Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter eleven

The next morning when I fluttered my eyes open I was confused for a moment. I remembered getting home and the alike I just did not remember falling asleep. I giggled to myself as I ran my hands through my greasy hair and noticed my pyjamas were on backwards. I was in such a giddy mood last night; I had laughed myself to sleep.

I hauled myself out of bed and noticed I was more tired than hungover. I grabbed a pair of light plain blue jeans, a plain casual black shirt and a pink skate brand hoodie and headed to the bathroom.

I had to go through the lounge room to get the bathroom and I smirked to myself as I saw Jessica still heavily passed out on the couch.

After showering, blow-drying my hair straight and getting changed I studied my appearance in the mirror.

Apparently I looked more like my mother than my father, but when I look at photos of her I feel like I don’t really look like either.

I, like my uncle Raymond had missed out on the alleged flaming red hair Caine gene and had golden brunette locks instead. I did however have the Irish pale skin with a few freckles lightly scattered around my nose, which had failed to fade away in my youth. My mother and father both shared the same eye colour, which was passed onto me – blue.

Other than that I felt like I looked nothing like my mother. She was blonde, tall, thin and had beautiful porcelain like skin. She gave up the modelling career she was trying to launch when she fell pregnant with me apparently. I may have some similar facial features that you just couldn’t tell from a photo.

I then smiled to myself. Mike thought I was attractive. I had never had a real issue in attracting the opposite sex before, but it felt different to hear it from Mike as opposed to eighteen-year-old boys. It felt more genuine to hear it from a respected member of society.

After applying my make up I decided to go wake Jessica as the morning was now definitely getting on.

“Wakey wakey” I snorted as I shook her awake.

She sent out a small groan but immediately sat up which indicated to me that she was already awake, or at least her sleeping wasn’t very deep.

“I feel like shit and don’t remember anything about last night after we beat those guys at beer pong and drank their drinks. Care to enlighten me?” Jessica asked, her question sounding more like a long drawn out moan.

“They came onto us, you got angry because they spoke about an upcoming band called Green Day and stormed out, then your dad’s partner drove us home.” I grinned.

“You mean Logan? How did that happen? Did he know we were drunk?” Jessica asked, her eyes opening wide.

“Kay, here’s the plan. We have lots of bacon and eggs; dad buys them from the market and gets a good deal because he helped the stall keeper out once. So I shall make you bacon and eggs, then we’ll go grab a cup of coffee and discuss last night.” I proposed.

“Can I shower whilst you cook? I’m sure I look like a strung out crack whore.” Jessica asked me.

I laughed and nodded, unsure of how to reply. She didn’t look picture perfect, but I’m sure I looked like her when I first woke up, if not worse.

***

“I can’t believe Logan drove us home when we were like that! Must have been because of dad. I hope he doesn’t tell dad about that night!” Jessica squealed over her large mocha.

“Oh I have a feeling he won’t.” I smirked after taking a large sip of my skinny latte.

“…why?” Jessica asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

“You can’t tell anyone. No one at school, and especially not your dad.” I demanded in a serious tone.

Jessica said nothing but crossed her heart and I laughed. She wouldn’t tell anyone, but I liked the extra comfort.

“Um, when you passed out, Mike admitted he had a small crush on me and found me attractive and stuff. So we kissed…twice.” I admitted, my face heating up.

Jessica’s eyes widened in disbelief and I was glad she hadn’t taken a sip of her mocha or she would have spat it out all over the table.

“What kind of kiss? Peck? Make out? Australian?” Jessica asked me.

“What the hell is an Australian kiss?” I asked her, raising an eyebrow.

“Like a French kiss…just down under!” she chortled and I decided to ignore her lame joke.

“I guess the first one was kind of a make out. We lightly kissed but it was for a little under a minute. The second one he grabbed me and kissed me for a few seconds before he ran off. It was definitely very different to any kiss I’ve ever had before.” I informed Jessica.

“That’s just…ew. I mean Logan is okay looking I guess, he’s not hot though. He’s kinda old though…” Jessica remarked.

“He’s only five years older than Kurt Cobain, it’s not like he’s a grandfather!” I quickly defended, turning bright red again when I realised what I was doing.

“When you put it that way it doesn’t seem so bad I guess. I forgot that he’s still a fairly young and new detective, considering his other two partnerships got cut short because they got shot.” Jessica said to me.

“Really? I had no idea. Poor guy, that would really mess you up.” I commented.

“Yeah, I forgot their names, your dad would have been working there at the time though and would know about them. The first one was killed outside his house by some low life; the other was only wounded during a raid. But look at you, getting all defensive and sympathetic. You have a crush.” Jessica remarked proudly, adding a grin at the end of her remark.

“Whatever, think what you want. We both agreed to kiss and that be it. Maybe if situations were different like I wasn’t in high school, or my dad wasn’t a detective in the same precinct than maybe you could come to that conclusion.” I stated, wrinkling my nose.

“Aw, forbidden love. I feel you there. I tried to talk to that Ryan guy but he totally brushed me off.” Jessica complained.

I secretly rolled my eyes but then began to comfort her.

I was glad I had now gotten that out of the way. I had drunkenly kissed her dad’s thirty-two year old partner. The problem was though that I definitely would have done it sober, and if I had the possibility I’d probably do it again.