Miriam

Comfort

I’m reading by Crane’s bedside when he wakes up. “Ms. Webster?”I sigh, realizing we’ve returned to formalities.
“Hello, sir. Are you feeling better?”
He shifts and groans, lips tightening into a hard line.
“I’m fine.”
I shrug and take a step back, out of his reach.“Alright, then. Touch my shoulder, if you can.”
His eyes shine, a flash of Scarecrow as he struggles out of bed and stumbles into me. I should’ve known not to challenge a man like him.
“I see, sir. I’d still like it if you rested.”His eyes are wild and pained.
“You can’t tell us what to do,” he spits, and I swear his irises gleam yellow.
“I’m not, sir. I’m asking you,” I murmur, but he’s fucking lost it. I don’t think he even notices the pain. He shoves me against the wall, pushing his face close to mine.
“I oughta stick you full of needles, make you scream. Pretty for me.”I don’t dare push back against him. His nails are pricking my skin. Scarecrow presses his face to my neck, tongue darting out to taste me. There must be something seriously wrong with me, because it’s turning me on.
“Sir…” He splays a hand across the small of my back, pushing our hips together. He’s hard.
“Scream for me, Miri, wanna hear you scream,” he husks in my ear. I do end up screaming for Scarecrow, though not from fear.
He’s back to Crane when I wake up. I fell asleep with him this time, for the first time. As a bodyguard, as a woman, I’m not used to waking up with someone’s arms around me. I slept with Koi, once, and it was nice, but even she kicked me out of bed once it was over.
Crane is warm, and tense in his sleep, mumbling nonsense in my ear. I consider moving, then tell myself I don’t because he shouldn’t be woken.The room is cozy, which isn’t a word I connect with myself. Brutal, maybe. Violent, sharp, and quick, yeah. Cozy is new.
I can distantly hear creaking, a low hum. Crane’s breathing evens out and I feel very peaceful. It’s nice.I attempt to subtly curl further into Crane, just…because. It works, and he tightens his arms around me, face pressed against my shoulder.
I decide to forget myself for a little, be Miri. Being Miri can be good sometimes, especially when Crane blinks awake and kisses my shoulder.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Scarecrow: [riding through a riot on a hooded horse] There's nothing to fear but fear itself!