Status: REVISION HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE - Will update when possible!

Playing the King's ***

This Is What Makes Us Girls

After subtly checking if my Mother had indeed locked the door (she had), I made my way into the en suite wash room, where my Mother had prepared a bucket of boiled water that had cooled down slightly.
I undressed and washed myself thoroughly, ensuring I smelt clean and my skin was clear of all imperfections. I splashed my face with the water and slipped on my shift, before begrudgingly making my way back into my bed chamber where Mother was waiting to turn me into a China doll.

I had to admit, the dress she had chosen for me looked stunning. A metallic brown bodice emphasized my bosom; it was low cut and had long, flared sleeves that clung tightly to my arms. The front was emblazoned with a beautiful blue bow, tied at the top centre of the bodice. The petticoats made the overskirt, which matched the colours of the bodice, broaden. My waist looked miniscule, and my hips and bosom looked larger than I had ever noticed before. I had to remind myself not to become too enamored over my appearance, as it was all for a reason I disagreed with morally.

My Mother opened a circular box and revealed some beautiful matching clog shoes. My feet were small, and so they looked as though they would fit a pixie. I slipped them on over my stockings without a moment's hesitation, still only secretly enjoying this outfit.

I combed through the tangles that had found their way into my hair during my slumber, and made my long, blonde curls more refined and shiny. My hair easily reached my waist, and I smiled at the length it had grown to as I looked in the mirror. I twisted two front pieces of hair and pinned them down to the side of my head, before dabbing some perfume over my chest and behind my ears. I breathed in the scent of wild roses and smiled, wishing to be allowed fresh air more often. My bed chamber window was difficult to open, so I couldn't listen to the birds or breathe in the scent of the outdoors.

"Are you ready, sweetheart?" I heard my Mother mumble from behind. She was folding clothes away and returning them to the drawer they belonged to.

"Oh, yes Mother. Goodness, I'm nervous!" I said, nervously laughing. I wanted to be an actress more than anything else, but formal public appearances terrified me. I stood and made my way to my Mother, who looked me up and down.

"Marvellous. Oh, look at you! So comely. I'm so proud of you for doing this darling." Mother smiled, holding onto my shoulders. She was wearing a more formal dress than she would typically. Mother was always glamorous, but often times very relaxed too. I breathed in deeply, calming my nerves, before she linked her arm with mine and led me out of my bedroom. I looked behind me to ensure that she had left the dirty laundry from the day in my bedroom. She had, and I breathed a sigh of relief at that if nothing else.

******

Night fell, and as I descended the steps into the crowded function room I felt all eyes focus on me, Mother and Father, who were on either side of me.
The room was full to the brim with lavishly dressed men and women, wearing feathered caps and wide dresses. Alcohol was in free flow, and a large banquet which people were taking food from left, right and centre was laid on the table.

I was led to a man that looked as though he were my Mother's age, and I presumed that he was my soon to be fiance.

He turned to me, and I was immediately repulsed. His face was long, like a tombstone, and his eyes were sunken and dull. The curled wig he wore was dark to match his eyebrows, and came down to his breast. I saw his gaze travel down to my chest and I felt violated inside, but I knew I had to keep the facade up until tonight. My Mother and Father introduced me to the man who was eyeing me up hungrily.

"Blossom, this is Count Mountbatten. This has been planned for a year or two, so please don't let us down." My Father said, a stern expression affixed to his face. No dramatic change there then. I smiled in reply, bowing my head to him as he walked away with my Mother.

Count Mountbatten bared his grisly teeth at me as he smiled, his dark moustache tickling his upper lip. I smiled politely, waiting for him to speak so as not to say anything out of turn as 'the woman'.

"Good day, m'lady. May I say you are the fairest woman I ever laid eyes on I think in my entire life." the Count smiled at me, bowing as if I was King Charles II or something. I smiled and blushed, more out of embarrassment at being treated this way than anything else.

I curtseyed back, and he took my hand and led me out to the conservatory room. I was thankful to be getting some air; my bodice was tight and the room was crowded and warm, though it was predictable what was to happen.

"M'lady-"

"Blossom." I said, already tired of being referred to as 'm'lady'

"Blossom. I think you know the reason I am here," Mountbatten started, taking my hands and looking down into my eyes with those dim, faded eyes. I looked up at him and attempted to show some enthusiasm.
"Well, I think you are possibly one of the most beautiful women in the country, and I have seen a lot of women." I had to chuckle in my head at that comment. I had heard stories of Mountbatten's times in London at the King's court and knew that he had done much more than just 'see' those women.

"Why thankyou, Count." I said, smiling up at him and trying not to show my impatience.

"Well, I wondered if you would possibly do me the honour of making me a very proud, happy man, by taking my hand in marriage?" He asked. I was taken aback at his bluntness, but it was admirable. I needed to say yes for now anyway, so I put the practice I had acquired in acting into action and made a facial expression that displayed a shy happiness. I glanced to the side, and noticed the majority of the function room watching us. My gaze returned to Count Tombstone.

"Count, I know not what to say but... Yes!" I said, and he smiled. I saw his face descend onto mine, and his mouth moved hard against mine. I felt nothing for this man. My plan had to work tonight, or I was left with this for my entire life.

I spent the evening showing around the ring I had recieved, and I also realised how much of a braggart the Count was. He was speaking of me as though I wasn't there to his male acquaintances, and other times he was discussing money and possessions. I stayed very quiet most of the time, for I had nothing nice to say of my new fiance. I just longed for the party to end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disappointed with this chapter, but I stopped halfway through and came back to it so it was a bit split up.

Comment, rate and sub! :)