Status: REVISION HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE - Will update when possible!

Playing the King's ***

The Gate Is Down And Now We're Going In

I jumped off my horse, who I had named Benjamin after my dear friend, and stood in awe at the palace gates. They were tall, dark black and beautifully imposing. Two guards stood watch outside of the black, cast iron gate with more than a single weapon. If the gates were this overwhelming, I couldn't imagine what the interior of the palace would be like. If of course I ever was able to see the inside...

I strolled up to the guardsmen who readied their weapons. I forgot that I was still in male clothing. I removed the hat from my head and let my long hair tumble down, showing them I was but a woman, someone they shouldn't be afraid of.

"Hello, I was wondering if possibly I could be considered for work in the palace? I would work in the lowest ranks, and you wouldn't have to feed me, I have my own money..." I said, trailing off and drawing the purse full of bills and coins.
The two guardsmen looked at each other when they realised I was more than a mere street urchin, and gave me a sceptical once over.

"We shall escort you to a wing of the palace which no member of the royal family is currently using, and you can have a trial day cleaning a servant's chamber. Does that sound acceptable to you?" One of the guards asked very generously. I nodded with a mixture of excitement and enthusiasm, wanting any job the palace could offer me.

"Oh yes, anything!" I exclaimed. The guardsmen turned and opened the gates carefully, being sure to let only myself, Benjamin and one of them in before they closed again.

"So, if I may ask, what is a little lady like you doing all on your own in Kensington?" The guard, whose name was Lionel, asked me. I looked at the ground, considering my answer.

"I lived on the Isle of Wight. I belonged to a very well endowed family, wealth wise. I'm educated, brought up the correct way, but also have my feet firmly on the ground. That is why I had to escape. I couldn't cope with being waited on hand and foot; it wasn't fair, so I decided to make a run on the night I became engaged. The Arretons?" I said, finishing with a question to see if he knew of my merchant Father.

"I think I may have heard mention of a Mr. Arreton. So, you just look a bit scruffy from the journey, I presume?" Lionel asked inquisitively as we strolled with Benjamin along the pebbled path.

"Oh, yes. I apologise immensely for my appearance. I didn't have time to buy a new dress and brush my hair before I made my way to the palace. I caught a carriage at Portsmouth to Shepherd's Bush, then rode East on Benjamin here." I said, patting my new animal friend's side. Lionel looked surprised at my stamina as a woman. I found that I liked surprising men.
"What kinds of promotions can I expect here then?" I asked, batting my relatively long eyelashes at the man I was strolling casually beside. We were only in the King's home, of course.

"Well, there's a lot of things that go on at this palace. I couldn't name a job for you until they see your strengths. For now we'll simply stay with cleaning. I'm only a guard, unfortunately." Lionel said, smiling at me kindly. I was shocked at how lovely he was, being a solemn royal guard and all.

"That sounds fine to me. Will I be able to keep my money? I stole it from my Father - I say stole, it was probably going to be left to me anyway." I softly said, hoping he wouldn't disappoint me.

"You will have your own sleeping quarters. It won't be very large, but that's obviously to be expected. You can store it there if I find you a lock box." Lionel kindly offered. At least he understood my situation.

"Thank you, Lionel. I'm glad you understand my predicament. I just can't wait to start working here!" I said, excited at the prospect of possibly meeting some people who work in major theatre more than working in the vicinity of royalty.

I was led to a small building, away from the main part of the palace. Lionel called a young man over who took Benjamin away to the stables, and turned to me.

"If you can make a good impression in here, you should have no trouble fitting in at the palace. It is mainly young maids and cleaning staff in here, so they shall be doing exactly the same as you. Provided you can clean one room until it's shining like crystal, you can have the job full time. Good luck!" Lionel said, kissing my hand tenderly before strolling heavily footed back to his post.

I turned to the large wooden door in front of me and sighed, panicking about what to expect from the women inside. I was dressed like a bloke, what would they think of me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Yet again, I feel this is quite filler like, but I wanted to get her palace entrance out of the way. Now we can really get into her character and how she reacts around new people she'll be living with :)