‹ Prequel: High School Rocks

High School Blows

Four

"What do you think my brother did" Shannah said. "You can't interview him without me here"

"Shannah this is important"

"Then ask me questions with him ehre" Leena pushed Kyle out of the way.

"Shannah, why did you let your 15 year old brother attend a party you KNEW would have drugs and alcohol?" Leena asked her. She was too good at this.

"I didn't know Kyle was brining alcohol until i got there. Even then Ryan wouldn't let me take him home"

"So you tried to take him home?" Kyle asked. "and he refused" Ryan sighed. they were on to him.

"Yeah, he said he had a friend coming so i told him as long as he didn't tell our parents he could stay. But he couldn't drink or leave my sight"

"You're a good sister" Kyle said. "Anyways...so Ryan why did you want to stay?"

"I had a friend coming"

"Matt told me that Shay asked you and said you would be staying home after the dance" Leena said.

"I changed my mind" Ryan said.

"Who was this friend?"

"None of your business"

"Ryan" Leena said. "I don't know if you know this but...you're on the list"

Ryan acted cool. "Yeah i know...i'm waiting for my call to the office" Leena turned to Kyle.

"Since your sister's a senior i would understand you'd have friends who are seniors...so who did you want to see?" Kyle asked again.

"None of your business" Ryan repeated. "None of your fucking business"

"Ryan" Leena said softly. "You're just a child so you don't even understand---" Ryan cut her off.

"I'm not a child" Kyle smirked at Leena.

"Then why won't you tell us anything? THis is important adult buisness. If you answer us and cooperate you're an adult just like us" Leena said. Ryan hesitated.

"I don't know why you care" he said carefully. "You won't find them"

"Because they're not on the list" Leena said. "Thank you so much for your cooperation...too bad you're still a child" the two walked away.

"What did you do?" Shannah asked him.

"Nothing"

"How come i'm hearing rumors that you cheated on Shay?"

"It's nothing" Who was he? He was not the sweet, innocent little boy she grew up with. Not anymore.

...

"So the person who wrote the list isn't on this list" Matt said. "Wow that totally helps"

"It does too" Kyle said. He thought about it. "Wait, it doesn't make sense"

"Well whoever Ryan went to see that night wrote the list and took the pictures" Leena said. "Now who is that person?"

"Well I saw him with Vanessa" Matt said.

"Vanessa?" Kyle asked. He thought about it. "Ryan and Vanessa have a thing?"

"I saw her kiss him"

"Then that's who he was there for" Leena said. "Ryan was there for Vanessa. Vanessa took the pictures and she clearly wrote the list. She fits the profile!"

"But who poisoned Deanna?" Matt asked.

"Let's go to the hospital after school and find out" Kyle said.

...

"Mrs. Sanders" Matt said as he took a seat in her office. He slouched back in the chair and kicked his feet up on the table. "What up?"

"Nothing much, how are you doing?"

"I'm fantastic" he lied. "How are you?"

"Could be better, could be better" she said. "Wanna tell me about Friday? Start to finish." Matt took a deep breath in.

"I'm only going to say this once" he said. "I woke up Friday morning went to school and did nothing because i didn't want to. After school i spent all my time getting ready for teh dance with the other seniors. I went to the dance, had a blast with my friends at our last school dance" he said. "after the dance Mike said he was having a party. Obviously, since his parents are...were on vacation all week" he continued. "So we went to his house, just a few of us but everything changed when someone brought alcohol whom i will not name. We hung out for a few hours until the cops arrived busting all of us. That's it" he said. "Any questions your honor?"

"So you won't tell me who brought the alchohol?" she asked.

"Nope"

"Were you drinking?" Matt paused. "Truth, please" Matt was going to regret this in the future.

"Yes, i was" he said.

"Did you plan on driving?"

"No, a group of friends and I planned on sleeping over"

"ok" she finished taking notes. "That's all the questions i have for you right now"

"So when will i know if i've been kicked off the baseball team?"

"By the end of the week"

"Fantastic" Matt left the office. He took a deep breath in and out. "At least i was honest" he said.

...

"If it's Vanessa i want to confront her"

"No way" Leena said. "We need to make sure...because if we're right i want everyone to know"

"So go to the hospital" Matt said. "Call me when you know for sure"

"Got it"

Kyle and Leena took Leena's car up to the local hospital. Her parents barely let them into see her but once they found out they were two student ambassadors giving their condolences they let them in. The kids from their school are great liars.

"Hey Deanna" Leena started.

"Hey Leena...what brings you here?"

"Well we told your parents we're student ambassadors" Deanna chuckled.

"Why'd you lie?"

"We're trying to find out something, we think you can help"

"Ok"

"Do you know how you got drunk?"

"I ddin't want to" Deanna said. "Which is why my parents are suing Mike. Vanessa was the only one to give me a drink. Mike gave me water when i told him i wasn't feeling well"

"What was the water in?" Kyle asked.

"A bottle"

"I had water and i was fine" Leena said.

"Well that's why my parents thing he poisoned me"

"He was with Emma the whole night" Kyle said. "Expect at the end when the cops showed up"

"That's when i asked for water"

"Emma wasn't drunk" Leena said. "She didn't have a drop, she just had water"

"So Mike didn't posion me" Deanna said. "Like i tried to tell my parents...but they're too worried and conservative to belive that boys don't want to take advantage of ALL girls"

"If you don't mind me asking, what did Vanessa give you?" Leena asked.

"I asked for some alcohol...to try it. I didn't want anything strong so Vanessa said she'd start me off easy. I guess the only logically explanation was Vanessa giving me the drink"

"How do you know Vanessa, why would you take a drink from her?"

"Oh, we go to the same dance studio" Deanna said. "We're okay friends. Ever since the whole thing with Sohee i tried to back off but we're still neighbors so..."

"So you believe Vanessa poisoned you?"

"Who else would it be?" Leena turned to Kyle.

"She wasn't in any of the pictures, either, so she had to be taking them" Kyle added.

"I don't want to get into this" she said. "Vanessa's ruthless"

"What do you mean?"

"She first got revenge on Sohee. Now she fucked Ryan so she messed with Shay, she went after Mike by calling the cops, she went after Deanna for no..." Leena stopped herself. "She's planning something...who does she want to sabotage now?"

"Me" Kyle said. "I'm next" he didn't know whether to be scared or not.