Status: REVISION HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE - Will update when possible!

Playing the King's ***

Sweetness and Danger

I had difficulty sleeping that night. My mind was continuously replaying the day's events in a loop, trying to make sense of everything.

When I decided to try for a job at Kensington, I hadn't expected the people to be so forward and accepting of new faces; I worried I wouldn't be able to cope with all of this after all and end up returning home, tail between legs. What if the court was too forthcoming... too much of what I had wanted or expected? I'd been hidden away from this decadence and sensuality for my whole life; my first experiences with a man in a sexual way were with Ben, so it was new to me. I had to blink away thought after thought, trying to count sheep to distract my running mind.

Needless to say it didn't work, so I stayed awake and watched the gardens from the window of my quarters. A guard whom I hadn't met before was taking what looked like four spaniels for a walk, leaving the droppings for one of us to remove before the King awoke in a few hours, of course.
Nothing as exciting, interesting or deliciously tempting as what was presumably happening inside of the palace was happening here. I sighed, making a mist full of lust and confusion on the window. My mind was inordinately conflicted.
One the one hand - my moralistic hand - what Wilmot had offered repulsed me. I didn't accept being treated like all of the other women too weak to say no - just to act as a wind-up sex toy, regardless of his social standing or whatever job he did.

But then there was the euphoria of what I had felt with him... something I'd never yet experienced until now, and wanted to experience again in as many ways as possible. The excitement of the possibility of someone opening the door, being caught or people finding out what we did... simply thinking about it made my heart race and adrenaline pulse through my body. A smile encroached onto my lips. John had said himself, 'you're not like other women'. He obviously knew I had my own mind to say no if I honestly felt like it. What did I have to lose?
This part of my mind was reminding me who I was and why I ran away - recklessness. I wanted to destroy every last scrap of my past and start afresh; become a travelled, intelligent but non-conformist woman. I wanted to be something impressive - something that would shock my family were they to ever find out.

Thinking this way made everything clear. John was the answer.

I threw my shawl over my shoulder due to the coldness of the early morning, made sure that my lockbox was locked and hidden and made my way silently out of my room, closing the door with quiet precision. I turned around breathing a sigh of relief, only to be confronted by Betty's gaunt frame.

"Sweetheart, where are you going?" Her naturally stern voice asked.

"I, uh..." I stuttered, not knowing what to say but enjoying the rush. I thought back to my reading of improvisation in acting, trying to think of something on the spot. Betty crossed her arms over her flat chest and tilted her head to the side, waiting for me to stop dithering. I scrambled around in my mind trying to think of something. In the end, I went for the boring.

"Betty, I couldn't sleep. First night getting used to this kind of work, so it's new to me I suppose. It could be the London life and air too. I was just going to go for a walk." I said, smiling my 'actress' smile at her.
She made a noise that sounded extremely disapproving in reply.

"I'll come with you then. Us maids aren't supposed to be out and about the grounds after 9 evening unless a special event is happening." Betty sighed after a long, pregnant pause. She turned to grab her shawl from her room.

"No!" I yelled, leaping forward and grabbing her arm. I let go and pretended I had been dusting off her arm, realising I had probably looked even more off.
"I mean, I need to clear my head. I wouldn't want my foolishness making you tired for work tomorrow." I said, smiling pleadingly this time. Betty rolled her eyes at me before breathing out a long, drawn out 'I really shouldn't let you' sigh.

"You're not allowed to, but I suppose as the newbie you can make your own mistakes." She said, winking before walking towards her quarters, watching me all the while. I breathed another sigh of relief as her door shut, feeling my heart pounding as though it would break my ribcage.

I stepped outside of the maids' house and breathed in the cool evening air. The lightly blowing breeze made my blonde curls blow around my shoulders, long and wild. My night dress flapped under my shawl, and I shivered as the wind nipped at my legs.
I wandered carefully towards the gate where I hoped Lionel was, only to find he was on his way towards the palace; I presumed he was switching shifts with someone else.

"Lionel!" I yelled in as inconspicuous a manner I could, waving him towards me.

"Blossom? What on earth are you doing out at this hour, you silly mare?" He said, sounding shocked. I was fond of seeing that expression from men.

"It doesn't matter. Look, I need your help. I need to get into the palace to find John. John Wilmot?" I said, though he probably knew the Earl anyway being one of the King's guards.

"Rochester? Oh Bloss... You're not getting involved with him are you?" Lionel asked, furrowing his eyebrows before linking arms with me and walking, leading me to the palace knowing I would accept no protest to my actions anyway.

"Why?" I asked inquisitively, with a hint of defensiveness.

"Nothing. I shall escort you to his bed chamber. I presume that's where he is..." Lionel said, a sarcastic edge to the last sentence. I scowled up at the taller man.

"What's your issue with John?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"I'm just... Not sure about that one. You know that he was exiled not long ago?"

"King Charles obviously allowed him back though, so bang goes that theory Lionel!" I answered triumphantly.

"I suppose you're right sweetheart. Just be careful how you handle yourself, please. How do you know him, besides?" Lionel asked, looking down at me as we approached the door. Lionel pulled a big key out.

"Oh... He started talking to me while I was working last. He told me to come to see him at some point. I couldn't sleep, so I thought this as good a time as any." I mumbled, trying not to blush to myself.

"He must like you then. Most of the time he looks down his nose at anyone but pretty ladies of the court, actresses and royalty. Sometimes even royalty isn't graced with a smile from the Earl. As long as his prick is fully satisfied and his liver surely drenched in gin, he's usually tolerable. Sorry! That was an awful thing to say to a lady!" Lionel said, rectifying what he said with a shake of the head, his slightly long, dark hair shaking as he did so. I couldn't help but boom with laughter.

"Excuse me? Who's the escapee fiancée of Count Mountbatten who wants to do everything BUT act nice like a lady?" I replied, nudging Lionel with my elbow. He breathed out a deep chuckle.

"I suppose so darlin'. Anyway, here we are." He whispered quietly as we approached a dark, wooden door deep into the palace. I looked at him, breathed in quickly and nodded.

Lionel left me and I composed myself and my heart rate before going to knock.

"Come in." I heard that wonderful husky voice say before I'd even knocked. He must have heard us talking outside.

I opened the door as my heart began beating wildly again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment/Rate/Sub lovelies!

Thanks for reading!