Status: For the beautiful Micah AKA Iris.

Those Three Words

4/4

In the couple weeks that followed Rachel’s and my discussion, I watched Derek carefully when I got my coffee, looking for any clues that he wanted anything more than a friendship with me. And there were a few, like how his fingertips always brushed against mine when I took the surprise beverage, how he grinned extra-brightly at me when compared with the occasional other customers that were there the same time as me, and, of course, the fact that he took the time and effort to come up with a different drink for me every day, complete with a sweet note that never failed to make me smile.

But I still didn’t do anything about it. I didn’t treat him any differently or drop any hints that I wanted to take the relationship further, like I knew Rachel wanted to.

Rachel got so fed up with my continued stand-offish behavior that she stood up in the front of the Creative Writing group one Tuesday and cleared her throat, being sure she grabbed everyone’s attention.

“Hello, fellow writers!” she exclaimed, eliciting a couple of chuckles from the group. “Lena and I are in a bit of a disagreement, and I want you guys to help settle it.”

The buzzing of whispers carried through the room, while I snapped, “Rachel, no!” while flushing violently.

She explained the entire situation in the friendly, endearing way of hers, everyone watching and thinking critically. Every word that came out of her mouth made my blush deepen, my face burning so hotly that I thought it would melt off my skull. “So what I‘ve been saying,” she concluded, “is that Lena should suck up her fears and ask out Derek. What does everyone else think?”

Everyone started talking at the over each other at once, but they all said essentially the same thing: wondering why the hell I hadn’t made a move already.

“The tribe has spoken,” Rachel quoted with a smirk. “So you better come home from class tomorrow with a date with Derek.”

I opened my mouth to protest, to say that she had no right to dictate who I went out with and when I went out with them, but the glares of my various club mates made me second-guess my words. “Fine,” I finally agreed, letting out a short sigh. “You win.”

Image


My palms were sweating like crazy as I neared the coffee shop. My racing heart in my chest just reminded me with every step I took that I had to ask out Derek. He was the first guy that I’d been interested in romantically since Tony, and I wasn’t absolutely positive that I was ready.

Everything started out normally. I walked in, Derek smiled and scribbled down an order on the cup, and I handed over my money. Then, he leaned over and wrote something down on a napkin, which I knew would be my Motivational Saying of the Day.

Grinning so widely that his eyes crinkled in the corners, he handed over the napkin. Without the coffee.

“Derek, before I look at the message,” I started, but he interrupted me.

“No, just look at the napkin first. Please. I can’t wait for your response forever.”

I felt embarrassment flooding my face as I looked down at the words. “GOOD MORNING. I LOVE YOU.”

I looked up and grinned, a wave of intense emotion washing over me, tears collecting in the corners of my eyes as I looked back up at him. His timid demeanor just made him more adorable, more lovable, and I didn’t hesitate before going over to the counter, leaning over and grabbing his shirt collar, and pulling his face to my level so I could connect my lips with his.

He took no time whatsoever to fall into step with me, his hand moving up to cup my face as he deepened the kiss, ignoring the couple of people that milled around us in the otherwise deserted café.

When I finally pulled back, I ran my thumb along his cheekbone and whispered, “So want to go out with me on Friday?”

He nodded. “Okay. Consider it a date, babe.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tee hee. And so here's the conclusion of the story! I'm so glad you guys liked it and that I got so much interest for it. It really meant a lot to me.

And Micah, I love ya, chica! ^_^ And I hope you thought this was cute like I wanted it to be.