Miriam

Koi

I wake up early in the morning, dress, and feed Bill. Crane I allow to sleep, because he doesn’t rest often. I tidy up the room and read for a while, message some old contacts. There’s a new voicemail on my personal phone, the one only a few people know. I open it and smile to myself, recognizing the disjointed, choppy voice.
“Miri, hiya, how you doing? Been a long time, sweetheart, hope you’re pretty as ever, still got that tattoo? Anywho, it’s been a while since Tokyo, I figured you’re not gonna kill me with that cleaver anymore, really am sorry about that by the way, technical difficulties, y’know. Heard you’d gone to Gotham, dunno why, city’s a shithole, but whatever. I’ve got business there for a few days and I was wondering if I could drop by, have a few drinks, chat for a bit. Contact me if yes. Send sixty bucks if no, I’m broke. See ya, love.”
The person speaking is Kaia Xi, my first mentor and one of my few friends. She goes by the name of Koi, and she’s a middle aged, fast talking woman who specializes in technology. I have missed her, so I send a message back.
“Hi, Koi. I’m on the job right now, but I’ve time to spare. Meet me on the corner of Thomas Ave in an hour.”
She sends an agreement as I go to wake Crane. He’s sprawled out on his stomach, wearing boxers and a t-shirt. It makes him look normal, a young man, maybe going through college or exhausted after a night out. The thought disappears when he opens those too-intense blue eyes.
“Miri? What’re you....” he slurs, putting his glasses on.
Crane blinks at me for a few seconds before focusing, swinging his legs over the side of the bed.
“I’m planning to go out with a friend. Is that alright?”
He nods and waves a hand.
“Yes, yes. Of course. You have the day off.”
“Your lunch is in two hours.”
“Mhm.”
He falls back on the bed as I leave the room.

Koi is waiting for me, tapping her foot. She’s always been an impatient woman. She’s of Chinese descent, built short and thin. She has one of those ageless faces, smooth with clever black eyes. She dresses to stand out, always wearing tall black boots or a coat patterned with neon roses. Her face lights up when she sees me.
“Miri! Ya look good, love, you were getting thin and I was worried, I really, really do hope you’re over that little thing in Tokyo, I brought nunchuks as apology. Where do you want to go, hmm? I saw a few good places and I know you’ve always been fond of Italian food, so who’re you working for?”
She takes a breath and I laugh, hugging her.
“I’ve missed you, Koi. There’s a great place called Leo’s down the next street. We’ll eat there.”
I’m chatting with Koi, halfway through a really good canoli, when my phone rings. It’s Crane, and he’s all business, voice hurried.
“Ms. Webster, I need you to get me out of here,” he says quietly.
“Sir?”
“I’ve been arrested.” He sighs, “Again.”
“I’ll be there right away, sir.”
“They’re not just going to let me go,” he hisses, and there’s a touch of Scarecrow in his tone.
“I know, sir. I have preparations.”
“Good. I’ll be waiting.”
He hangs up as I turn to Koi, already apologizing. She just smiles and hugs me goodbye.
“I’ve gotta leave, Miri, but you know how to find me and I’ll see you again. Be safe.”
I squeeze her hand and leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Scarecrow: You've ingested enough toxin to drive 10 men insane! What ARE you?