to contact me and tell me what you think or give me suggestions, tweet me (@punkgoesashton) or message me on tumblr (whoisjohnocallaghan)! :)